• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I can't get over how bad FFXV's cover is

pashmilla

Banned
Note: this is not talking about the quality of the game itself, pls don't jump on me.

I was looking at the Tesco website debating whether to pre-order, and it still blows my mind how utterly awful the cover art is.

Final-Fantasy-XV-covers-1-1280x1597.jpg

What is Gladiolus pointing at? Where the fuck is Prompto going? Noctis' hilariously bad action pose. It just looks like dumb generic fighty game 22922828. This suggestion from the other thread:

would have been great.

Alternatively, as the old saying goes, if it ain't broke don't fix it:

Reversible cover, sure, but that's not the first impression newcomers are going to have when they see it on the shelf. Also it just looks really bad. Blegh.

I think the official one works better as a cover you would see at a store. It features the central party members and implies the road trip stuff. The key art is gorgeous, but it's very busy and misleading in ways if it were used as a cover.

Believe me, if it were an alternate cover I would flip it over immediately, but I get why that's not the cover art.

Verendus

Banned
It's pretty terrible, but where is that second picture from? That's actually quite good.

Mufasa and the Lunatic Fringe.

sublimit

Banned
Yeah it's bad but the other one you posted is equally bad as well.

White background with a logo forever. <3

Glix

It is awful.

Second one is terrible as well.

All White is freaking sweet and nostalgic

edit - oh man, the japan cover is fucking dope.

pashmilla

Banned
So you're saying a logo on white background would actually attract more people to buy this game?

I'm saying the FF logo-on-white-background formula is a tried and true classic that always looks good and I have no idea why Square have suddenly decided to fuck with it.

Kinyou

What is Gladiolus pointing at? Where the fuck is Prompto going? Noctis' hilariously bad action pose. It just looks like dumb generic fighty game 22922828. This suggestion from the other thread:
Probably those giant things appearing in the sky. I think they wanted to make this look like it was taken in the middle of action but I agree that it doesn't work all that well.

antitrop

The Japanese cover is perfect.

I just want to know why Prompto is Dukes of Hazarding the hood of that car for absolutely no reason on the US cover.

Jawmuncher

I actually think the US cover now is just fine. The logo by itself just doesn't look right, and the fan box art is kinda false when you think about it.
Not a fan of the japanese box art.

For the region they're selling the game, the US cover makes since.

Ultimadrago

I don't think the second picture is bad, almost good actually. But too many randoms in it. And if they are not by-book soldiers, that is some horrible armor. The detail in the backdrop, while swell, is also too busy.

In any case, yes. That top cover is not very good.

The actual cover we got is garbage.

The Japanese cover is great. Even the fan-cover made from that key visual is better, even if it doesn't make a ton of compositional sense.

This is why you buy the Deluxe Edition for the steelbook.

QxDEz4c.jpg

That looks like an overdesigned mess.

#sorrynotsorry

Seriously Amano can do way better

-----------

The cover is horrific

I am gonna try to create the second cover someone posted from the poster released today. That looks GLORIOUS!

Gbraga

It's a marvel poster, but since there are no women in the main party, the boys have to turn their backs to us.

bigmac996

Yeah the cover were getting is terrible. Stiff, awkward poses, weird composition. Would have much preferred the Japanese cover.

Lothars

I think the cover looks good. It would be nice if there's a reversible cover anyway but so far all the covers i've seen are nice.

I actually like the standard US one over the one suggested in the OP. Neither are great, but I can't get over how goofy it looks that they are striking a pose while being attacked by soldiers in the second pic.

Japanese cover art is amazing. Atmosphere/Tone.

Top Bottom