• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

The objective top 10 games of 2016

Status
Not open for further replies.
The thread about Time's top 10 games list got me thinking. That list was very obviously the subjective (and incorrect) opinion of the guy who wrote the article. But who needs such a list? shouldn't a Top 10 be objective? Shouldn't it be a measure of objective qualities like graphics, sound quality and gameplay? Someone wanting to buy the best games of the year would be misled by Time's list, because it is based on the opinion of some hipster journalist, rather than objective criteria.

So I thought I should compile an objective list of the best games of the year. But how does one go about doing that? Obviously, the best game is the game that most people enjoys, so we need an objective measure of which games have been most enjoyed by gamers this year. I considered looking at sales, but such a list would obviously be flawed, because good marketing can easily dupe someone into buying a sub-standard game (case in point: No Man's Sky). Then I considered making a list off of Metascore. But that wouldn't be any better than Time's list. Again, we would just be perpetuating the subjective opinions of out-of-touch bearded gaming "journalists".

So in the end, the best criterion I could come up with was Metacritic userscore. This is the opinion of real gamers. Also, there are a lot more gamers than journalists, so the score is a result of many people, which means the number will be closer to the objective score of the game than a critic score based on a small echo chamber of journalists. So without further ado, here are the top 10 games of 2016

1. Darksiders: Warmastered Edition (XBO, PS4, PC) 9.4
2. Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls (PSV) 9.2
3. Dragon Quest VII: Fragments of the Forgotten Past (3DS) 9.1
4. Yomawari: Night Alone (PSV, PC) 9.0
5. Mantis Burn Racing (XBO, PS4, PC) 8.9
5. Hitman (XBO, PS4, PC) 8.9
5. Gurumin 3D: A Monstrous Adventure (3DS) 8.9
5. Phoenix Wright: Ace Attorney - Spirit of Justice (3DS) 8.9
9. Push Me Pull You (PS4) 8.8
9. Grand Kingdom (PS4, PSV) 8.8

The sacred mission of journalism is to report the truth. Any "journalist" that puts out a false, subjective list is betraying this mission. It may not seem serious, but keep in mind that fake news is what led to President Trump. Therefore, I move that any gaming outlet putting out a Top 10 list which differs from the above objective list should be blacklisted on gaf. Feel free to discuss this list, but keep in mind that if you disagree with it, you are objectively wrong.

Uzzy

Superdimension Neptune VS Sega Hard Girls was robbed.

Excellent thread though. Glad to see some objective truth coming into the GOTY debates. But what I want to know is, should the GAF GOTY list differ from this, does GAF have to blacklist itself?

you realize you don't even have to play a game to rate it on metacritic right

you realize pretty much every game gets bombed with 10's or 0's user reviews right

Games That Are Popular Enough To Have Some Kind Of Rabid Fanbase To Spam Ratings But Not Popular Enough To Have Trolls Lowering The Average: The List

Nibel

So you wanted to create an objective "top 10 games of 2016" list by using subjective scores submitted by users whose criteria for videogames are probably impossible to describe as 'objective' or fair

WolfeTone

I don't like subjective reviews by one person. Solution: let me just combine the subjective reviews of a large number of people, that's objective right?

Diancecht

tumblr_nfnl4kAxvO1tgzsvro5_250.gif

Ashtar

"So we judge these games by the criteria of frame rate, resolution, gunplay, and number of dungeons!" - Kyle Bosman
truly the only way to judge game of the year

Blobbers

good attempt but you would ideally make this thread on January 1st, otherwise you're objectively leaving out some games from consideration

RoKKeR

So in the end, the best criterion I could come up with was Metacritic userscore. This is the opinion of real gamers.
Loooooooooooool

Surely there is a reference that I'm missing.

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
So in the end, the best criterion I could come up with was Metacritic userscore. This is the opinion of real gamers.
Fucking LOL. OP, psst, OP, yes, listen very carefully. Metacritic user scores are useless because you don't actually have to provide any proof that you purchased or played the game to provide a review.

ModBot

Not a mod, just a bot.
Nice try, and I definitely recommend linking this thread if you're arguing with someone melting down about reviewer subjectivity, but we do lock parody threads.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom