• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro Black Screen Fix (w/ Audio Dropping)

Lucifon

So this issue needs more awareness as it's currently getting buried in the PS4 Pro OT. It's a pretty huge issue considering this "4k" console has a serious bug with multiple major 4k tvs making it basically unusable unless you do the fix below. I had this when booting for the first time with my B6 OLED LG TV. Black screen on boot, with audio that keeps breaking up every few seconds.

Current solution is to turn off your console. Then hold the power button until it beeps twice and goes into safe mode.
Change the resolution to 1080p. (I believe you may be able to disable hdcp/choose hdcp 1.4 at this stage also which should fix it)
Then the console will boot.
If you disable HDCP (or apparently choose hdcp 1.4) you'll then be able to select 4k without it being a black screen.
Only problem is I believe by disabling hdcp we can't use 4K Netflix etc. Credit for the fix goes to someone over at /r/PS4Pro.

Edit - Vizio users try this:
Finally got it to work. Here's what I did, and it was...weird. Hopefully I can help someone with this, pretty sure this is close to exactly what I did

Set to 1080P while plugged HDMI into port that worked (30hz 4k port that only accepted 1080p signal)

While in 1080 I turned off HDR, HDCP, and Deep color

Booted to safe mode with PS4 plugged into same port
Set HDCP to automatic (was originally 1.4)
PS4 restarted
Plugged into 4k 60hz game slot
Blank screen
Restarted into safe mode again
Went to set resolution
PS4 restarted
PS4 checked system storage and rebooted
Blank screen
Went to change resolution
PS4 did not check system storage and let me choose resolution
Chose 2160p yuv420
Worked fine.

Sometimes I really love technology....

Biggest takeaway is to just keep retrying it with settings that might get it to work for ya. Again my tv was a VIZO M-50 C1

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
So this issue needs more awareness as it's currently getting buried in the PS4 Pro OT. It's a pretty huge issue considering this "4k" console has a serious bug with multiple major 4k tvs making it basically unusable unless you do the fix below. I had this when booting for the first time with my B6 OLED LG TV. Black screen on boot, with audio that keeps breaking up every few seconds.

Current solution is to turn off your console. Then hold the power button until it boots into safe mode. Change the resolution to 1080p. Then the console will boot. If you disable HDCP you'll then be able to select 4k without it being a black screen. Only problem is I believe by disabling hdcp we can't use Netflix etc. Credit for the fix goes to someone over at /r/PS4Pro.

Yep. Spent hours trying to fix this. Unfortunately, it seems prevalent in LG 4K TVs. I have a LG UH7700. I 'fixed" it by booting to safe mode, and changing HDCP from "Automatic" to "1.4"

If anyone cares, I even made a Reddit thread where I asked for help. Some are experiencing it, too. :( https://www.reddit.com/r/PS4/comments/5c7bgg/my_ps4_pro_doesnt_recognize_my_4k_tv_as_a_4k_tv/

This is what I see now in my PS4 Pro Video Output Information screen:

PS4ProVideo.jpg

For those who know more about technical stuff than I do, does this mean it's fixed? Or is there a need for HDCP 2.2?

DBT85

Should probably get everyone to list the model number of the TV they have too.

Wondering if its just a few models that aren't reporting to the PS4 what they can do properly.

I have and LG 65UH8500 and didn't have this problem, because I made sure my PS4 pro was ready to go, by making sure I registered it to the input and then I turned on deep color and I don't have any problems.

Lucifon

How widespread is this issue?
Seems to be mainly LG and Vizio tvs right now. The workaround is fairly simple and quick to do, but if you're an average consumer you might think your brand new machine is broken when firing it up for the first time.

getbuff

Neo Member
Should probably get everyone to list the model number of the TV they have too.

Wondering if its just a few models that aren't reporting to the PS4 what they can do properly.

I've been on reddit with the same problem. Rocking a 2016 Vizio D40u-D1 and the HDCP fix is not working.

iMax

I don't know if this is what you're talking about but I came across a weird issue earlier that required a reboot.

I switched HDR on and off too many times in Uncharted 4 (I was taking comparison shots) and the console freaked out and got in an HDR on/off loop which I couldn't get out of.

DBT85

Lucifon - B6 OLED LG TV
excaliburps - LG UH7700
getbuff - Vizio D40u-D1
Maxinuxit - LG OLED 65B6V
Copy and add your details if you're having the problem.

getbuff

Neo Member
Good thread guys. I DM's @AskPlaystation about the issue. Once enough people encounter it, it'll probably go up the chain.

