• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD's fortunes rise as more graphics cards move in Q3 2016

A good quarter for AMD as the company managed to increase its share of the discreet graphics card market to 29.1% compared to 18.8% this time last year.

The latest graphics card market report from Jon Peddie Research sheds some light on the behaviors of graphics-card buyers, and AMD's bet on Polaris seems to have paid off. Since the third quarter of last year, the red team has clawed back 10.3% of market share from Nvidia.

News are also good for the PC gaming market in general:

As a whole, the graphics card industry has enjoyed a 9.2% year-on-year increase in shipments, confirming that gamers are responding to the release of graphics cards fabricated on next-gen process tech. JPR says as much, saying that "PC gaming momentum continues to build," and that market demand for gaming PCs is "robust." The firm also notes that the 38.2% sequential increase in quarterly graphics card shipments is well above the ten-year average of 14.3% for this time of year.

For more details follow the link:

http://techreport.com/news/31005/report-amd-fortunes-rise-as-more-graphics-cards-move-in-q3-2016

That's really good! They could take even more of the market if they get the 490 out in a prompt fashion. But they need to make sure it's competitive with the 1080ti probably. Regardless it's a great time for PC builders, good options all around. I'd really like to see AMD be a big enough threat to bring adaptive sync around in general to display devices and get Nvidia support. Maybe we'd even see TV's with support for it. Many would certainly benefit.

Good for AMD. The RX 480 is a really good card and the value of it has been amazing with all of the sales lately. I hope their next generation GPU's are competitive with what Nvidia pushes out because, we really need the competition.

Alavard

Hey, good for them. I've been an Nvidia guy for several cards now, but increased competition is always good.

dr_rus

AIB-Table1.PNG

That's a 0.8% decrease in market share for AMD since Polaris launch. Granted it's smaller than I've expected from the overall numbers published earlier and the absolute shipped numbers went up considerably for everyone - which is good for AMD as well - but still I don't see how exactly this transforms into "AMD's fortunes rise".

If you open the original JPR report the headline is quite a bit different: Add-in board market increased in Q3'16, AMD lost market share, while Nvidia gained

kromeo

AIB-Table1.PNG

That's a 0.8% decrease in market share for AMD since Polaris launch. Granted it's smaller than I've expected from the overall numbers published earlier and the absolute shipped numbers went up considerably for everyone - which is good for AMD as well - but still I don't see how exactly this transforms into "AMD's fortunes rise".

If you open the original JPR report the headline is quite a bit different: Add-in board market increased in Q3'16, AMD lost market share, while Nvidia gained

Do you work for Nvidia out of interest?

Lister

Banned
More competition is better for all consumers. Fantastic news about the overlal marketplace too.

Doesn't seem like new consoles are slowing down PC any.

Lister

Banned
AIB-Table1.PNG

Oh man :( Good for Nvidia, I guess. I mean I sure do love my GTX 1080 ;) But would liek to see AMD rally a bit.

Sub_Level

wants to fuck an Asian grill.
I got my new card last month. Along with mobo, ram, hdd, cpu, and peripherals. First upgrade in 6+ years. Damn pc gaming feels good. Glad to be back on board.

Do you work for Nvidia out of interest?
It´s getting incredible annoying at this point.

Also with Nintendo going Nvidia we will have him in every technical Switch thread. :/
I work for correct information out of interest.
No, you work on spinning information to always present NV in the best possible way/AMD in the worst possible.

@topic: A 10% increase in marketshare sounds nice.
I hope they also continue to strengthen their software department and we will have a healthy GPU market in the future again.

tkscz

I'm using a 380x at the moment and I love it. Not upgrading until the Xen CPU is released so I might end up skipping the 480

StereoVsn

It´s getting incredible annoying at this point.

Also with Nintendo going Nvidia we will have him in every technical Switch thread. :/

No, you work on spinning information to always present NV in the best possible way/AMD in the worst possible.

@topic: A 10% increase in marketshare sounds nice.
I hope they also continue to strengthen their software department and we will have a healthy GPU market in the future again.
Eh, but he is correct. AMD got the gain earlier in the year and lost a bit of market share in the last quarter. Now, they are doing better then last year but consider that their market share only exists at low to mid cards. They have nothing for the high end during holiday sale season.

Good news for the PC gaming industry on the whole. Hopefully Zen is a success and AMD will have the resources to keep competing in the high end.

Still waiting for AMD's CPU cards to come out. I recently picked up a RX480

It'd be a hoot if Zen used a SECC cartridge like the old CPUs:

IMG_0411Small.jpg

Good news. We have Pascal Titan X at $1200 thanks to no competition at that high end. Very important to not have a monopoly, and this is coming from someone who bought the last 3 cards nVida.

MadYarpen

Good to hear, I think I'll buy a gaming PC after all and I think it will be one with RX480. Full HD is enough for me, so I guess it is a good choice.

thenexus6

I built my first PC in the spring, when I want a beefier card I will jump ship to AMD, been impressed with everything i've seen with the 470 / 480 cards.

