• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The Last of Us Remastered Patched for Pro/HDR Support

Guys , you have to go to your PS4 settings and turn on Full RGB for HDR to work properlly. Otherwise if its to Automatic, it will stay in limited color range on PS4.

I had the same issue with DX

Also Make sure your TV HDMI outputs Full HDR color output.

Huh, I definitely had it set to Full but it looks like it was reset at some point.

Ok a few more, this time with RGB Full

Non HDR

img_20161031_221701v4ug4.jpg

HDR

img_20161031_221722f6uep.jpg

Non HDR

img_20161031_221638mzusq.jpg

HDR

img_20161031_221617k2ufv.jpg

Unknown?

On my Sony X800D it looks much better! Grass textures have more detail, things look blurry without HDR now! :O

JaseMath

Maybe I'm ignorant as fuck and part of the problem, but all HDR seems to be doing is evening out the saturation levels, making things look more
dull
natural.

Right?

Maybe I'm ignorant as fuck and part of the problem, but all HDR seems to be doing is evening out the saturation levels, making things look more
dull
natural.

Right?

Someone in this thread did say that the HDR impact in this is on the very low side of games they've seen.

I can't really say as this is my first experience viewing HDR content on my television.

huh1678

Banned
dull
natural.

Right?

We can't see the HDR difference on our SDR monitors or tv and HDR is something to be experienced in person with really. So its not really your fault, its just impossible to show how it truly affects picture quality.

Best to just visit your local electronic store and see them in person. Maybe bring a usb with different 4k footage and ask to demo it.

McSpidey

The change in saturation will be a combination of HDR10 standard's BT2020 colourspace container finally letting developers display colours as intended on a wide colour gamut TV, rather than the TV linearly interpolating 709 content to the TVs out-of-spec capability, and a users TV colour saturation settings being different for each input type, which can usually be increased on HDR10 signals desired.

Ok, last one (HDR on the right)

img_20161031_223043lluqw.jpg

While the colours are more muted, there is more detail visible on the rock and the cracks are more apparent.

Keep in mind I believe my TV is only 8-bit so this isn't *true* HDR

JaseMath

We can't see the HDR difference on our SDR monitors or tv and HDR is something to be experienced in person with really. So its not really your fault, its just impossible to show how it truly affects picture quality.

Best to just visit your local electronic store and see them in person. Maybe bring a usb with different 4k footage and ask to demo it.

I immediately thought of Carl Sagan and Flatland while reading this.

MazeHaze

Banned
For those saying colors look muted in "hdr pics" you really have to see it on an hdr display. Contrast doesn't come accross in off screen pics at all.

Shin-Ra

Just as you're entering the graveyard in Bill's Town, the embers rising from the pile of burned bodies looks niiice.

dallow_bg

nods at old men
For those saying colors look muted in "hdr pics" you really have to see it on an hdr display. Contrast doesn't come accross in off screen pics at all.

The person who took the pictures says his TV looks far more muted.
In the end though, these pictures are dumb.

1. You obviously can't capture HDR in off screen pics.
2. One person admitted their TV is an 8 bit panel.
3. I'm willing to bet everyone's HDR and non-HDR color settings are way off from each other.

The person who took the pictures says his TV looks far more muted.
In the end though, these pictures are dumb.

1. You obviously can't capture HDR in off screen pics.
2. One person admitted their TV is an 8 bit panel.
3. I'm willing to bet everyone's HDR and non-HDR color settings are way off from each other.

Yeah, sorry. I hate off screen shots as much as the next person. I'm mostly sharing them to try and determine if I have things calibrated properly. I urge everyone not to try to judge HDR from what's posted on GAF via cell phone pictures

dallow_bg

nods at old men
Yeah, sorry. I hate off screen shots as much as the next person. I'm mostly sharing them to try and determine if I have things calibrated properly. I urge everyone not to try to judge HDR from what's posted on GAF via cell phone pictures

No problem man.
Your colors in HDR and non-HDR should be a lot closer to each other so you may need to do some tweaking.

Rbk_3

Do you have the KS8000? If so, is your color space set at Auto or Native?

Since it doesn't automatically change in game mode like Movie mode, you need manually set the color space set to Native for HDR, and it should be set to Auto for non HDR.

Per rtings

"For HDR gaming, once that game is enabled, increase the backlight to max, set the 'Color Space' to 'Native' and set 'Smart LED' to high."

