• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Transfomers: Forged to Fight (Kabam, Mobile Fighting Game) Announced

Drayco21

1472232150_tf_screenshots_01_collect1.jpg

Trailer: here
Destructoid: Article

Kabam Games (Marvel: Contest of Champions, Star Wars: Uprising) has announced their newest project, another fighting game clearly based on CoC called Transformers: Forged to Fight. It features characters from the current toyline (largely G1 based, with heavy emphasis on IDW's current comics as well) and the Bay movieverse stuff.

Looks like it's coming Spring 2017.

I shouldn't let myself get fooled into the hype train again after CoC's business model turned me off, but I can't help but get excited at the prospect of a Transformers fighting game.

paolo11

A mobile fighting game?

It really looks nice but how does it normally work? Is this pay to win always online?

Drayco21

A mobile fighting game?

It really looks nice but how does it normally work? Is this pay to win always online?

Their first game, which this looks like more or less a reskin of, had really simple movesets where you swipe or tap to do one of two strings of attacks, hold a swipe to do a guard break, hold down on the screen to block, and build meter for a super. It's super simple, and obviously not exactly full of high level execution stuff- but I thought it was pretty intuitive and fun for what it was.

The problem with their Marvel game was that it felt like getting new characters, especially strong ones, was locked behind crystals that took too long to grind for free. It seemed to make a lot of money, so I'm expecting the same here- but it was a whole lot of fun for the first couple days before they put the F2P slow down breaks on.

No Beast Wars so I'm not buying.

They've been going hard on animal characters like Weirdwolf and making Alpha Trion a lion in the current toyline, and I'm still convinced next year is going to straight up be Beast Wars themed, plus they've been pushing some of the Beast Wars guys like Ratrap and Waspinator hard in the comics, so I bet we see some Beast Wars stuff in here.

I hope so anyway; Beast Wars is the best.

No Beast Wars so I'm not buying.

They'll add them through a Gacha system when the money starts to dry up.

I'd just like to point out that Beast Wars saved the fucking franchise in the 90s, and Hasbro has done jack shit for its 20th anniversary, except give us a redeco of a shitty Beast Machines toy.

My brothers! Seriously why hasn't there been a Beast Wars reboot? When I was a kid. I liked cars, but Car Transformers always seemed so boring to me. Animal/DINOSAUR Transformers was awesome. Was it just literally a thing that could only work in the 90s?

I want my Beast Wars movie. And my Beast Wars games! (Granted there are 3 games. 1 bad PSX/PC game. And 2 similar fighting games. Fighting games were okay.)

Just want to say the Beast Wars was fucking great (remember the Dinobot episode, you know the one) and is the only part of the Transformers franchise I like.

I wait for its return.

AmyS

I thought devastation was getting a sequel for about a millisecond when I read Transformers.

Me as well.

Devastation was a decent game with awesome visuals. A sequel with equal autobot / deception gameplay characters, some of the G1 season 2 & 3 stuff (more combiners, transforming cities, more varied environments, etc) would go over well IMHO.

Mike M

Nick N
The fact that this is a mashup of Bayverse designs and Generations is interesting. I know Windblade is in the latest animated series, but I don't know if she has a Generations toy too, so it may in actually be three distinct design lines in the mix here.

Revenge of the Fallen Bludgeon (samurai tank dude in the team line up) is relatively obscure, being a character tied to a movie that he never actually appeared in. Makes me wonder who else is in the mix besides the usual suspects.

Some Nobody

I'd just like to point out that Beast Wars saved the fucking franchise in the 90s, and Hasbro has done jack shit for its 20th anniversary, except give us a redeco of a shitty Beast Machines toy.

They kept it in the trash bin where it belonged. Kidding.
I hate Beast Wars but I don't mind people being fans of it.

Anyway, the fact that this is a mobile game is kind of a bummer. But kinda not? Fighting games make my head hurt.

Spiral_Steak

Neo Member
Fighting games on touch devices never work, I don't see how this will be fun at all. The only fighting game that actually used a touch interface well was SSFIV, and that was on the 3DS.

Cardon

Nice to see some fellow Beast Wars fans in here. Guess I may see if I can arrange a dev interview to see how many Beast Wars questions I can slip in. Seriously, I need a solid Beast Wars reboot of some kind so a video game would be ace.

KiDdYoNe

Beta is live today in Sweden and Denmark.

The question is, how to participate?

Not sure what it means to CoC, but I will probably play. For a long time. And then I'll get pissed of by their money grab and sell my account.
Kabam games are amazing but their agressive policy.... ugh.

