• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

EDGE: Issue 301 - Nier: Automata

A good month in terms of high review scores, with 3 nines and a few eights. One of the overall highest average scores I can remember in a while - 10 reviews for an average score of 7.8.

Main feature is on Nier: Automata

Cover:

UXIykauh.jpg

Reviews

Dishonored 2 - 9
Watch Dogs 2 - 8
COD: Infinite Warfare - 7
Titanfall 2 - 9
Hitman - 9
Planet Coaster - 8
Lethal VR - 6
Robinson: The Journey - 7
Pokémon Sun and Moon - 8
Owlboy - 7

Features
Machine Learning - How Platinum games is building its biggest game to date in the risky cult-classic sequel, Nier: Automata. This is a 10 page spread on the game

An Audience With... Yu Miyake - The Dragon Quest executive producer on the challenges of exporting a monster RPG success.

Brutal Legend - The story of Speedball 2, the future-sport classic forged in the fires of Britsoft's 16-bit glory days.

Collected Works - From Fire Pro Wrestling, to Let It Die, Goichi Suda surveys a career full of audacious ideas.

The Making Of... - Proteus

Studio Profile - Rebellion

Time Extend - The Witcher 3: Wild Hunt

Previews

Resident Evil 7: Biohazard
Lost Ember
Get Even
Nioh
Polybius
Battlerite

Aizo

Banned
Sounds like a lot of information on NieR. I'm so excited for this game. Buying a PS4 very soon.

N° 2048

Watch Dogs 2 - 8

I am so happy this game is doing well. GOTY for me. Ubisoft Montreal has something amazing here.

Those scores. That's not the Edge I know.

Looks about right to me.

They give good games good scores and games that people want to be good but actually aren't, average to poor scores. I see nothing in this issue that doesn't fit in with that premise.

Yep.

Gist of the Nier article from a "is it any good" standpoint seems to be that the only thing that was wrong with the original was what happened during battles and that Platinum has fixed this with the slick, immediate and immeasurably satisfying combat that has become their calling card.

Also sounds like you can play the entire game with the camera zoomed out or zoomed right in to first person.

Kinyou

Gist of the Nier article from a "is it any good" standpoint seems to be that the only thing that was wrong with the original was what happened during battles and that Platinum has fixed this with the slick, immediate and immeasurably satisfying combat that has become their calling card.

Also sounds like you can play the entire game with the camera zoomed out or zoomed right in to first person.
Wait, what? Not sure how a fighting system like that would work in first person.

Zia

ArnoldSchwarzeneggerWrong.gif

Edge is often harsh on old school platformers for reasons I don't always agree with (typically the reviewer is just not very good at them).

Best cover in a long time. Beautiful. And awesome reevaluation of Hitman. That and Doom were my biggest surprises in years.

Good to see Dishonored 2 getting a 9. It deserves more sales given what we know so far.

And I'm interested to see more of Nier: Automata. The combat looks like a lot of fun.

Edge is often harsh on old school platformers for reasons I don't always agree with (typically the reviewer is just not very good at them).

Best cover in a long time. Beautiful. And awesome reevaluation of Hitman. That and Doom were my biggest surprises in years.

Main gripes with Owlboy seem to be the occasionally clunky controls, and miserly spacing of checkpoints. Overall tone of the review is positive however.

This is like the best issue of Edge in a long time contents wise. Does anyone know if the Nier Automata piece is spoiler free for the first game? I haven't finished it yet and didn't want to walk into something major.

Was listening to the Checkpoints podcast which had Mr. Biffo of digitiser fame on. There was a brief mention that Tony Mott the current Edge editor actually wrote the follow up GameCentral. Someone might enjoy that.

This is like the best issue of Edge in a long time contents wise. Does anyone know if the Nier Automata piece is spoiler free for the first game? I haven't finished it yet and didn't want to walk into something major.

Was listening to the Checkpoints podcast which had Mr. Biffo of digitiser fame on. There was a brief mention that Tony Mott the current Edge editor actually wrote the follow up GameCentral. Someone might enjoy that.

I don't see any spoilers for the first game, plot wise.

Those scores confuse the fuck out of me. They're not bad, but they're off by a little in such random directions that I'm just sorta scratching my head.

Those scores confuse the fuck out of me. They're not bad, but they're off by a little in such random directions that I'm just sorta scratching my head.

So what you're saying is, EDGE thought some games were a little bit better than you did, and thought others were a little bit worse?

So what you're saying is, EDGE thought some games were a little bit better than you did, and thought others were a little bit worse?

If you want to reduce it to that, sure, but it's more of a thing where two reviews will give generally the same flaws in a game (repetition of a franchise, not enough different, lack of difficulty or somesuch comparison point) and then score them with a pretty big difference.

I dunno, I don't put much stock or pay attention to review numbers that much and I certainly don't care about what score a game I enjoy gets as I play plenty of 5s and 6s, it just seemed weird to me that when you judged two games as having the same issues one scored significantly better than the other.

Maybe it's more of a numbers always seem weird when you read the actual meat of a review like when it reads of mostly complaints and gets a 9. Your brain just kinda gets confused for a second.

They're certainly allowed to number whatever they want and think that the same flaws detracted from one game more than it did from the other but it just confused me for a second.

Top Bottom