• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro - Some games experiencing visual bugs (list of affect titles inside)

So it seems as more people are getting their hands on the Pro, there's a few titles that are clearly bugged or not working as intended.

Keep in mind that these *may* be isolated to certain people and not universal, but indicators are that at least some of them are affecting multiple systems. If anyone comes across something i've missed, please send me a direct message or post in the thread and I'll add it to the OP. Hopefully everything in here is quickly patched or resolved.

Affected Games

World of Final Fantasy

Issue:

Grainy/pixelated graphics, low res?

Standard PS4:

ZjgOrqm.jpg

PS4 Pro:

Source (see post for all screenshots):

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224002341&postcount=2320

For a little more visibility - World of Final Fantasy is messed up at 1080p on Pro -

Yep - this looks like dogshit on Pro at the moment. My first pro disappointment. I spotted it straight away. Loads of aliasing and the depth of field and blur in some scenes is way off.

I fired it up on my old system to check and yep - it was fine there on the same 1080p TV. Maybe it looks okay on a 4K screen?

Anyway I came with screenshots from both systems -

Standard PS4 with 1.01 patch -

PS4 Pro with 1.01 patch - Screenshots set to 1080p to match standard - I have 4K screenies too - they look like crap too!

The aliasing at high contrast edges looks real bad and Tama is almost blurred out of existence. Please fix for the love of god Square Enix.

The Last of Us Remastered

Issue:

Missing textures and/or lighting/shadow effects?

Source:

https://twitter.com/shinobi602/status/796846688262561793

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224003244&postcount=2338
http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224004645&postcount=2364

SOLUTION!

I found the reason for the bug that caused the glitched water textures in TLOU (at least for me).

Requirement for the bug to happen:
Loading the level in 60 FPS mode and switching straight to 30 FPS as soon as you are ingame.

Workaround: If you activate the 30 FPS before you are loading the level everything will be fine. You are also able to switch between 30 FPS and 60 FPS after that while ingame.

Hitman

Issue: Softer/lower res image?
Edit: Hitman on PS4Pro appears to have better IQ overall in terms of fidelity/textures, but slightly softer perhaps due to a different AA technique used. May not be a bug.

PS4 Standard:

PS4 Pro:

Source:

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=224004225&postcount=2357

I played through a couple of levels of Hitman and that softness I believe might be the form of AA they use or maybe some post processing. I can't be sure as I didn't play for more then 5 minutes but it's a softer but overall cleaner image.

godhandiscen

There are millions of whiny 5-year olds on Earth, and I AM THEIR KING.
This is pretty much the kind of issues PC developers deal with often when developing the same game for multiple configurations of the same hardware.

Hopefully, the APIs on both consoles adopting this mode, Pro and Scorpio, are streamlined enough so that these don't occur often.

dugdug

Banned
Did WoFF and Hitman both have Pro specific patches? I'd be pretty pissed if I had a PS4 Pro and saw this.

Vol5

To be fair to the hitman shots, it's zoomed in something crazy. Definitely a problem with FF. That game could look great if the downscale was applied correctly.

Hitman looks amazing on my screen. That shot is a bad comparison. Its weridly zoomed in.

In some cases the DoF effect seems stronger on the pro though. Like after pulling out a gun. I didnt notice DoF much on OG ps4 but I notice it now.

Here's Hitman on Pro at 1080p:

I feel like the pictures are slightly deceptive but the game does have a softer look to it compared to OG PS4. However, it is much cleaner then OG PS4 Hitman as well. So they did something with the AA or post-processing to make it this way.

And the patch is out because menu's are working at normal speed instead of being laggy to pull up like they are on the OG PS4 (and it runs better in unlocked mode I feel).

winstano

hitmanreg106sf7.png

hitmanpro1mps6q.png

hitmanreg2n7sz6.png

hitmanpro2z7su8.png

They're the captures from the opening of Paris that the image above came from. It's weird, it looks a lot softer in a bunch of places, but some of the textures look better (Sanguine ICE logo etc)

One thing is that the higher res textures take an *AGE* to load, both on Pro and regular

Venuspower

I found the reason for the bug that caused the glitched water textures in TLOU (at least for me).

Loading the level in 60 FPS mode and switching straight to 30 FPS as soon as you are ingame.

Workaround: If you activate the 30 FPS before you are loading the level everything will be fine. You are also able to switch between 30 FPS and 60 FPS after that while ingame.

Excellent, thanks. Adding to the OP!

VE3TRO

Formerly Gizmowned
Thats some weird stuff going on with HITMAN, don't know if I like the smoother look. I was just running that level on XB1 so took the same snaps to compare. Is it running RGB or YUV Pro because they look dark. Don't have my Pro yet so don't know what video settings it offers.

MaKTaiL

Can you guys try locking the framerate on HITMAN to see if the image quality gets better? Maybe they are using dynamic resolution just like The Last of Us depending on which mode you want to play in (locked or unlocked framerate).

"some games" 2 games, one of them people can't decide if it's even an issue yet or if they just don't "like" the way it now looks.

I'm going to go out on a limb here and say there's nothing wrong with the Hitman one. I'll grant you that there is a softness that isn't wholly present in the original, but as stated, that's likely just a different AA at work. The jump in IQ is so obvious.

That's an interesting one for The Last of Us. Sounds like the different rending modes aren't properly loading if you switch them in the middle of a level. Sounds like the sort of thing that would be pretty easy to miss in QA. Sounds patchable at least.

No idea about the FF thing though.

vpance

Don't like the softness in Hitman. Also some textures are definitely screwed up because it's hard to read the text on some signs now.

MaKTaiL

I made some comparison screenshots with the images provided by one of the users on the OT. Standard PS4 is definitely sharper. Black level seems to be washed out on Pro as well, but maybe he was not using Full RGB setting as I am. Here they are:

basefree

What annoys me the most is that we can't opt to just turn pro mode off and have it run exactly the same as standard PS4 if we choose. Nope, issues be damned, we've gotta run it the way the devs "intended" it to.

Kelegacy

XBOX - RECORD ME LOVING DOWN MY WOMAN GOOD
Playing on a pro and man, this game is washed out. Or brighness/gamma is too high cant seem to get it right. Looks horrendous as a result.

Edit: i had to adjust the tvs black level to crush the blacks and then increases the gamma in game. Weird. But the game menus are still crushed but the game itself when unpaused looks okay now. I will have to switch the tv settings when i play any other game though. Not sure wth is wrong

Top Bottom