NeOak

Oh hey, a thread that paints AMD in a good light comparing market share with LAST year.

Of course notable member dr_rus showed up and made it a negative by comparing it with last quarter.

You sure showed them, boss!

OT: Shows that the 480 was able to hold on to the sub 200 market share. The loss definitely was in the high end market because there is no Vega, so no competition.

Akronis

Oh look it's already turning into an NVIDIA vs. AMD thread!

OT: AMD needs Vega to be priced well and perform at the very least on par with GTX 1080 (although that'd be pretty awful considering the 1080 Ti is probably here soon).

OmegaX

Good for AMD. I'm buying an RX 480 this Friday to replace my old POS ASUS R9 280x. Hopefully, Black Friday brings good discounts.

Bolivar687

Banned
Well-deserved, these cards are such no-brainers for anyone building a new system. The R9 Fury price drop has been fantastic as well.

I feel like AMD would be a good company to invest in based on future releases. Or is that a terrible idea?

The market is always one step ahead of you and the prospect of future releases is already built into the share price now.

It would've been better to buy them earlier in the year when they were around $2 a share. For all we know, their new contracts could be a bust and Zen + Vega could miss their targets or just fail to take off. I will say that their potential $300 card does have a chance to set the GPU market on fire, neither company really has a card in that 970/290 sweet spot right now.

My next card will probably be AMD. Also probably AMD cpu.

Oh hey, a thread that paints AMD in a good light comparing market share with LAST year.

Of course notable member dr_rus showed up and made it a negative by comparing it with last quarter.

You sure showed them, boss!

OT: Shows that the 480 was able to hold on to the sub 200 market share. The loss definitely was in the high end market because there is no Vega, so no competition.

The OP says that AMD had a great quarter. Turns out their quarter over last was not as huge as previous gains. Why are people upset that someone posted that? The OP is misleading and he posted information refuting it.

It would have been more accurate to say AMD had a great year over last, not a great quarter.

LordRaptor

PC gaming as a specific market continues to provide growth, in the face of much tut-tutting about a "post-PC world".

tesqui

I went from gtx670 to RX480 and it's been great! They seem to be getting way better with there drivers. Each one seems to have a pretty significant increase in performance.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
good news. really hope they keep it up. my first GPU was an AMD and i thought it was great but i ended up moving to nvidia because a 480 is too weak for what i want. in fact it was hardly an upgrade at all. maybe if they had a really good RX 490/X i'd have got one of them. right now an intel cpu/nvidia gpu is the only way to go if you want true performance but i dream of a day where i can have a PC with both an AMD CPU/GPU.

we really need AMD to keep intel/nvidia in check. they are getting away with too much.

I went from gtx670 to RX480 and it's been great! They seem to be getting way better with there drivers. Each one seems to have a pretty significant increase in performance.

i remember everyone hating on AMD for their drivers. i personally never had many issues with them. 1 or 2 but they were fixed quickly. since i've moved to nvidia i've noticed their drivers are much worse.

Considering how their cards shipped numbers cratered before Polaris, any increase would be good. However we have also seen Pascal ship a ton more cards so overall market share still fell.

kami_sama

I had to get a 1070 this year (no comparable AMD card), but I'll always be rooting for them. More competition is always good, and it's easy to root for the underdog.

Hope Zen and Vega work out as expected.

NeOak

The OP says that AMD had a great quarter. Turns out their quarter over last was not as huge as previous gains. Why are people upset that someone posted that? The OP is misleading and he posted information refuting it.

It would have been more accurate to say AMD had a great year over last, not a great quarter.
I didn't say he was wrong, and OP fucked up by saying quarter. The article says "Since the third quarter of last year, the red team has clawed back 10.3% of market share from Nvidia."

The problem is that whenever dr_rus shows up in an AMD thread, it quickly devolves into a "NVIDIA vs AMD" thread. Happened for some of the several Polaris threads. He isn't diplomatic at all. Not even Unknown Soldier gets that kind of negative reaction.

GenericUser

This is great news for me. I found their mid-spec GPUs really appealing this year. I'm holding out on the xen/vega stuff that's supposed to come out sometime next year though.

Multiple times, I tried to configure a gaming PC with Nvidia and Intel Hardware and it always felt like I was paying too much euros for what I was getting. Thanks to AMD for finally putting a competition on these two :3

V_Arnold

Would not be an amd thread without Rus and Unknown Soldier fighting the good fight.

The initial post compared them to last YEAR, not last quarter.

It is also quite visible that they were most likely supply-constrained. Lets see what the next 1-2 quarters bring. The 1060/1050 and RX470 fight is not as one-sided as Nvidia-fans would like it to seem.

Durante

It's the GPU equivalent of post-truth politics ;)

Would not be an amd thread without Rus and Unknown Soldier fighting the good fight.
You are in a thread titled
"AMD's fortunes rise as more graphics cards move in Q3 2016"
based on a report titled
"Add-in board market increased in Q3'16, AMD lost market share, while Nvidia gained".

