• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Diablo 3 getting Necromancer (paid), remaking Diablo 1 in D3, new zones (free)

Corpekata

Banned
Overview of the character

A: The Necromancer will be the next fully-playable class introduced to Diablo III: Reaper of Souls. As a master of the dark arts, you draw your magic from the power of death itself, and command mighty armies of risen warriors! Oh, and you can make corpses explode. There are definitely exploding corpses.

Q: Who will be able to play the Necromancer?

A: We’re still settling on final details, but the Necromancer will be available as part of the Rise of the Necromancer pack, set to release in 2017. Players will need both Diablo III and Reaper of Souls to access this content (or, in the case of console, the Ultimate Evil Edition on PlayStation 4 or Xbox One).
Q: When will the Necromancer be available for purchase/in-game?

A: Sometime in 2017—we’ll provide more details as we near release!

Q: How much will the pack cost?

A: We’re not ready to announce a price just yet. Stay tuned!

Some details on the "remake"

The developer announced during BlizzCon in Anaheim today that a future update will bring some nostalgic additions. This year marks the franchise’s 20th anniversary. To celebrate, an update called The Darkening of Tristram will recreate the original game inside Diablo III. It will even include graphical filters that make the game look pixelated older. The anniversary patch will be available to play on test servers next week.

While these have been discussed in the Blizzcon thread, though it was worth a new thread for those that weren't following it.

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rt1bLufR-VA

Lock if someone made a thread and I just didn't see it.

To clarify: The remake is free (and likely out soon) while the Necromancer will cost money and will be out in 2017

Note: This is what the "remake" is :

Celebrate 20 years of Diablo by traveling back into the depths of the Cathedral where it all began in this upcoming Diablo III: Reaper of Souls content update. Get ready to explore a monster-filled dungeon 16 levels deep, and come face to face with the four main bosses from the original game—all with retro touches like special graphics filters and eight-direction character movement.

Recall

Is this a paid expansion or a free update? I have no problem with either path especially if a unique take on Diablo 1 is essentially included.

I guess if it's a paid expansion we would get new trophies too?

Fou-Lu

Would have rather had an all new Diablo 1 or 2 remake, and even more I would have liked to see Diablo 4. I probably will never play the Necromancer in Diablo 3, but I will give this Diablo 1 in D3's engine a shot. Overall, disappointed.

Sealtest

I'm sad that it's paid DLC but i'll be buying the Necromancer seeing as it was my most played D2 hero.

Kinda shocked we didn't even get a hint at a new Expansion and that we're just getting the 2 maps and Necromancer.

I just want a new book :( I need more Diablo lore.

Wallach

The only paid part is the Necromancer, and whatever else comes with that (which was not announced).

Everything else is a part of the next RoS patch. I'm actually kind of interested to see how they are remaking the original game within D3.

Kukawaki

As a fan of D1 and not much D3 or even 2... this is the worst thing they could do.

Dear Blizzard, why can't I buy D1 digitally?

-SG

While I never ended up playing Diablo 3, seeing the Necro brings back a lot of memories from my Diablo 2 days.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
Are we talking Diablo 1 with Diablo 3's art style because that is going to be one hell of a mis matched eye sore.

Gator86

I wish it was a remake of D2 in D3 just to twist the knife in D2 fanboys even more. Excited for a new D3 class though. Firing the game up as soon as this is out.

Raticus79

Seek victory, not fairness
A bit disappointing, but I'm still looking forward to it. Wonder how much that character pack will be?

Curious to see what those retro effects look like too. Hopefully some videos show up after their anniversary stream tonight.

Drayco21

An actual remaster of Diablo 1 could've been cool; this sounds like a short, fancier rift that won't really capture the experience of playing the first game.

Necromancer would be cool, but there's barely any new content coming, so it's just replaying the already thoroughly replayed content as a new class- I guess I can still get behind it if the price is right.

Was hoping for more.

Kite

I never played D1 so I'm interested, plus a new class that kinda sounds like the witch doctor..? Well, at least my character will no longer be a hunchback.

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Everything is free but the Necromancer. It's similar to StarCraft II's co-op commanders or Heroes of the Storm's characters.

FLD

This sounds pretty cool to me. I only got into the series shortly before D3's initial release and the original wouldn't run on my PC, so I skipped straight to D2. I'll definitely give this remake a playthrough.

Just a new class isn't as compelling as a new expansion but I haven't touched D3 in a while, so I might bite anyway.

Ikuu

Had his dog run over by Blizzard's CEO
Necro gonna be like $20 minimum.

Also not sure how it's going to be all that different from WD.

Velcro Fly

no D4, no D2 remastered, D1 is basically a glorified rift, and a new class as part of a pack to play like 90% the same content.

Feels like they couldn't decide what to do so tried to cover all their bases and made no one happy.

marrec

Banned
An actual remaster of Diablo 1 could've been cool; this sounds like a short, fancier rift that won't really capture the experience of playing the first game.

Necromancer would be cool, but there's barely any new content coming, so it's just replaying the already thoroughly replayed content as a new class- I guess I can still get behind it if the price is right.

Was hoping for more.

I mean, Diablo one is basically a rift with multiple bosses.

I couldn't be less excited about this announcement. Diablo 1 was great for it's time but why would I want to play it now?

At least I get to play it with the improved mechanics of D3 right?

A new class isn't enough to reinvigorate a game people have sunk countless hours into already. You're still doing the same end-game activities, still utilizing the same systems, and still battling mostly the same enemies.

Calcium

Banned
Using the word remake or saying they are recreating the original game is really confusing people. It's not the entire first game recreated in Diablo 3. It's a Diablo 1 themed rift. 16 floors, 4 bosses. That is not a remake or remaster. People are really getting the wrong idea here.

Top Bottom