• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Steering wheel users GET IN HERE! You can now use *ANY* wheel U want on PS4 or PC!!!!

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
Gentlemen....it has arrived! The new version of GIMX I've *PERSONALLY* been waiting ages for!!!!!!!!!!

I would like to introduce you to the new version of GIMX!!

Here are GIMX's homepages:

http://gimx.fr/wiki/index.php?title=Main_Page

http://blog.gimx.fr/

GIMX just released a new version! This is a program that normally allows you to emulate a Logitech G27 wheel on a Playstation 3 or 4, but now there is a new version that allows you emulate them using ANY steering wheel or usb device, not just on PS4 but now the PC!

That's right...you can play Forza Horizon 3 using **ANY** steering wheel you want, and the game will think you're using a Logitech G27! Here's how it works....

Using two windows machines, one acting as one big controller "hub", you can connect all your devices to that machine and emulate a G27 using one PC as the "Target PC" and the other PC as the "Controller Hub", if you will. GIMX will now essentially turn ANY set of multiple of USB controllers into a "Virtual G27"!! In my specific case, I am using the following controllers:

Leo Bodnar wheel
HPP PRX Pedals
DSD RaceKing Button Box
Manu Factory Shifter
Fanatec CSS Shifter
Sony DualShock 4

GIMX turns all of these devices into one "Virtual G27" and every game that previously gave me trouble because it either doesn't recognize my Bodnar wheel properly or has issues with multiple controllers connected, is now working flawlessly!

What I love about GIMX is the fact that by using two PC's, it means that one acts as a controller hub..... which means your gaming PC only needs ONE USB connection, and sees the other PC(the one with all your USB devices) as *ONE* Logitech G27 wheel. No more messing around with games that don't work properly with multiple USB devices. Now I have, for all intents and purposes, a G27, that's customize-able to MY liking, and I can combine as many controllers as I want and map any button or axis to ANY function on the "Virtual G27" that I want. And in case you're wondering, yes it delivers *TRUE* force feedback effects with no...and I mean ZERO lag!!! All FFB effects work and are delivered to my Bodnar wheel with the same clarity and detail as the "raw" FFB signal directly to the Bodnar.

Matlo(GIMX author) has JUST decided to make this Virtual G27 firmware available to the public and posted it on his forum. If you want to use GIMX here is what you'll need:

1)An extra windows machine. Doesn't matter how weak or powerful the PC is. I picked up an old crappy HP Probook on ebay for $100 last week specifically for this purpose and it works perfectly! Just make sure it has USB 2.0 ports.

2)A GIMX adapter. You can build your own or order one from here: http://www.steve-marton.com/gimx/?product=diy-usb-adapter-for-gimx . And yes, I know it says ".....on PS4", but this new firmware is custom and designed specifically for windows.

3)The firmware: available in this GIMX forum thread.... https://forum.gimx.fr/viewtopic.php?f=5&t=1804 . Scroll down to the post with the date Fri Oct 28, 2016 12:22 am.

That's pretty much it guys. I know most people on here already own Logitech G25 or G27 wheels so this probably won't really interest you. GIMX is for people like me who fall into the following categories:

1)Owners of wheels and hardware that fall into the "niche" category such OSWs, Accuforce, Bodnars,
etc that want to play games that don't support them or have very poor support for these controllers(*cough*basicallyAllcodemastersgames*cough*cough*).

2)Those with Fanatec wheels, or other unsupported wheels wanting to play Forza Horizon 3 on PC,

3)Those with Fanatec wheels or want to use them on the PS4(yes this actually works, people!).

4)Those who uses multiple devices simultaneously, who play games that bitch about, well... multiple devices :) For us this application is a GODSEND because it combines all your devices into one, and you map anything you want to ANY button or axis on your G27!! No fuss, no muss!!

Give it a try guys. It's something I've been beta testing with Matlo for a while we feel it's now far along enough to make it available for the masses. This is something you will NOT see from the makers of ChronusMax(at least not any time soon).

Karak

I just use a gam3gear usbkey for 40 bucks. If this free one ever gets near it maybe i will check it out too.

Got excited, clicked on thread thinking there was some new console update or workaround so I could use my DFGT on PS4.
Nope.
Plug and play solution = $65

bombshell

I thought it was emulating G29?

I've been using GIMX on PS4 for a while with my DFGT wheel, a self made USB adapter after the noob guide and a Linux laptop and it's working flawlessly. It cost me around $20 for the adapter parts, much cheaper than buying a PS4 compatible wheel.

Wait. I didn't know I could use my G27 on PS4 before today.

Same. I thought G27 was not compatible with PS4 & I remember reading another thread about this problem and people waiting for Sony to release the drivers update for their system or something like that. Haven't touched my G27 in 6 months or so just because I'm lazy to manually change settings for each racing game I have.

