• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Battlefield 1 Conquest PS4 Pro Frame Rate Test

Theorry

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6odbYo6nXZ8

Stats.

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets/d/14PqUzNgSJDsYg1mA1MWRW9CBdhNzj2dr020fuwoimnQ/edit

Drops sometimes to the mid and low 50. But overall pretty solid on most maps.
St Quentin Scar (second map in the video) is the map that struggles the most in the game. Also on the other consoles. Dropping more often to low 50 or mid 45 in the plane or 38 at a certain section when looking at a specific section overlooking the map. But drops in fps also on the other consoles right there.

Vaga

I didn't have an issue with the performance on PS4 (like, at all), but that is good.

wat?

I play 90% of the time 64 CQ and on PS4 the performance is pretty crappy when things get crazy with all the explosions, particles, dust, smoke, dirt it goes sub-30 in most cases.

Only played a few games on Pro but I've experienced miles better framerate, very few dips and resolution drops.

viHuGi

Banned
Nice! So the Pro update was hidden on the first patch? That explains the larger size compared to Xone and PC patchs

This does not seem like the update, more likely they enabled the extra power on Pro to do the work.

A bigger and better update should be coming.

This does not seem like the update, more likely they enabled the extra power on Pro to do the work.

I am also assuming there is another pro update coming as well. Regardless, this improvement performance makes me happy. I thought the game did seem more stable when I was playing on my Pro earlier.

Rey

This is gonna sound dumb maybe but is it possible that playing a game on the ps4 PRO it is using the increased CPU clock speed unpatched? But the game needs to be patched to use the updated GPU?

Xater

It's close for a console 60FPS game, not perfect but you also have to considering the size and player count of the games and the CPU.
Plus 1080P.

Yeah the CPU probably still is a bottleneck here. Constant 60 like in Titanfall 2 would have been super cool though.

CrayToes

I can confirm that it is indeed a huge improvement. Still not perfect but far more enjoyable now. I was avoiding 64 player modes on the OG because of the abysmal performance.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony

This IS the update. They updated BF1 to work with PS4 Pro. They don't have an obligation to actually do anything more than this for BF1.

This IS the update. They updated BF1 to work with PS4 Pro. They don't have an obligation to actually do anything more than this for BF1.
They don't have an obligation but maybe they WANT to do more. They kept improving BF4, especially on PC, for 2 years. I have almost no doubt they will improve and refine Pro performance even further.

Kinan

Here the olde PS4 test for comparison:

Video

Stats

And thats with all the tricks:

Pixel counts indicate that conquest mode in Battlefield 1 on PS4 uses a dynamic resolution. The lowest and highest pixel counts found during regular gameplay were approximately 1100x620 and 1807x1014 respectively. There also appears to be a rare bug that causes the resolution to drop to an extremely low pixel count for a short period of time as can be seen here http://imgur.com/a/jHoB2. The lowest pixel count found during this drop is about 160x90.

Pretty underwhelming.
I expected a nice resolution bump and stable 60FPS, give that it was already close to 1080p and close to 60FPS before

Damn, pretty disappointing to see it dip well below 60 fps to 40 fps, the performance still sucks in intense action.

For comparison, you need R9 280X coupled with i7 to maintain similar FPS in Conquest on PC. It Ultra Preset though, did not find any other tests.

Its not really similar though, their testing had the 280X dip to 55 fps, whereas the PS4 Pro dipped to 40 fps.

A weaker CPU could also be coupled with it to maintain that frame-rate, that's a i7 6900K, an 8 core 16 thread Broadwell-E Processor.

A Sandy or Ivy-bridge I5 could feed that GPU well, you don't need that monster to do it lol.

Kinan

Damn, pretty disappointing to see it dip well below 60 fps to 40 fps, the performance still sucks in intense action.

Its not really similar though, their testing had the 280X dip to 55 fps, whereas the PS4 Pro dipped to 40 fps.
A weaker CPU could also be coupled with it to maintain that frame-rate.

Honestly, 57.52fps as a average fps is not what I would describe as "performance sucks", really. They also picked a worst performing part of the whole test:

Note that the clip starting at 4:07 shows the worst performing scene found in over 3 and a half hours of analysed footage.

Tarnpanzer

Sooo.. people with Pro's are going to have advantage over OG models?

Yes. Better framerate on Pro really helps in tight situations, where your opponent doesn´t have that advantage of more fluid controls if he is playing on old PS4.

Honestly, 57.52fps as a average fps is not what I would describe as "performance sucks", really. They also picked a worst performing part of the whole test:

The minimum frame-rate is incredibly important, perhaps the second most, or even the most important frame-rate, It's really important for a smoother experience.
Plummeting from 60 to 40 fps at points isn't good to see. There were also multiple parts in the video where it was running sub 50 fps.

Those minimums are an improvement over the 30 fps that can be seen on the PS4 but it's a shame that it frequently dips below 50 in intense action and in game modes like 64 player Conquest.

Fortunately it mostly runs over 50 fps, but the performance is quite disappointing to see from a new console. Especially for those who upgraded from their PS4 to get better performance.