How do you register your PS4 pro?

Select inputs

go to all inputs

select Edit Universal Control

follow the prompts

Once you're done

select settings

select general

scroll down to HDMI ULTRA HD Deep Color

make sure you are on the right HDMI selection

Then turn on DEEP COLOR

The TV will restart with the HDR settings set for that input.

MildSoss

Any solutions for Vizio owners? I'm completely stumped. My 4k@60hz HDMI stopped working after the update but my regular HDMI slots work just fine but don't output more then 1080p.

I've tried the solution Kenzodielocke did but still I get nothing.

LG 65C6P OLED, didn't have this issue when I booted up the Pro. It's possible it affects the B series and not the C series, since they use different internal hardware.

One difference is that I swapped the HDD immediately before powering up the console which required a firmware install which I performed using the latest download on the Playstation site. Having 4.05 from the beginning could also have been a factor.

OLED65B6P - I had this issue.. but not until I started a game. I used Ratchet and Clank, it triggered HDR mode and before any logos came up, it blanked out my screen and I could only hear audio and see a little visual noise.

I set it to HDCP 1.4 and was able to set 4k - RGB without a problem.

I powered off the unit and moved it to the intended location and connected it up through my AVR. It had reverted back to automatic and hdcp 2.2.. but it works fine through the AVR. (Pioneer VSX-1130-K)

Clutchman

Neo Member
No issues here on my Samsung KS8500. I gamed for about five hours today and everything was golden. Hope it gets sorted out quickly for those having trouble.

PrinceKee

Just hooked up my PS4 Pro. I realized I only have one 4K 60hz pro on my non HDR tv, but thr PS4 was displaying in 4K after the initial setup. But, then when I went to restore from a backup my system said I needed to update to 4.05. So the system did and restarted and now it won't display on my only 4K 60 port and if I put it in one of the other 4K 30hz ports it only displays in 1080p. What happened?

Well, that update messed up my one 4K 60hz port like others have said. This sucks...

The port work with my VR in 4K. But, for those of you with HDR you won't get it out of thr ps VR box...

Pac3y

Posted this in the main pro thread;

Run into a little issue with cabling, my rated '2160p' cable running from the AVR to the TV cannot output 2160p RGB, black screen (Intermittent audio). It outputs YUV420 fine however.

Go direct with the provided HDMI and RGB setting works absolutely fine. Maybe a 5 metre cable run is too much? Seems odd, ordered a smaller length 2.0a cable see how it fairs.

I have an LG TV also LG55UH661V - AVR is Denon AVR-X2200 - So my issue is a little different, however note the cable length may be a factor, and are people direct to the PS4?

That's weird, I've got an LG 65E6P and it's working fine on mine.
I've got all the relevant high end settings on and have been playing Uncharted 4, Dishonored 2 and Infinite Warfare all day...

bunbun777

I came in here really quick because I was getting a hdr not supported on your tv message with my samsung js8500....

And then I realized you can't have hdr pass through psvr. So I switched it and it works.

Sorry if a bit ot but yea forgot about that and makes me kinda sad.

I absolutely had to do this fix, and it freaked me out when it happened. It just showed a black screen after i installed firmware 4.05.

excaliburps

Press - MP1st.com
reset your tv to the initial settings, then register your ps4 pro to the input and then turn on deep color.

For me, the HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color bit didn't work. I turned it on, and the only change was I could select 2160p RGB. Doing so still meant I saw a black screen.

I kinda freaked when I first connected my Pro to my 4K TV. After trying multiple times, connected it to my other LG TV (1080) and it worked fine.

Hope this thread helps those unfortunate people out.

How widespread is this issue?

Lucifon - B6 OLED LG TV
excaliburps - LG UH7700
getbuff - Vizio D40u-D1
Maxinuxit - LG OLED 65B6V
Copy and add your details if you're having the problem.

Had the same issue.

LG 55B6.

Drove me nuts for a while thinking it was HDMI cables and ports until I googled it.

for the people with this issue: are your sets HDCP 2.2 compliant?

For the LG B6 Every port is 2.2 Compliant.

http://www.lg.com/us/tvs/lg-OLED65B6P-oled-4k-tv

Finally got it to work. Here's what I did, and it was...weird. Hopefully I can help someone with this, pretty sure this is close to exactly what I did

Set to 1080P while plugged HDMI into port that worked (30hz 4k port that only accepted 1080p signal)

PS4 restarted
Blank screen
Went to set resolution
PS4 restarted
Blank screen
Chose 2160p yuv420
Worked fine.