Providing some clarification of the actual situation is hardly unexpected.

I bought AMD stock right before the PS4/XB1 were released in 2013.

The stock tanked for a few years but has now tripled. Good times.

dr_rus

What's getting annoying really are the AMD fanboys totally living in a post-truth world.

I didn't say he was wrong, and OP fucked up by saying quarter. The article says "Since the third quarter of last year, the red team has clawed back 10.3% of market share from Nvidia."

The article is incorrect as well since it says:
AMD's bet on Polaris seems to have paid off
While the facts given in the article itself clearly show that it didn't - all the ~10% gain AMD achieved since last year's Q3 is wholly attributed to 300 series against Maxwell 900 series sales during 4q15, 1q16 and 2q16.

You could argue of course that without Polaris they would've shown much worse results for the 3rd quarter of this year but this again doesn't mean that "bet on Polaris paid off" since they haven't actually gained anything with it - just stayed on approximately the same market share after three quarters of actually gaining it with 300 series.

Edit:

This word ought to be popular.

LordOfChaos

JPR says as much, saying that "PC gaming momentum continues to build," and that market demand for gaming PCs is "robust." The firm also notes that the 38.2% sequential increase in quarterly graphics card shipments is well above the ten-year average of 14.3% for this time of year.

This is important and something I feel like the "PC shipments declining, zomg!" crowd misses - shipments of complete systems are falling because a 5 year old 2500K can still handle games, while gaming COMPONENTS, like dedicated GPUs, are on the upswing.

It's not looking grim at all from that lens, it's a great ass time to be a PC gamer.

AIB-Table1.PNG

If they both sold more GPUs, are their fortunes /not/ rising? Their marketshare fell, but they sold more GPUs. AMD needs to be selling more GPUs. Marketshare seems very, very secondary to that.
Selling more GPUs is saving AMD. Having more marketshare as a percent is...Nice?

I mean, you could of course argue that they could have had a bigger slice of that increased GPU market, but it still ends up being a positive for AMD if it's saving their butts.

Cels

i have a 1070 myself but i just got two people who want to get into pc gaming to buy rx 480 8gb (reference) for under $200...can't really beat that price.

but amd has not really done better with polaris as others have pointed out

Durante

This is important and something I feel like the "PC shipments declining, zomg!" crowd misses - shipments are falling because a 5 year old 2500K can still handle games, while gaming COMPONENTS, like dedicated GPUs, are on the upswing.

It's not looking grim at all from that lens, it's a great ass time to be a PC gamer.
Absolutely, it's something I try to mention every time the "shrinking PC market" argument is brought up.

Whether or not companies decide to upgrade their 10000 office PCs to newer models has a huge impact on the "PC market", but none at all on the PC gaming market.

dr_rus

MAGA now stands for "Make AMD Great Again"!

I sincerely hope that AMD will actually change its fortunes with Zen (a good chance here imo) and Vega (less chances probably but who knows).

If they both sold more GPUs, are their fortunes /not/ rising? Their marketshare fell, but they sold more GPUs. AMD needs to be selling more GPUs. Marketshare seems very, very secondary to that.

I've said that it's good for everyone that the overall shipments increased by 38% as everyone made more money from GPU sales last quarter - AMD including. So you could say that the whole industry (well, that's AMD and NV basically now) had its "fortunes rise" during last quarter. What remains to be seen is if they will be able to keep that gain or this will turn out to be a one time (seasonal?) fluke.

The same JPR report hints that the shipments rise in Q3 may have actually been a compensation for Q2 shortages:

AIB-graph1.PNG

Considering that all new cards (Pascals and Polarises) were in short supply for months after launch this rise in 3Q may actually mean that they've finally supplied whatever people were ordering back in 2Q (meaning Pascals mostly but 480 preorders were active in June as well I think). Or maybe people were specifically waiting for the new generation of cards instead of buying the outgoing series. This is something which will be answered only in a year from now probably.

Cels

I sincerely hope that AMD will actually change its fortunes with Zen (a good chance here imo) and Vega (less chances probably but who knows).

what i don't understand is why they let 1070 and 1080 monopolize the $350+ space for nearly six months. if they had released a competitive 490 in june things would be looking different

V_Arnold

You are in a thread titled
"AMD's fortunes rise as more graphics cards move in Q3 2016"
based on a report titled
"Add-in board market increased in Q3'16, AMD lost market share, while Nvidia gained".

Providing some clarification of the actual situation is hardly unexpected.

I would be so up for this fact-based approach if we would not hear about how 1060 is roughly 20% more powerful than the rx480 is. How about correcting that one?
Also, clarification is nice, but it does not make the OP's claim false. It paints a different picture in the short term, sure, but it is not a doomsday scenario, ESPECIALLY when providing last year's numbers.

Top Bottom