• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Vivendi now owns 25.15% of Ubisoft (nearing 30% hostile takeover point)

Welp.

French media conglomerate Vivendi has upped its stake in Ubisoft yet again, and now owns 25.15 percent of the company and 22.92 percent of its voting rights.

Vivendi has been circling the Assassin's Creed developer since October 2015, and earlier this year completed the hostile takeover of mobile game studio, Gameloft.

If the media group manages to acquire a 30 percent stake in the studio, it'll be forced by French law to table a mandatory takeover bid and pursue a controlling stake.

It's a worrying development for Ubisoft founders the Guillemot family, who've repeatedly expressed their desire to retain control of the studio.

"I love video games because the real innovation and magic comes when our teams and players are free to create. Free to innovate. Free to express themselves. Free to take risks and have fun," said Ubisoft CEO Yves Guillemot earlier this year.

"That's what got us here today, and that's what will drive us for another thirty years and beyond. When you are free, there is no failure. There is only forward."

It was a statement of defiance from the Ubisoft chief, who's been making increasingly public rallying cries as the threat of a hostile takeover becomes all the more real.

Patryn

I believe Vivendi not proposing an alternative slate of directors during the recent board elections was interpreted as a clear sign that they were going to attempt a hostile takeover.

This is just another step on that path. I expect we will continue getting stories like this until they hit 30 percent, at which point they'll make the final acquisition.

Dunkley

How much is that up from the last time we heard from it?

Vivendi said they'll keep upping the stake but it would be nice to know at which speed that happens or at least can happen since Ubisoft was already preparing for a hostile takeover a bit ago.

Or in short, how much time does Ubisoft have left until they'll have to table the bid?

Roo

How much is that up from the last time we heard from it?

Vivendi said they'll keep upping the stake but it would be nice to know at which speed that happens or at least can happen since Ubisoft was already preparing for a hostile takeover a bit ago.

Or in short, how much time does Ubisoft have left until they'll have to table the bid?

In September, they were at 23% iirc

edit: yup

http://www.polygon.com/2016/9/28/13092262/ubisoft-hostile-take-over

This is getting nasty.

At this point the dream is dead.

Don't be surprised when Ubisoft is going to fire thousands of employees and close several studios in the next 5 to 10 years.

Studio like Red Lynx, Nadeo and Red Storm Entertainment are particularly in danger in my opinion.

They still need 26% to have any real control

They actually need 5% and will have to make a mandatory takeover bid.

I would not mind seeing Ubisoft under new management. I don't like their current direction at all.

What don't you like about their current direction? Watch Dogs 2 was great, Syndicate was one of their better AC, Rainbow Six Siege is loved by many, they still do smaller unique titles, they do mid sized games like Steep, and they have dope unique games coming up like For Honor. What's not to like honestly?

I would not mind seeing Ubisoft under new management. I don't like their current direction at all.

I don't know, the division has made some great changes, they delayed assassins creed, rainbow six is one of the best competitive shooters on console, i really like what they've been doing.

They're heading in a good direction imo.

I asked this in another thread and maybe nobody knows for sure but... what happens to Uplay games if Vivendi takes over?

They're consistently outputting good to great games with very few delays and making bold changes to their design. I suggest reading their statement on storytelling and narrative and how it will be very different starting with Assassins Creed Empire

They're also launching more new IPs than any other major publisher this gen

I'd hate to see this compromise that vision

It's like they're downloading the company through UPlay.

upo41.gif

theWB27

Sigh...this is so misguided it's not even funny. They do allot more than most other big time pubs while employing a massive amount of people.

Small, mid and AAA titles while constantly introducing new IP's. Even listening to fans and sales and throwing AC back in the cooker for awhile.

I really can't see what's wrong with their direction even if you don't like their games.

Kill3r7

Man this is getting crazy, wonder if Ubisoft has any plans to counter this.

What counter plans? If there was a company out there who thought Ubi would be worth saving they would have moved in. I guess you could argue it might still happen but we are creeping pretty close to the point of no return. Otherwise, Ubi lacks the funds to prevent this from happening. If anything it shows that Vivendi is being cheap and not overvaluing the stock. Otherwise more investors would have sold their shares to Vivendi.

Granjinha

vivendi is gonna fuck up it even more, and honestly? You're alone at that.

Watch Dogs 2 is great. Siege is fucking awesome. They took the feedback and are making The Division better. AC is on a break. They greenlit Beyond Good & Evil 2. And their future line-up looks great, too.

Not really. Ubisoft is already milking its franchises into flavorless drek.

no they aren't. I don't know what alternative universe you live in that they are milking their franchises, but it's not happening.

Mivey

I am not sure how Ubisoft will survive being taken over by a giant corporation, forcing them to focus on profits, outsourcing everything and putting out yearly sequels. I guess a lot of their employees will be quite alienated.

gnexus

All we need is Trump to tweet something negative about Vivendi in the middle of the night, and this all goes away

EDarkness

It's crazy that Vivendi is so hellbent on getting Ubisoft. I'm still trying to figure out what they have to gain by doing so?

Top Bottom