Biggest takeaway is to just keep retrying it with settings that might get it to work for ya. Again my tv was a VIZO M-50 C1

cosine

Neo Member
Was getting black screen. Used safety mode to set to 1080 which worked. Tried turning off hdcp still couldn't get 4k (would go black). Played with my setup. Ps4 pro -) PS VR -) onkyo receiver -) sharp 4k. Removed PS VR. And 4k started working.

I thought ps vr was supposed to work with 4k signal just not hdr which I don't have anyways. Frustrating.

TheKevn

I keep getting the black screen flash after going into safe mode twice once for resolution change to 1080p and once to change hdcp to 1.4. Am I missing something?

For me, the HDMI Ultra HD Deep Color bit didn't work. I turned it on, and the only change was I could select 2160p RGB. Doing so still meant I saw a black screen.

I kinda freaked when I first connected my Pro to my 4K TV. After trying multiple times, connected it to my other LG TV (1080) and it worked fine.

Hope this thread helps those unfortunate people out.

You have to reset set your tv to the initial settings before doing deep color selection.

LogN

Vizio users, I had he same problem and there is a fix. Your Tv does not support 4K RGB only YUV, the system auto does RGB. You need to restart into safe mode and change resolution to 2160p YUV.

PrinceKee

Vizio users, I had he same problem and there is a fix. Your Tv does not support 4K RGB only YUV, the system auto does RGB. You need to restart into safe mode and change resolution to 2160p YUV.

Can you choose that resolution in safe mode and did you disable HDCP? Before the 4.05 system update it selected YUV automatically. I have the Vizio D50u-D1. Hopefully this works when I try tomorrow because nothing work and I have to use my PS VR to get 4K...

color111

Neo Member

PS4 restarted
Blank screen
Went to set resolution
PS4 restarted
Blank screen
Chose 2160p yuv420
Worked fine.

It finally worked for me!!!! I thought there was no hope for us Vizio users. It seemed like a much easier fix for LG users. When I got to the step of changing the resolution, I was only getting a black screen still after choosing "change resolution." I kept holding down the power button to turn completely off, then resetting into safe mode until the screen to actually choose a resolution finally appeared. I chose 2160p yuv420 and it actually worked. I could cry right now! Vizio users, keep doing this until it works!

I have a 2015 Vizio M43-C1.

Sony really needs to say something/ fix this soon. I would imagine that LG and Vizio owners account for a good majority of people with 4k sets. I wonder how many people have returned their Pro because they thought it was defective.

TheKevn

I ended up fixing mine. I had to start it in safe mode 3 times though. Once for setting hdcp to 1.4. Once for setting resolution to 1080p. Then for setting resolution to 2160 RGB(which wasn't available before on a KS8000). Played about an hour and a half with no issue. Hope this helps someone.

Lucifon

PS4 restarted
Blank screen
Went to set resolution
PS4 restarted
Blank screen
Chose 2160p yuv420
Worked fine.

Can any other Vizio users confirm this works? If it does I'll add it to the OP!

black070

Had the problem when I plugged in my Pro on arrival yesterday and thought the issue was in the resolution, my heart sank initially thinking my TV may not really be 4K (idiotic I know, considering I'd been streaming 4K content for months prior :p).

I finally stumbled upon the Reddit thread detailing the fix and have had no problems since. I think it prevents you from using Netflix, and possibly Amazon and YouTube, but it's a nonissue as I use the TV's native apps anyways to save power.

Note - LG is aware of the issue and working with Sony to resolve it via an update.

color111

Neo Member
Can any other Vizio users confirm this works? If it does I'll add it to the OP!

I can confirm. I responded above explaining my situation and you may want to add the bit about not giving up on resetting on the resolution step until it isn't a black screen, as it didn't work for me until after a couple of resets.

Chao

LG OLED C6 here,

Had the same problem when I first turned the PS4 pro on, black screen - well, as a matter of fact it was a white screen the first time - and no audio. Turned the thing back off , unplugged hdmi cables and switched on again, it worked again for some reason.

Left the console in rest mode and went for lunch, came back, switched it on and black screen this time with some audio, same procedure as before.

Again, left it in rest mode and came back around 6pm and guess what, black screen again.

And another issue I've noticed when switching HDR on and off in my games to see the differences, many times I've encountered a bug in which the TV gets confused on what signal the PS4 is sending, and will keep the TV's HDR mode on while the game has the HDR option switched off, so it will result in a super weird posterized and saturated image

If you have the chance to try or if this did also happen to you please let us know!

Top Bottom