Hoo-doo

Banned
You sound like a guy that should be selling kitchen appliances on a home shopping channel.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

wagamer

Oh I can't wait to play Driveclub with this beauty!

5140-42072-home.jpg

isamu

OMFG HOLY MOTHER OF MARY IN HEAVEN I CANT BELIEVE IT WTF WHERE ARE MY SEDATIVES AAAAHHH
I thought it was emulating G29?

You are correct, it emulates a G29 on the PS4...sorry for the misclarification. The new version however, emulates G29, G27, Driving force, and a couple other Logitech wheels on the PC!

Plus this new version allows you to use any FFB wheel on PS4, which means ALL Fanatec and Thrustmaster wheels as well as Accuforce, etc wheels.

You sound like a guy that should be selling kitchen appliances on a home shopping channel.

BUT WAIT, THERE'S MORE!

Haha I get this all the time. It's just how I write whenever I talk about something I'm excited about. I have absolutely no affiliation with GIMX other than being a beta tester for the latest version. This solution is a Godsend for me. I can't tell you how many PC racing games have given me trouble because I had multiple devices connected, and they only see the first device in the controller list. It's been a thorn in my side for AGES!

isamu

Been doing testing all week with lots of different PC games, as well as RR7, Daytona USA, and GT6 on the PS3. Haven't had any problems so far. Just make sure not to use cables that are longer than 3 ft and you should be fine. The FFB in GT6 is pretty decent.

Dash Kappei

Not actually that important
Yep, GIMX is a godsend

Got excited, clicked on thread thinking there was some new console update or workaround so I could use my DFGT on PS4.
Nope.
Plug and play solution = $65

Which is exactly what this is. $65? Built my own in 5 minutes (no soldering) for $13.

isamu

Even my old PS2-era DFP? LOL That'd be pretty cool. :)

Edit: Oh, I need a second PC. Hmm...

It depends on what you wanna do. If you only intend on using it on PS3 or PS4 then you only one pc which can be the one you typed that post with :)

joeblow

I have a DFGT and want to be all set on my PS4Pro when GT Sport touches down. I'm looking over this option, but does my PS4 need to be near my PC for it to connect? That's the issue that I would be dealing with since my setups aren't close to one another.

If a nearby computer is a requirement, does anyone have the Reasnow Crosshair unit for a DFGT wheel and the PS4? This review of it seems encouraging, and while it is more expensive than the GIMX solution, it is still a lot cheaper option for me if I don't have to replace my DFGT and wheel stand.

spwolf

I have a DFGT and want to be all set on my PS4Pro when GT Sport touches down. I'm looking over this option, but does my PS4 need to be near my PC for it to connect? That's the issue that I would be dealing with since my setups aren't close to one another.

If a nearby computer is a requirement, does anyone have the Reasnow Crosshair unit for a DFGT wheel and the PS4? This review of it seems encouraging, and while it is more expensive than the GIMX solution, it is still a lot cheaper option for me if I don't have to replace my DFGT and wheel stand.

how close is close? You need to have laptop or any kind of pc with the emulating software, that outputs to the PS4.

joeblow

There's no way for my computer and PS4 to physically connect. They are at least 40 feet away from one another. Ah well, I'll keep looking into this other option and decide when GT:S releases.

isamu

There's no way for my computer and PS4 to physically connect. They are at least 40 feet away from one another. Ah well, I'll keep looking into this other option and decide when GT:S releases.

Just get a RaspberryPi, which from what I understand is absurdly tiny and cheap. Boomslang just picked up a couple and that's what he plans on using.

I'm pretty excited.

I got the digital Dirt Rally VR bundle for PS4 the other day. I've had a G27 with a Wheel Stand Pro for over 6 years, and I barely used it that whole time. I got a PSVR back in November, but the games are all short, expensive "experiences," with exactly two exceptions: RE7, and now Dirt Rally.

I also have a Titan One converter, so over the weekend, I set it all up. Plugged the converter into the PS4, a controller into the converter, the G27 into my PC (which is, luckily, right next to my TV), and my PC into the converter. Went and set up all the buttons, wheel axes (set to 200 degrees rotation on the PC), and pedal axes to map to gamepad buttons and axes. Save for a weird issue where it would only read the pedal input once I pushed past halfway, it worked kind of okay.

I ordered a DIY kit last week, and it showed up early today. I can't wait to get home, set it up, and try it out properly. Hopefully the force feedback works well. The next problem to solve will be the handbrake, as mapping it to a steering wheel button doesn't really work at all, and I'd like to use the clutch pedal as a clutch pedal. I'll probably end up doing some DIY nonsense for that, too, anyway.

isamu

I'm pretty excited.

