• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro fan can be cleaned without voiding the varranty!

DieH@rd

Banned
4udrkka1zdcywvyg4ozdi.jpg

This is great news for people who want to clean their PS4 Pro from time to time. The entire top protective shell is not held together by any screw, you just need to carefully un-snap it from the main body of the console. Removing the top protection gives user full access to cleaning entire fan.

This was shown in the official Sony PS4 Pro teardown video:
https://youtu.be/euBlNq5kda0?t=134

And confirmed again by iFixit during their teardown:
- "With the beast on its back, the opposite panel pops off after some prodigious prying—but no "warranty void" stickers!"
- "While you can't remove the fan, you could certainly clean it from here—maybe that's why we're granted this non-warranty-voiding access zone."

Changing the termal paste is another story of course. Full disassembly is needed for that.

Caayn

Whoo, finally! This makes me happy as it will be really easy to blow out dust stuck in the fan this way. After a few months. No need to open up the entire console.

Also does this open to path to alternative top covers?

I hate ven I void my varranty.

Seriously though, as someone who frequently drags their electronics to the garage to blow them out with an air compressor, this is fantastic!

martino

The youtube video i watched made me think the pro would be quieter.
After playing uncharted 4 i can confirm it's not and the even if the sound is low-pitched in comparaison to OG you hear it as much if not more.
Cleaning them won't change this day one thing.

Wow totally unexpected!

My Pro is whisper quiet even when playing The Division, which made my previous console sound like a jet engine.

Great news that I can keep it this way.

jiggles

Banned
That is false. I own a PS4 Pro and it is only marginally bigger than the OG PS4.

I mean the PSU is huge, not the console. I have both too. It looks like it could have lost about a third of the size with an external power brick (which also would have helped with heat management).

JP

Sounded good until I watched the teardown.

It shows that there are seals that you have to break and remove to be able to do this, the fact that it doesn't say anything about removing them voiding the warranty on the seals doesn't actually mean that you're not voiding the warranty.

EDIT:
To clarify, I'm trying to point out that this is no different to any other electronic device. It will depend on the country what your specific rights as a consumer are but the fact that the seals don't actually mention the warranty doesn't mean that this is any different to any other piece of consumer electronics. You're as protected with this as you are if you've unscrewed any other device.

EDIT 2:
It may well be easier to do it with this hardware but that's the OP claims very specific about the warranty.

Sesuadra

Unconfirmed Member

It shows that there are seals that you have to break and remove to be able to do this, the fact that it doesn't say anything about removing them voiding the warranty on the seals doesn't actually mean that you're not voiding the warranty.

Did we watch different teardowns? You can remove the top of the ps4 pro without breaking an seals and thus clean the fan.

it even says so in the OT
The entire top protective shell is not held together by any screw, you just need to carefully un-snap it from the main body of the console.

Dinjooh

I mean the PSU is huge, not the console. I have both too. It looks like it could have lost about a third of the size with an external power brick (which also would have helped with heat management).

DfCrTPV.jpg

It probably could. But urgh, power bricks.

Zalusithix

Making the PSU external would just be moving space requirements from one place to another. If anything making it external would increase the total volume of space taken up by the system, and it wouldn't really help with cooling. The APU will still generate as much heat as it does now, and that's the primary cooling requirement. The exhaust from cooling the APU is what keeps the PSU temps at bay. The fan is never going to need to spin up faster than the APU itself needs to stay cool.

Hell, efficient low wattage PSUs don't even generate that much heat in the first place. The power requirements for the console would be passive PSU territory in PC land. Granted that's with heatsinks, but still.

TAS

This is AMAZING news. My gaming room is a dust magnet so I will undoubtedly have to clean out my Pro down the road.

DieH@rd

Banned

Engineer in the video was doing a full teardown, that's why he first voided the warranty.

Top cover can be remove easily by anyone.

EDIT 2:
It may well be easier to do it with this hardware but that's the OP claims very specific about the warranty.

My point still stands. You are too focused on things you saw early in that video. Warranty is voided when back screw stickers are removed. Taking off the top cover does not involve touching them.

Edit- I've added another quote from iFixit in the OP from their PS4 Pro teardown:
"While you can't remove the fan, you could certainly clean it from here—maybe that's why we're granted this non-warranty-voiding access zone."

anddo0

That's what I'm talking about, preventive maintenance made simple.. Laptop manufactures have started to adopt this as well.. It should be easy access, regular cleaning every 3-6 months under heavy use is a must for many of us.

w0s

This is really awesome. Had to clean my last fan and it bit me by not being able to turn it in for a pro. So glad they did this.

score01

ok, have to admit, this is pretty cool for us OCD tech freaks.

I Imagine that it may make it easier for fan upgrades as well?

*edit*
This also clears the way for some 3rd party top covers?

Arex

That's good to hear.

Is there space for LED light in there? someone should do a light mod for the playstation logo. I want to see it lit up lol

Top Bottom