• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sega wanted to bring Puyo Puyo Tetris overseas

From a recent Red Bull interview:
Later, we received a considerable amount of demand asking, "Give us an English version!" from overseas hardcore puzzle game fans. Not only did we hear from western countries like U.S. and France, we also got requests from Brazil, Korea, and so on. One of our goals was to spread the Puyo Puyo scene worldwide with a dream match versus Tetris, so in that regard, the reaction we got was really great.

"Puyo Puyo itself is a hard sell, so will you help me, Tetris and its fans?" ...was part of our motives, honestly speaking. (laughs)
http://puyonexus.com/forum/viewtopic.php?f=12&t=3203

As a side note, over the past month or so Puyo Puyo Tetris has been announced for release in Taiwan and South Korea.

bonus tidbits from the interview
Yes... It's problematic when it comes to how much they will spend to play. Puzzle games are now generally expected to be free-to-play or are single-purchase, so the forms of entertainment must be devised so that it's economically viable. Of course, the "Puyo Puyo" franchise has the distinct advantage that it has many fans for its unique characters, but creating characters costs time and money, frankly speaking. Our attempts to work something out while being free-to-play are "Puyo Puyo!! Quest" and "Puyo Puyo!! Quest Arcade", which fortunately turned out well.

What most astonished me recently is the rise of the young hybrids who can play both Puyo Puyo and Tetris, like a new breed of human. The other day a certain TV show had "Puyo Puyo Tetris" matches, and this young person who had participated in prior shows and events had since made incredible progress. The capability for young people to improve is quite amazing.

Skyzard

Banned
I dunno if it would be a big hit but it's the only imported game I've bought in over a decade. Though I was in Japan at the time. Grabbed it for my Vita and got the Vita slim from there too.

Love the "Sega" voice line when it loads up. It has infinite rotation on the Tetris games though. Forgot if there was a way to turn it off - but then I think it gets pretty unforgiving.

Tetris ultimate is a little better I think for just tetris of course, but it's pretty boring looking.

bigkrev

I was under the assumption that the reason this never came out was because EA and Ubisoft have the Tetris License right now

"Our fans wanted to give us money for this game, we wanted to sell this game, but then we sadly realised that we don't actually release our own games in the West any more."

Xater

Why can't it happen? Is it because of the Ubisoft Tetris game or something

Thar's what I would put my money on.

The game is fantastic. A great Puyo Puyo and Tetris game. A shame it isn't out int he west. I'd buy it a second time just to have it localized.

Eolz

So basically they wanted to but didn't care enough to strike a deal with Tetris for that, and let Ubisoft make their bad game here instead?
What a shame.

This interview doesn't go into that, but the assumption is due to licensing restrictions involving Tetris, since The Tetris Company has licensed it to different companies in different countries.

I find the recent announcements of Traditional Chinese / Korean localizations interesting, but I'm not sure if Ubisoft ever had an exclusive license for Tetris in those countries.

If Sega can't secure the license to release PPT themselves, I wonder if it would be possible to strike up a deal with Ubisoft? Would they even want that to happen?

Imported it, haven't regretted it for a second. Best Tetris if you're not behind a nostalgia-wall.

Edit: They should just make a deal with Ubisoft or whoever and give them a percentage of the sales. Nobody is buying their tetris game anymore anyway, not after it was PS+. It's not "supporting the competition", it's making a ton of money with zero effort.

LewieP

"We wanted to but despite publishing video games being literally our primary reason for existing, we are incompetent at publishing video games.

Shizuka

Count me in as a brazilian request for this little baby
just picture the Vita label instead
:

711CHJ5S4lL._SL1366_.jpg

Miletius

Yeah, totally imported the shit out of this game. I knew that it would never be brought to the US, so I just went ahead and bought it hassle free from Japan.

Fugu

As a fan of TGM I can definitely attest to how much of a factor that The Tetris Company can be in getting a Tetris game released.

Imported it, haven't regretted it for second. Best Tetris if you're not behind a nostalgia-wall.

Edit: They should just make a deal with Ubisoft or whoever and give them a percentage of the sales. Nobody is buying their tetris game anymore anyway, not after it was PS+. It's not "supporting the competition", it's making a ton of money with zero effort.
There are still plenty of reasons to play other Tetris games. Guideline games are a limited subset of the Tetris ruleset.

Zubz

Banned
Damnit... I mean, it's not explicitly stated, but we all know what happened: Ubisoft's Tetris deal strikes again.

S2

Imported it, haven't regretted it for a second. Best Tetris if you're not behind a nostalgia-wall.

Nostalgia? It's got a good remix of korobeiniki and even a remix of SEGA's arcade Tetris theme from 1988.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=4DJzm9cFGkg
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bp1z9duoSXI

Puyo Puyo Tetris and the Red Bull 5G have actually brought Puyo and Tetris players closer together in Japan. Some of the top players from both scenes are now buddies, and the producer of Puyo Puyo in Japan knows them all on a personal basis too.

convo

We should be getting it with Yakuza 6 in 2 years like with VF5FS. It wouldn't surprise me if they got the licensing figured out by then.

Tizoc

Put this up on Steam and consoles and I'll get it day 1.
Completely forgot that Ubi held the Tetris license (do they still?)

Zonic

Gives all the fucks
Feels like it's too late at this point, seems like everyone who wanted it already just decided to import it. Hell, I gave in & imported the Vita version to have it on the go, & I tend to be patient on waiting to see if a game gets localized in this era.

I was under the assumption that the reason this never came out was because EA and Ubisoft have the Tetris License right now
That was my logic as well. "Don't release too many Tetris games at once or else you'll confuse the consumers" or something.

Danny Dudekisser

I paid good money for this Dynex!
Yeah, shame it never came west, as it's an excellent game. But hey -- importing it could scarcely be any easier.

I think this title definitely would've been a good look for the franchise and perform well all things considered, and possibly have helped Puyo Puyo Chronicle's chances as well.

Fancolors

So we lost our opportunity to have Puyo Puyo Tetris because of Ubisoft's shitty version?

This is depressing. I would buy it day one, but at this point it's too late for a release.

It's a shame.

Every Neogaf user with a 3DS should buy Sega's 3D Classics, by the way. Let's support this amazing series so it can thrive on Switch as well!

Top Bottom