I got the digital Dirt Rally VR bundle for PS4 the other day. I've had a G27 with a Wheel Stand Pro for over 6 years, and I barely used it that whole time. I got a PSVR back in November, but the games are all short, expensive "experiences," with exactly two exceptions: RE7, and now Dirt Rally.

I also have a Titan One converter, so over the weekend, I set it all up. Plugged the converter into the PS4, a controller into the converter, the G27 into my PC (which is, luckily, right next to my TV), and my PC into the converter. Went and set up all the buttons, wheel axes (set to 200 degrees rotation on the PC), and pedal axes to map to gamepad buttons and axes. Save for a weird issue where it would only read the pedal input once I pushed past halfway, it worked kind of okay.

I ordered a DIY kit last week, and it showed up early today. I can't wait to get home, set it up, and try it out properly. Hopefully the force feedback works well. The next problem to solve will be the handbrake, as mapping it to a steering wheel button doesn't really work at all, and I'd like to use the clutch pedal as a clutch pedal. I'll probably end up doing some DIY nonsense for that, too, anyway.

Cool, let us know how it goes. The difference between the Titan One and GIMX is the TO doesn't provide true force feedback while GIMX does. Also, You should be able to set the handbrake to whatever you want without any problems. GIMX is very flexible.

Mascot

I'm pretty excited.

I've been using a CronusMax Plus between my Fanatec wheel and PS4 and it's totally legit. Full FFB, no discernible lag.

"Using 2 PC's...."

Er....what?

I dunno what you're talking about. All you need is a Raspberry Pi and one of the DIY USB adapters available. I recommend Steve Marton's products, as that's what I'm using. Simply plug everything in, and it Just Works™.

Cool, let us know how it goes. The difference between the Titan One and GIMX is the TO doesn't provide true force feedback while GIMX does. Also, You should be able to set the handbrake to whatever you want without any problems. GIMX is very flexible.

The difference between the two is, with a Titan One, you're mapping stuff to a gamepad, so you lose a ton of fidelity vs reading 900 degrees of input from the wheel, 200+ from each pedal, and so on. Also, there's no force feedback at all.

With GIMX, you effectively are using a G29 with a slightly less ideal wheel button placement, including full customization in-game and full force feedback.

And god damn is it great. DiRT Rally + VR DLC + PSVR + any wheel is, IMO, the pinnacle of console VR right now. I have to use a qualifier because I don't know what today's Vive games are like, but I do know that I've gone from being somewhat, sort of interested in sim racing to looking forward to hundreds more hours of this stuff.

The game alone is simply outstanding. Tons of cars and stages, ways to customize all of them, plus the career mode... man. It's almost too much. And it's heartening to go on Reddit and see people talking about how they've already put hundreds of hours in (even without VR sweetening the deal).

Bravo, Codemasters.

isamu

I dunno what you're talking about. All you need is a Raspberry Pi and one of the DIY USB adapters available. I recommend Steve Marton's products, as that's what I'm using. Simply plug everything in, and it Just Works™.

The difference between the two is, with a Titan One, you're mapping stuff to a gamepad, so you lose a ton of fidelity vs reading 900 degrees of input from the wheel, 200+ from each pedal, and so on. Also, there's no force feedback at all.

With GIMX, you effectively are using a G29 with a slightly less ideal wheel button placement, including full customization in-game and full force feedback.

And god damn is it great. DiRT Rally + VR DLC + PSVR + any wheel is, IMO, the pinnacle of console VR right now. I have to use a qualifier because I don't know what today's Vive games are like, but I do know that I've gone from being somewhat, sort of interested in sim racing to looking forward to hundreds more hours of this stuff.

The game alone is simply outstanding. Tons of cars and stages, ways to customize all of them, plus the career mode... man. It's almost too much. And it's heartening to go on Reddit and see people talking about how they've already put hundreds of hours in (even without VR sweetening the deal).

Bravo, Codemasters.

I agree 100% brother. My personal wet dream in all this, is being able to play much older PS3 games like Ridge Racer 7 and Gran Tursimo 5 with my Leo Bodnar FFb wheel and HPP Pedals. RR7 in particular is game I've been waiting *AGES* to play with a proper wheel and pedal set. Hell, the fact that the game doesn't even support any wheels other than the Driving Force EX makes the deal that much sweeter!

belvedere

Junior Butler
Sorry for the bump. Is this a viable solution for the DFGT on PS4? I'd love to try this if the input is accurate and there's no glaring issues.

isamu

Sorry for the bump. Is this a viable solution for the DFGT on PS4? I'd love to try this if the input is accurate and there's no glaring issues.

Yes it will work without question.

isamu

Steve Martom isn't selling the adapter anymore, any alternatives?

Sucks for people local especially on the west coast because I got mine from Steve in like a couple days lol. But yeah, Matlo is making and selling them himself now so your best bet is going straight to the source :)

Top Bottom