• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

5$ to fix Hdr + PSVR

f@luS

More than a member.
Hi guys. I though it was worth a new thread

Many including me were worried about having to deal with many cables , connecting / reconnecting to enjoy both ps4(pro) in hdr and PSVR

After trying and thinking about many solutions on the PSVR hdr topic, I've followed an advice and bought a simple coupler that I duck taped to my PSVR unit.

It takes me 2sec to switch cables , it doesnt look bad , and just tested hdr with last of us : no issue

5$ hdmi coupler

JohngPR

I wouldn't mind more info on this like how it works and which coupler did you buy specifically.

It's hard to make out what you connected there to get it up and running correctly.

f@luS

More than a member.
I wouldn't mind more info on this like how it works and which coupler did you buy specifically.

It's hard to make out what you connected there to get it up and running correctly.
Simple hdmi coupler 2.0. I bought a 2 pack for 6$. Single one are obviously cheaper

I just took both hdmi from the PSVR into the coupler. And tada. No need to touch PS4 or tv hdmi

As I duck taped it , it stays on the PSVR unit. Feels like part of it

Keep in mind that splitters without HDCP bypassing won't transmit copy-protected content (like Netflix), and splitters which can bypass them are sort of in a grey area.

f@luS

More than a member.
Keep in mind that splitters without HDCP bypassing won't transmit copy-protected content (like Netflix), and splitters which can bypass them are sort of in a grey area.
It's a coupler. A simple way to use two hdmi to have a bigger cable size. Signal isn't touched.

I'm a bit confused, what about the ps4 pro is different that it requires this?
PS4 and pro. It just that PSVR doesn't support hdr pass through. With this it's really simple

JGamer

Neo Member
For HDCP passthrough every device in the chain needs to have HDCP 2.2 . It doesn't matter if it is only a coupler. If it isn't compliant, it shouldn't pass an encrypted signal. Whether it does or not is more of a gray area, but those are the rules.

Personally, I think they are ridiculous, but this is the system we are operating under with the move to 4K content.

JohngPR

Simple hdmi coupler 2.0. I bought a 2 pack for 6$. Single one are obviously cheaper

I just took both hdmi from the PSVR into the coupler. And tada. No need to touch PS4 or tv hdmi

As I duck taped it , it stays on the PSVR unit. Feels like part of it

AHHHH ok. So when you are ready to play an HDR game, you unplug both HDMIs from the PSVR breakout box and plug them into the coupler, essentially making both cables one long cable that goes to the TV. Took me a second to figure it out. LOL

We'll see how well this life hack works with the PS4 Pro, which will have legit HDMI 2.2 ports.

I'm a bit confused, what about the ps4 pro is different that it requires this?

The PSVR brick gets hooked up between your Ps4/Ps4 Pro and your TV, but it doesn't pass through an HDR signal, so when you want to have an HDR signal you have to get rid of the PSVR brick in between, which sucks because it means you always have to change HDMI cables when you you switch between normal games and PSVR games.

f@luS

More than a member.
AHHHH ok. So when you are ready to play an HDR game, you unplug both HDMIs into the from the PSVR breakout box and plug them into the coupler, essentially making both cables one long cable that goes to the TV. Took me a second to figure it out. LOL

We'll see how well this life hack works with the PS4 Pro, which will have legit HDMI 2.2 ports.
Exactly. It will be ok. And really the easiest method.

Pejo

So with your solution, you're still physically swapping cables OP? Pass.

There's gotta be a way to do this via a simple HDMI switch or something of that nature.

Still can't believe Sony didn't think this through. I would imagine there would be a fair amount of overlap with early adopters of VR and an interest in HDR gaming.

f@luS

More than a member.
So with your solution, you're still physically swapping cables OP? Pass.

There's gotta be a way to do this via a simple HDMI switch or something of that nature.

Still can't believe Sony didn't think this through. I would imagine there would be a fair amount of overlap with early adopters of VR and an interest in HDR gaming.
Is your PSVR headset always connected ? I don't think
This takes 2sec top. Let câbles on the coupler and just put on the PSVR unit when you plug your headset as well

Native pass through would have been better but this is the easiest way to do without imho

rinse82

Need a step by step

Was about to return my psvr in disgust of this issue but if it's an easy workaround I'll keep it

Peltz

AHHHH ok. So when you are ready to play an HDR game, you unplug both HDMIs from the PSVR breakout box and plug them into the coupler, essentially making both cables one long cable that goes to the TV. Took me a second to figure it out. LOL

The bolded sentence needs to be in the OP (which is not clear as it is currently written).