Maybe the performance will improve over time as the game gets patched, that would be good to see.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
They don't have an obligation but maybe they WANT to do more. They kept improving BF4, especially on PC, for 2 years. I have almost no doubt they will improve and refine Pro performance even further.

We'll see, but i do expect low effort patches at points too.

Pretty underwhelming.
I expected a nice resolution bump and stable 60FPS, give that it was already close to 1080p and close to 60FPS before

"Already close to 1080p"? At points PS4 went SUB HD. Sub 720p!

Most of the time it was in between 900p and 1080p on the lower side.

The FPS of the PS4 game on conquest was according to DF around 49 FPS with XB1 around 51 FPS. PS4 Pro is recorded at being 57 FPS, that's no small feat.

I think people are expecting a bit too much from the CPU.

nOoblet16

Pretty underwhelming.

It was never close to 60FPS, not in conquest multiplayer anyway.
And it was also not close to 1080P, it topped out at 1000P, but had dynamic res meaning it dropped below more often than not due to the fact that it constantly suffered performance issues.

Yeah I could definitely tell it was a smoother experience. You don't need a patch to take advantage of the new hardware, right? If you're framerate is unlocked and you have a dynamic resolution you should be able to hit those targets a lot better when you suddenly have access to more power. Obviously I've never developed for games before.

Xater

Yeah I could definitely tell it was a smoother experience. You don't need a patch to take advantage of the new hardware, right? If you're framerate is unlocked and you have a dynamic resolution you should be able to hit those targets a lot better when you suddenly have access to more power. Obviously I've never developed for games before.

On Xbox it works that way, but not on PS4. Digital Foundry tested it with Project Cars and saw no improvement on the Pro. Games do need a patch to take any advantage of the extra hardware.

The games should still run in base mode, I believe they have to have Pro support added for them to take advantage of the PS4 Pro's additional power.

The minimum frame-rate is incredibly important, perhaps the second most, or even the most important frame-rate, It's really important for a smoother experience.
Plummeting from 60 to 40 fps at points isn't good to see. There were also multiple parts in the video where it was running sub 50 fps.

Those minimums are an improvement over the 30 fps that can be seen on the PS4 but it's a shame that it frequently dips below 50 in intense action and in game modes like 64 player Conquest.

Fortunately it mostly runs over 50 fps, but the performance is quite disappointing to see from a new console. Especially for those who upgraded from their PS4 to get better performance.

Maybe the performance will improve over time as the game gets patched, that would be good to see.
Minimum framerate is a bad statistic. For instance if in a benchmark session of 2 hours there is only one drop to a really low number but the rest of the time the framerate is totally stable between 55 and 60 fps the minimum framerate gives you the wrong impression of a games' performance. Especially multiplayer games where framedrops can happen due to outside influences that have nothing to do with the system the game is running on.

Fix it is a big word. It still drops. But 50/55 fps is way nicer then constant 45/50 fps.

This is head and shoulders above OG PS4 and Xbox One. Those two were almost unplayable for me.

The Pro version on the other hand hands is a fantastic 55-60fps in conquest most of the round. You can imagine that it would be almost flawless in the other modes, and it is.

Minimum framerate is a bad statistic. For instance if in a benchmark session of 2 hours there is only one drop to a really low number but the rest of the time the framerate is totally stable between 55 and 60 fps the minimum framerate gives you the wrong impression of a games' performance. Especially multiplayer games where framedrops can happen due to outside influences that have nothing to do with the system the game is running on.

Definitely, which is why I pay close attention to these drops that happen and watch to see if they are prolonged, if they're really short - discard them, they're not really important.

I've seen many performance tests on Consoles and PCs where the minimum frame-rate can be misleading as the frame-rate may dip from 60 to 30 while it is loading an area for example, and this can throw people off. Or even just a short stutter momentarily and still have the frame-rate average really close to it's target.

Perhaps I'm a little too harsh and sensitive to frame-rate fluctuations, but seeing the frame-rate hold around 40-45 fps at points was disappointing for me, you lose the smoothness of a 50+ fps experience.

The average frame-rate is a big improvement, no doubt about that and it's a great upgrade over the standard PS4.
But these dips that can be witnessed when playing this game are often prolonged in intense battles before shooting back up to 50+ fps, similar dips can be witness on the PS4 where it hovers around 30+ fps, however the PS4 Pro has a beneficial boost of around 30% to the minimum frame-rate in this situations.

Outside of 64 player Conquest the performance should be pretty close to a rock solid 60, which is great!
The PS4 and Xbox One got close to this in the less intense game modes and it feels a lot smoother than dips to 40 fps in 64 player Conquest.

Venom Fox

Banned
All the moaning about a 1 second dip to 40FPS when 99% of the time the frame rate is 60FPS.

The average Framerate of that whole video was 57+FPS, this includes all dips. I honestly cannot believe people are trying to downplay this.

Base PS4 is what? 900p, 40-45FPS most of the time on Conquest? Where as the Pro is locked 1080 with 60FPS most of the time in Conquest. An absolutely incredible achievement.

Fix it is a big word. It still drops. But 50/55 fps is way nicer then constant 45/50 fps.
50/55? The average Framerate is 57+FPS with 60 ish being held most of the time with a few dips here and there. I agree that it's nice though.

Top Bottom