Hm. Is it just me or do the colors seem muted in the HDR pics? Is that an intentional effect?

It's looks like the extra colors make the lighting and picture looks more natural, realistic. I'm so salty my 2014/2015 top of the line xbr is the ONLY tv from that year that they are not updating with HDR support. :(

Since it doesn't automatically change in game mode like Movie mode, you need manually set the color space set to Native for HDR, and it should be set to Auto for non HDR.

Per rtings

"For HDR gaming, once that game is enabled, increase the backlight to max, set the 'Color Space' to 'Native' and set 'Smart LED' to high."

The option is greyed out for some reason but looks like it's already set to native anyway

Anyways it seems like some people on Xbox are having similar issues

https://forums.xbox.com/en-US/thread/8FDA6B34-B16B-43F1-857B-EDA0E8EDE00F

If I bring up my smart TV pop up menu the colours are still perfectly fine so I'm pretty sure it's the way it's receiving the signal from my ps4 that isn't right

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
An other two:

HDR sky:
https://s13.postimg.org/4fpjbtqhj/20161101_043112.jpg

No HDR sky:
https://s17.postimg.org/x0i16olyn/20161101_043137.jpg

Difference speaks for itself and those are pictures taken with my S5 camera, in person it looks much better and more dramatic.

WTF

Ok, last one (HDR on the right)

img_20161031_223043lluqw.jpg

While the colours are more muted, there is more detail visible on the rock and the cracks are more apparent.

Keep in mind I believe my TV is only 8-bit so this isn't *true* HDR

That looks like a completely different rock texture.

vatstep

This poster pulses with an appeal so broad the typical restraints of our societies fall by the wayside.

Per rtings

I think the Rtings info is outdated. They fixed this in a later firmware; Auto should pretty much always be used. In the testing that I did, Native DRASTICALLY over-saturates color on SDR content, while on HDR content it dulls colors a bit.

AVS member King Richard is really knowledgable about this and has written several FAQs, so I trust his opinion on the matter:

http://www.avsforum.com/forum/166-l...00-ks8500-owners-thread-181.html#post47369793

Vuze

Meh, sad to hear this is yet another disappointing implementation it seems... judging from some posts here anyway.

Will try it tonight. I think Shadow Warrior 2 remains the most impressive HDR title so far that I've played. Obduction got an update yesterday as well that I'll need to check out.
Nice to see more and more games are rolling out.

Withnail

Looks great on my Bravia x90c. Only issue is this set doesn't have local dimming so in dark areas when there is a highlight like a torch it blows out the contrast in the whole scene, which is a bit distracting. But other scenes (particularly daylight) look fantastic.

Makes me more excited for my PS4P.

Meh, sad to hear this is yet another disappointing implementation it seems... judging from some posts here anyway.

Will try it tonight. I think Shadow Warrior 2 remains the most impressive HDR title so far that I've played. Obduction got an update yesterday as well that I'll need to check out.
Nice to see more and more games are rolling out.

I'll second SW2, damn that looks good in HDR.

JawzPause

Ok a few more, this time with RGB Full

Non HDR

[IMttp://abload.de/img/img_20161031_221701v4ug4.jpg[/IMG]

HDR

[Ihttp://abload.de/img/img_20161031_221722f6uep.jpg[/IMG]

Non HDR

http://ablo031_221638mzusq.jpg[/IMG]

HDR

http://abload.de/img/img[/QUOTE]

Wow you can see a significant difference there, thanks! Now if only hdr tvs were a bit cheaper...

zoukka

Off-screen shots viewed on a non-HDR set. Not very informative on how the game actually looks on a HDR-set.

Hesh

Serious question: why do so many people take HDR comparison shots with their phone? Does the PS4's built-in screenshot functionality not work with HDR enabled or something?

McSpidey

Serious question: why do so many people take HDR comparison shots with their phone? Does the PS4's built-in screenshot functionality not work with HDR enabled or something?

Both Xbox One S and PS4 do HDR to SDR tone-mapped conversions on screenshots so it's possible for people to view them. People try and take photos in an ill-fated attempt to show others what they're actually seeing output from their TVs.

McSpidey

Oh weird. Is there not an option to disable that?

No, and so far Xbox have told me directly they have no intention to change that. Don't know about PS4 but I'd doubt it since they're unsharable and it's called the share button.

Top Bottom