Elegant solution, given the circumstances. This is way better than using any sort of HDMI switch and requires no additional cables. Nice job GAF.

Sorry but this is not a solution.
It just makes the hassle more convenient/faster.

If at least the PS4pro would have included the processing unit or something. Sony half-assing everything :/

f@luS

More than a member.
Duct tape
Swapping cables

No.
It's a double faced duck tape. You can't see it. It's stable.
Again let cables on the coupler all time. Just put them on PSVR box at the same time you plug your headset. No hassles.

I'm just trying to share the most convenient way. I was very worried. Now I'm ok at least

If I follow the other thread correctly, there's apparently signal loss when doing so (ie sparklies)
Yep!
I wonder if he was using hdmi 2.0 cables all throughout. I don't think you should mix it with 1.4 cables.
All HDMI 2.0 cables were used. The issue, as identified by .hacked, is that earlier PS4 models don't seem to pump out enough voltage to go through an unpowered switch without dropping some signal. Using a "Certified Premium" HDMI cable, and likely a lower AWG cable, from the PS4 to the switch keeps the signal resistance in check enough to make it through the switch without issue.

CyberChulo

Yep!

All HDMI 2.0 cables were used. The issue, as identified by .hacked, is that earlier PS4 models don't seem to pump out enough voltage to go through an unpowered switch without dropping some signal. Using a "Certified Premium" HDMI cable, and likely a lower AWG cable, from the PS4 to the switch keeps the signal resistance in check enough to make it through the switch without issue.

Looks like he's using a switch and not a splitter. I'll order this and try it out. Should be coming by Thursday.

Looks like he's using a switch and not a splitter. I'll order this and try it out. Should be coming by Thursday.
A splitter shouldn't even be considered a solution currently. HDMI specs will always default to the lowest common denominator. This may become a non-issue with the PS4 Pro, since it's safe to assume it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Hrrmmm... food for thought.

I am still confused about how this coupler is a solution to switch between using PSVR HDMI signal to your TV versus using the direct PS4 (HDR) signal to your TV.

It's just an extension device...

The PSVR brick gets hooked up between your Ps4/Ps4 Pro and your TV, but it doesn't pass through an HDR signal, so when you want to have an HDR signal you have to get rid of the PSVR brick in between, which sucks because it means you always have to change HDMI cables when you you switch between normal games and PSVR games.

Are you fucking serious? What shit is this?

I am still confused about how this coupler is a solution to switch between using PSVR HDMI signal to your TV versus using the direct PS4 (HDR) signal to your TV.

It's just an extension device...

Normally the PSVR takes input from the PS4 and then bridges the connection to output to your TV. What the OP is suggesting is when you're done, you unplug those two cables from the Processor Unit of the PSVR and use the coupler he's taped to it to now bridge that connection.

IMO, it's a pretty terrible solution to be constantly having to unplug and replug cables. It's a shame that the 1x2 and the 2x1 switches aren't working out because that would be ideal, coupled with IR so that you can hit a single button on a Logitech Harmony to switch modes.

Right now, there is no good solution. There are only solutions to make it suck slightly less.

A coupler is a solution only in that it saves the PS4's HDMI port from excessive wear-and-tear.
It's a shame that the 1x2 and the 2x1 switches aren't working out because that would be ideal
A number of GAFfers, including myself, are able to get a 1x2 HDMI switch to work without issue.

Normally the PSVR takes input from the PS4 and then bridges the connection to output to your TV. What the OP is suggesting is when you're done, you unplug those two cables from the Processor Unit of the PSVR and use the coupler he's taped to it to now bridge that connection.

IMO, it's a pretty terrible solution to be constantly having to unplug and replug cables. It's a shame that the 1x2 and the 2x1 switches aren't working out because that would be ideal, coupled with IR so that you can hit a single button on a Logitech Harmony to switch modes.

Right now, there is no good solution. There are only solutions to make it suck slightly less.
Ah okay thanks. Makes total sense now. Yeah this is not a "fix" just a better workaround than manually bypassing the PSVR PU when not using VR.

