• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

DC Announces Hanna-Barbera Crossover Annuals with DCU Heroes

Status
Not open for further replies.

Penguin

I have no idea what they are on over there at DC, but I'll take it if it gives us crossovers like Banana Splits and the Suicide Squad!

SSBS_cover_final1.jpg

SUICIDE SQUAD/BANANA SPLITS ANNUAL #1
Written by Tony Bedard
Art by Ben Caldwell

Backup Feature: SNAGGLEPUSS
Written by Mark Russell
Art by Dale Eaglesham

“Suicide Splits” pairs up Saturday morning’s animal rock band with Amanda Waller’s Task Force X, the dirtiest players in the game! Mistaken for metahumans and thrown into the bowels of Belle Reve Penitentiary, the Banana Splits are recruited by Amanda Waller for a secret mission: Save the Suicide Squad! What follows is quite possibly the weirdest team up ever; how will Fleegle, Bingo, Drooper and Snorky stand up to Harley, Deadshot, Katana and Killer Croc?

Mark Russell brings his hilariously satirical style to this backup feature, where Snagglepuss is a Southern gothic playwright working with an ensemble cast of cultural figures, exploring an intensely creative time in the New York City theater scene of the 1950’s.

More at the link including Green Lantern/space Ghost and Booster Gold/The Flintstones

http://www.comicosity.com/dc-announces-hanna-barbera-crossover-annuals-with-dcu-heroes/

DeathyBoy

Banned
Okay, now The Flinstones is DC canon in my head which means there's a chance for a Vandal Savage story arc where he challenges Fred to a bowling match for the fate of Bedrock

Ross61

All of these are great. Mark Russell writing Booster Gold and Snagglepuss? Dan Didio Top Cat? Yes please.

And I don't know what we did to deserve a Green Lantern/ Space Ghost crossover written by James Tynion IV and Chris Sebela and drawn by Ariel Olivetti but we gotta keep doing it. Whatever it is.

ezekial45

Banned
Just want to jump in and say that Future Quest is awesome. DC's Hannah Barbara comics are way better than I thought it would be.

This looks cool, too.

Penguin

Just want to jump in and say that Future Quest is awesome. DC's Hannah Barbara comics are way better than I thought it would be.

This looks cool, too.

Wasn't keen on Wacky Racelands and Scooby, have those improved?

Flintstones and Future Quest are aces though

Matty77

I was literally saying yesterday to my mother and niece while discussing Hanna Barbera cartoons that I miss snagglepuss.

This is too awesome.

Booster Gold/Flintstones is gonna be amazing

It may be hard to believe, but Flintstones is easily one of the best comics on shelves right now

Grizzlyjin

Supersonic, idiotic, disconnecting, not respecting, who would really ever wanna go and top that
I'm...very okay with? Sounds ridiculous but then you see Space Ghost/Green Lantern and that makes sense. Booster Gold/Flintstones, again I can get down with that.

Slayven

Man I miss when DC gave a shit about Annuals.

Legends of Dead Earth
DC One Million
Underworld Unleashed
Justice League World

Where do people actually buy comics?
Is it basically digital content online?

Some people still buy single issues in comic book stores like actual cavemen. Other folks buy collections, usually online because you get steep discounts at places like instocktrades and amazon. Finally some of us do buy digitally, usually from comixology.com which has most everything available (including tons of older material) and almost always has some great sales going on. They are constantly adding back issues and all the new weekly issues are available Wednesday morning. It's rad.

Marvel also offers a subscription service, Marvel Unlimited, which has all their books except the newest issues from the last six months. As soon as books leave that window they show up on the service. But try it before you sign up for a subscription, if you're interested, as the reader is not as good as comixology's.

I don't recommend digital comics unless you have a reasonably good tablet - reasonably good size and a high quality, bright screen. Though, my wife always reads comics on her phone (made possible by comixology's wonderful guided view display option).

Shaanyboi

Banned
This sounds like a dumb thing I can get totally into.

Where do people actually buy comics?
Is it basically digital content online?
I buy digitally on Comixology.

Unless you have a comic store near you. Some large book stores like Chapters etc. will also sell collections.

Snagglepuss's book is spinning out of this.

RUSSELL: Other than that unforeseen cancellation, working with them has been really great — and I don’t know if you’ve heard, but I’m also writing a Snagglepuss comic for them.

HILOBROW: Oh. My. God. No, I had not.

RUSSELL: It’s Snagglepuss sort of reinvented as a gay Southern Gothic playwright?

HILOBROW: [Laughs] He is, he is!!

RUSSELL: Yeah, it was not much of a stretch at all. I envision him like a tragic Tennessee Williams figure; Huckleberry Hound is sort of a William Faulkner guy, they’re in New York in the 1950s, Marlon Brando shows up, Dorothy Parker, these socialites of New York from that era come and go. I’m looking forward to it; that’s what I’ll do after The Flintstones. [Russell’s contract in the gravel pit is for 12 issues.] I’ll go right from that into Snagglepuss.

HILOBROW: I’ve long admired the affirmative gayness of Snagglepuss.

RUSSELL: Yeah, it’s never discussed and it’s obviously ignored in the cartoons ’cuz they were made at a time when you couldn’t even acknowledge the existence of such a thing, but it’s still so obvious; so it’s natural to present it in a context where everybody knows, but it’s still closeted. And dealing with the cultural scene of the 1950s, especially on Broadway, where everybody’s gay, or is working with someone who’s gay, but nobody can talk about it — and what it’s like to have to try to create culture out of silence.

HILOBROW: Amazing. So this has been publicly announced?

RUSSELL: Yes, in fact, an eight-page sampler comes out in March in the Suicide Squad/Banana Splits Annual [laughs] — it’s about Snagglepuss being dragged in front of the House Committee on Un-American Activities! Then the series will begin in September or October I think.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom