• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMD announces Zen CPU preview on 13th December, hosted by Geoff Keighley.

Seronei

Watch New Horizon, hosted by Geoff Keighley, for an exclusive advance preview of our new “Zen” CPU ahead of its 2017 Q1 launch.
See eSports & Evil Geniuses legend PPD put “Zen” through its paces. There’ll be appearances from special guests and giveaways.
This is the first time the public will be able to try it themselves and see what it’s capable of. If you’re serious about gaming, this is an event you do not want to miss.
http://www.amd.com/en-us/innovations/new-horizon

Pakkidis

We really need some decent competition in the CPU area. Like most AMD products I expect this to be good for the price point but won't match intel's latest offering, just like its always been for the last 15 years.

We really need some decent competition in the CPU area. Like most AMD products I expect this to be good for the price point but won't match intel's latest offering, just like its always been for the last 15 years.

100% this.

Same on the GPU side. AMD has done better recently in the low end, but needs to get back into competing in the i7 and GTX 1080 space.

Is this the CPU that is rumoured to be in the Scorpio?

I thought folk were saying that wasnt due until well into next year and would be too late to put into any consoles for 2017, or is that still the case?

What? The audience that would watch it don't care about integrated graphics.

Yeah, I always game on hot integrated GPUs.

Since when "gamers" care about iGPU?

I laughed.

Obviously. What I mean is, what would be the point in showing off Zen in a gaming scenario when CPU's for gaming have been topped out for the past two years or so? Just to show that they've caught up to Intel? If they're just going to show off Zen systems with high-end GPUs running games, that's not going to tell you anything about Zen.

It'll probably be on twitch and/or youtube. You didn't have to sign up for the last stream they did.

Okay thank! I know i wont understand a lot of the technical things they will talk about, but i will be excited to see the reaction on it's capabilities from others here. :D

Huh. Interesting to put on a gaming event for a CPU that doesn't have an integrated GPU.

Zen is tailor made to compliment Polaris and Vega GPU architectures.

So those preview builds will likely have RX 480s in them, or maybe the rumores new RX 490 dual Polaris 10 Ellesmere GPU.

Kaako

Felium Defensor

I thought folk were saying that wasnt due until well into next year and would be too late to put into any consoles for 2017, or is that still the case?
Yes but safe to say not rumored any more since we just got our confirmation with this announcement. Zen in Scorpio will pretty much be a new gen for MS.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
SURPRISE It's in Scorpio lol
Hosted by Geoff!? LOL why? Oh cause it's in the Scorpio, that's why. 100% now.
So Scorpio with a new CPU architecture. New generation confirmed.

The excerpt in the OP mentions that e-sports teams will be "[putting the CPU] through its paces". This isn't a Scorpio announcement but essentially a reveal of the first real-world gaming benchmarks, which may seem strange, but you have to keep in mind that Intel ran off with the ball when it released Conroe/Core2Duo a little over a decade ago now -- AMD's been fighting an uphill battle ever since.

It was reported that AMD ruled out accepting semi-custom contracts for Zen before 2018, which, if accurate, in turn means it won't be in Scorpio.

Obviously. What I mean is, what would be the point in showing off Zen in a gaming scenario when CPU's for gaming have been topped out for the past two years or so? Just to show that they've caught up to Intel? If they're just going to show off Zen systems with high-end GPUs running games, that's not going to tell you anything about Zen.

Da fuck you on? There's still a load of games that are CPU bound. And showing that they've caught up and/or possibly surpassed Intel would still be a big deal if they price aggressively.

So Scorpio with a new CPU architecture. New generation confirmed.

As soon as Microsoft said Scorpio had 8-cores, I instantly thought Zen.

There's no way in hell a 6TFLOP GPU can be paired with the horribly outdated Jaguar CPU and deliver enthusiast grade performance.

Totally has to be Zen, maybe even Vega too.

Yes but safe to say not rumored any more since we just got our confirmation with this announcement. Zen in Scorpio will pretty much be a new gen for MS.

How is this in any way confirmation that Zen is going to be in Scorpio? Not saying it won't be, but there's nothing here that confirms anything (unless I'm missing something).

Kayant

I can't warp my head how people are getting how this is a confirmation that zen with be in Scorpio.

OT - Hopefully review sites can get some benchmarks.

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.
How is this in any way confirmation that Zen is going to be in Scorpio? Not saying it won't be, but there's nothing here that confirms anything (unless I'm missing something).

You're not missing anything. Some appear to be responding to the thread title and not the actual OP.

Anyone think Phil will just walk out on stage and then give an announcement to when they will announce more info about the scorpio? LOL

".. and come Holiday 2017 you can experience the latest technology of ZEN with Project Scorpio. We listened, we created, we will deliver.. as our promise to Gamers first is the core of Microsoft and Xbox."

I'm being too optimistic. lol and very silly. :p

aeolist

Banned
zen is most likely not going to be in the TDP range needed to fit into a console, especially if it had to be on the same die as a large GPU

don't get your hopes up

Zojirushi

Well yeah, they would obviously have to benchmark it in a CPU bound scenario vs. an Intel CPU. I don't know if this is the right venue for technical stuff of that kind.

The fuck is this thread on? Nowhere does this state Scorpio is using Zen.

For such a big hardcore gaming site, it's actually kind of amazing how often people here forget that PC gaming exists.

Also, AMD isn't making Zen ready for semi-custom use until after Scorpio comes out.

Kaako

Felium Defensor
Perhaps I read too much into it lol but gut feeling says this is in Scorpio & this event could confirm that in due time.

I also find it interesting, and I think what it tells us is AMD wants to target and market to the PC gaming audience with this product. Putting gaming at the forefront of the efforts for this CPU is an interesting approach, and I wonder if these efforts extend past simple marketing, and if they really prioritized the designed of the CPU for gaming applications.

Deeke[VRZ];225646457 said:

There's no way in hell a 6TFLOP GPU can be paired with the horribly outdated Jaguar CPU and deliver enthusiast grade performance.

That outdated Jaguar CPU also has 8 cores though.

And this just after I upgraded to a 4690k...

image.php

The 4690K still holds up pretty well, I wouldn't really worry about it unless you're CPU bound in a lot of the games you play.

Deeke[VRZ];225646457 said:

You can still throw more GPU power at the Jaguar cores, you may encounter CPU limits but then you can do things such as raising the resolution and improving the graphics, all this can be done without needing a more powerful CPU. The problem begins when you want to push higher frame-rates, this is where a more powerful CPU can help.

Battlefield 1 is CPU bound on the PS4 Pro and sees dips to 40 fps, even though the GPU is capable of running at 60 fps with a dynamic resolution between 1080p and 1440p, however to counter the CPU limitations they raised the resolution and improved the graphics while still being CPU bound in an attempt to use more of the GPU.

Keighley getting some work this month.

Still, colour me intrigued. I admittedly buckled in building my current rig and got an AMD CPU due to the cost comparison to Intel's stuff, and have mildly regretted it. I mean, it does decently enough, but its clearly not got longevity to it. Zen would have to be something special to convince me not to switch to Intel in future.

Top Bottom