Crayon

If you have a car that pops out of 5th gear, you can get a bungee cord thru the air vent and around the sticks gift to hold it in. 3 dollars and car good as new.

Andodalf

Banned
Are you fucking serious? What shit is this?

Not shit at all if you understand anything. The screen isn't HDR, so the image sent to it isn't HDR. The image on TV is a de warped version of the VR image, so it won't be HDR either.

That's their thinking, and they didn't consider the unit for solely passthrough purposes.

Not shit at all if you understand anything. The screen isn't HDR, so the image sent to it isn't HDR. The image on TV is a de warped version of the VR image, so it won't be HDR either.

That's their thinking, and they didn't consider the unit for solely passthrough purposes.

That's such a pain. I guess there's no other way to do it, but pretty inconvenient to have to deal with.

Nevyr

Banned
A coupler is a solution only in that it saves the PS4's HDMI port from excessive wear-and-tear.

A number of GAFfers, including myself, are able to get a 1x2 HDMI switch to work without issue.

Thanks for all the leg work, I ordered one as I'm getting my PS VR this week.

The problem though is you're still straining the ports on the Processor Unit. So pulling cables constantly isn't an ideal solution at all.

My bad, I remember seeing people trying switches in the other thread and getting degradation artifacts, but looking again it seems like it's an issue of a powered vs non powered switch.

Nah, I understand it and it's still shit. It's a case of poor planning, lack of forethought and the feels like the left hand not talking to the right hand with how everything should work together. Sony has all these things that just don't fit together well. It's a bad design period. People can call it shit and it would be reasonable. The very notion that this thing wasn't supposed to live as a pass through and you'd be constantly unplugging the cables in the back of your TV would be a dumb design from the beginning.

Peltz

They should offer replacement processor units. PS users are really not complaining enough about this issue.

If we caused a big enough stink, I bet they'd act on it. Sony planned this out very poorly.

CyberChulo

A splitter shouldn't even be considered a solution currently. HDMI specs will always default to the lowest common denominator. This may become a non-issue with the PS4 Pro, since it's safe to assume it supports HDMI 2.0a and HDCP 2.2. Hrrmmm... food for thought.

Yes, this is the worry that I have also. But let's see what happens. The way I have it setup up for the incoming pro, is that I'll be connecting the PS4 directly to the TV and using the TOS link for the receiver.

The problem though is you're still straining the ports on the Processor Unit. So pulling cables constantly isn't an ideal solution at all.
I'm envisioning the coupler existing between the PS4, the Processing Unit, and the HDTV. How much crack am I smoking envisioning this?

My bad, I remember seeing people trying switches in the other thread and getting degradation artifacts, but looking again it seems like it's an issue of a powered vs non powered switch.
Yeah, it's been an adventure, to say the least. Haha!

Nah, I understand it and it's still shit. It's a case of poor planning, lack of forethought and the feels like the left hand not talking to the right hand with how everything should work together. Sony has all these things that just don't fit together well. It's a bad design period. People can call it shit and it would be reasonable. The very notion that this thing wasn't supposed to live as a pass through and you'd be constantly unplugging the cables in the back of your TV would be a dumb design from the beginning.
Well said. I like to sum it up by saying "Sony done fucked up."

f@luS

More than a member.
Was just trying to give a simple method and quite convenient. Do as you please guys

Gitaroo

Interesting solution, why can't the pu just directly pass through the ps4 and hdmi out connection internally like a coupler.

CyberChulo

So I ordered these three things yesterday for free same day delivery (Thanks Amazon!)

Works with no problems. The 1.5ft cable is connected directly to the Ps4 (eventually the Pro) and then to the coupler. That way I have some space to comfortably swap hdmi cables between the PSVR cable and the one that connects directly to my 4k TV from my entertainment center. Thank goodness the Pro come with Digital Optical Out because I really didn't want to upgrade my receiver yet.

The HDMI splitter is set to come in tomorrow so I'll let you guys know how that turns out and all this mess will be a thing of the past. I still think Sony needs to come up with a solution though.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00CJHXY0U/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B01I2X74VY/?tag=neogaf0e-20

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00SI1J5SG/?tag=neogaf0e-20

Top Bottom