Ugh Kabam. Just finished talking all kinds of crap about them earlier. I'll give it a look though when it's out.

Agree with everyone on the Beast Wars stuff.

Tizoc

Will Tarn be in this game and have the shun goku satsu where he dashes towards you, whispers in your ear, screen goes dark multieple explosions flash then he poses with megatron's face flashing on his back?

Drayco21

Will Tarn be in this game and have the shun goku satsu where he dashes towards you, whispers in your ear, screen goes dark multieple explosions flash then he poses with megatron's face flashing on his back?

Maaaan, when this doesn't happen, I'm going to be real disappointed, cuz that's fantastic.

For fuck's sake, Hasbro. Stop funding and then killing mobile games and greenlight Transformers Devastation 2 already.

I shouldn't let myself get fooled into the hype train again after CoC's business model turned me off, but I can't help but get excited at the prospect of a Transformers fighting game.

As a huge, huge Transformers fan and collector, I have little excitement for this considering how the previous mobile TF games went. TF Battle Tactics, a neat little game with some interesting mechanics, was power creeped to hell and back to force people to buy and grind their asses out (and no, I'm not referring to the usual F2P grind, this was some next level stuff), then pulled the plug on it when absolutely everyone fled the game in disgust. Enter TF Earth Wars, again with interesting mechanics, and leave it to rot with barely zero content and ridiculous grinds to get one the one new character per several months they release.

Really, it's downright criminal how these games, by themselves pretty interesting for mobile games, are strangled to death by their ridiculously greedy business model. I can't understand what's going on on executives' heads, and how they fail to realize a more generous model is what leads people to keep playing your game (see FF Exvius and pretty much every successful mobile game ever). I can just picture the games' devs crying themselves to sleep at night.

His victory pose is pulling out a signed picture of Megatron, giggling and blushing.

Oh fuck, I just realized Tarn is Kylo Ren, masked fanboy and all.

Memory

What is a mobile fighting game? I played that MK game for the skins and all I done was hit the screen in different places, no skill and no sense of satisfaction at all.

Any chance we will see a tweaked version for switch?
I love Transformers and fighting games but mobile controls and pricing models are a big no no for me.

Tizoc

For fuck's sake, Hasbro. Stop funding and then killing mobile games and greenlight Transformers Devastation 2 already.

As a huge, huge Transformers fan and collector, I have little excitement for this considering how the previous mobile TF games went. TF Battle Tactics, a neat little game with some interesting mechanics, was power creeped to hell and back to force people to buy and grind their asses out (and no, I'm not referring to the usual F2P grind, this was some next level stuff), then pulled the plug on it when absolutely everyone fled the game in disgust. Enter TF Earth Wars, again with interesting mechanics, and leave it to rot with barely zero content and ridiculous grinds to get one the one new character per several months they release.

Really, it's downright criminal how these games, by themselves pretty interesting for mobile games, are strangled to death by their ridiculously greedy business model. I can't understand what's going on on executives' heads, and how they fail to realize a more generous model is what leads people to keep playing your game (see FF Exvius and pretty much every successful mobile game ever). I can just picture the games' devs crying themselves to sleep at night.
They just want quick bucks wetall my man
They after the tidal waves

They just want quick bucks wetall my man
They after the tidal waves

Hahah, high five for Sins of the Wreckers reference. :D

You do have a point that Hasbro probably knows their adult fanbase is small but generally wealthy, so exploiting whales might seem like a viable strategy. But one has to wonder how many times even a whale can be burned from spending money in a game, then having it taken out back and shot, over and over. As you say, this reeks of "make money quick to inflate my bottom line, and fuck my successor" executive bullshit.

A mobile fighting game?

It's actually worse. You don't fight another people, you fight another people's teams controlled by the AI. Teams that, indeed, are pay to win.

To be fair, most games have power level brackets ensuring that you don't fight teams much more powerful than your own unless you want. But yeah, don't expect an actual versus experience by any wild stretch of the imagination, this is standard grind / pay to win fare.

RM8

It's actually worse. You don't fight another people, you fight another people's teams controlled by the AI. Teams that, indeed, are pay to win.

To be fair, most games have power level brackets ensuring that you don't fight teams much more powerful than your own unless you want. But yeah, don't expect an actual versus experience by any wild stretch of the imagination, this is standard grind / pay to win fare.
I think they have a semi competent concept for a fighting game on mobile with CoC (as opposed to Injustice, MK, etc.) but sadly these games aren't planned around gameplay, so we'll never see the formula evolve into a good game.

Top Bottom