• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Infamous Second Son & First Light pro details

Loudninja

Update:
+ Jason Connell on November 4th, 2016 at 1:19 pm said:

As a note that I forgot to mention in the blog post above – we did include a performance option. You can choose either “Better Frame Rate” or “Higher Resolution” with the default being the higher resolution option.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/04/infamous-second-son-first-light-showcase-power-of-ps4-pro/

First up is HDR. When we re-worked our engine to create Infamous Second Son for the PS4, we had a strict focus on realistic lighting and exposure. We wanted the art direction and tech to reflect realism in a way that immerses players in the damp, rainy streets of Seattle. We did a lot of work to ensure our sky, sun, and light sources felt like the real thing. So why is HDR such a big deal now? This patch, along with an HDR capable TV, pushes those crazy bright values even further.
The second reason is in the smaller details. In both games, the Seattle city streets are filled with incredible art from our hard working art team. Signs, coffee cups, puddles, fall leaves — this world is filled with little touches waiting to be noticed. With PS4 Pro’s increased resolution, those touches are even more crisp. You can see detail on bricks and signs that previously went unnoticed. When we created the Seattle landscape, we had a goal to make everything wet. That means reflections of those details on every surface. It also meant a fair amount of specular aliasing. The increased resolution improves this and many other alias issues. And if you don’t have a 4K TV, you’ll still see a smoother image as the PS4 Pro will scale down to match your 1080p display.
The third — and best — reason to revisit the Infamous games on PS4 Pro is simple: the powers look amazing. Delsin’s smoke powers and Fetch’s neon powers are particularly impressive. Watching the original effects now in 4K and HDR, I notice details I didn’t even know existed. For example, when Fetch does a ground pound, waves of brilliantly flickering particles erupt in all directions. We even improved photo-mode to let you pause on powers. My favorite is winding up Fetch’s ultimate neon bomb and then quickly activating photo-mode to pause and observe the thousands of emissive particles bits forming around her.
http://blog.us.playstation.com/2016/11/04/infamous-second-son-first-light-showcase-power-of-ps4-pro/

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
I'm pretty sure Infamous is one of the games using high resolution gemometeric scaling

Kyoufu

I've been playing Second Son in HDR for a couple of days now and yeah, it looks amazing. The powers especially look incredible. Now that's just at 1080p. Looking forward to playing it in higher resolution.

Ibuki

Banned
I've been playing Second Son in HDR for a couple of days now and yeah, it looks amazing. The powers especially look incredible. Now that's just at 1080p. Looking forward to playing it in higher resolution.

I have only tried out First Light so far with HDR, but they were so right about the powers. They look incredible!

Tagyhag

Awesome, "Better framerate" options across games was my #1 dream when news on the Pro was coming out.

That dream is dead but at least there's games like Infamous who will take advantage of it. I hope it's locked!

Awesome, "Better framerate" options across games was my #1 dream when news on the Pro was coming out.

That dream is dead but at least there's games like Infamous who will take advantage of it. I hope it's locked!

Well Infamous (and other games) have an unlocked framerate option, so it might run smoother than the standard PS4, thanks to the Pro's faster CPU and extra GPU power, probably won't be locked 60fps but games still might have slightly better framerates.

Tagyhag

Well Infamous (and other games) have an unlocked framerate option, so it might run smoother than the standard PS4, thanks to the Pro's faster CPU and extra GPU power, probably won't be locked 60fps but games still might have slightly better framerates.

Yeah but even if it's like 50-60 I'll be happy.

Also, even if the games are unlocked it doesn't mean they'll get a boost unless there's a patch. It's not like the Xbox S.

DieH@rd

Banned
I'm glad that more developers are including both 4K and high framerate modes. The hardware is there, if there is enough headroom many would prefer to have access to 60fps.

Yeah but even if it's like 50-60 I'll be happy.

Also, even if the games are unlocked it doesn't mean they'll get a boost unless there's a patch. It's not like the Xbox S.

Oh yeah I know they have to be patched but patched games might work more like the XB1 S. Also, apart from some older games, most games going forward will have a Pro patch anyway, so it shouldn't be a big issue after launch.

I know its different with each game but games like Infamous ran around 40fps when unlocked, I think First Light was optimised to run a tiny bit better too, so maybe getting closer to 50fps is possible with the Pro, also when capped to 30fps, it shouldn't have any dips at all.

As a note that I forgot to mention in the blog post above – we did include a performance option. You can choose either “Better Frame Rate” or “Higher Resolution” with the default being the higher resolution option.

Good stuff. Interesting to see how high the framerate can go with the Pro? I capped it to 30fps on the PS4, because it was barely over 35fps. Same for Killzone: Shadow Fall.

That's great. Sure hope "Performance v Quality" becomes commonplace - for those aren't completely CPU bound of course. I don't think anyone wants 20 + graphical settings like in PC games of course, but that simple toggle, along with the option for 30fps locks would be very nice middleground.

I think that's 6 titles now that will have these options on the Pro (a couple already have them on the PS4) - Tomb Raider, Killing Floor, Last of Us, Nioh, now Second Son & First Light. Good stuff.

I'm predicting MOST of the launch Pro games won't look much better. It's gonna take until games developed with Pro side by side for there to be a big difference.

I want more games to include performance options.

Framerate >>>>>> Eye candy
Cosigned.

Supersampling is nice, but the thought of a more powerful box still playing games at 30 fps turns me off. All of these games should try to have a 1080p 60fps option.

I noticed in PS Meeting videos that Infamous Last Light packs more and denser particle effects on PS4 PRO. Are those by default in any mode on PS4 PRO or just for a certain mode? What are the other improved or added graphical effects? Will Infamous Second Son benefit from it too?

OMG YES! This is going to be amazing! I wonder what frame-rate it will average around?

Slaythe

So basically you can fuck off if you have a 1080p screen lol.

At least it makes it easy to pick better frame rate mode as you get close to nothing in candy mode.

LifEndz

Best part is many of these older games getting a pro patch are fairly cheap, so if you missed out on them before you have a great reason to go back.

Still waiting on a Bloodborne patch to really get Gaf crazy.

This was part of the ps4 bundle i bought and I quit the game early on. Still got it round so might use it a quick tech demo at the minimum.

Still waiting for an actual pre pro game that I like to get a patch. The two big ones were witcher 3 confirmed no support and bloodborne which is probably a no as well.

This was part of the ps4 bundle i bought and I quit the game early on. Still got it round so might use it a quick tech demo at the minimum.

Still waiting for an actual pre pro game that I like to get a patch. The two big ones were witcher 3 confirmed no support and bloodborne which is probably a no as well.

I tried it again and it hooked me back in lol. Damn beautiful game too.

Top Bottom