• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TIP: Family Share your Super Mario Run purchase on your iPhone/iPad

Gabe3208

Banned
***EDIT***
This isn't true family sharing as others have pointed out, but some people may not be aware that they can do this so the info is still worth sharing.

Our family uses the family share functionality on our iPhone(s)/iPad(s) for all of our movies, books, apps, music, etc... So it was a surprise when I saw that Super Mario Run showed the "Family Sharing: Yes" message on the app's info page in the App Store. However, since the purchase of the game comes in the form of an in-app purchase, it kind of doesn't apply. So here's a quick work around to share the app with your husband/wife/kids if you've purchased it already.

1. First, purchase the game on your device.
2. Then on the iPhone/iPad you want to share the in-app purchase with, go to settings and log out of the app store.
3. Log back into the App Store with the same account that made the in-app purchase. SUPER IMPORTANT: If you don't don this, you will be charged $9.99 again.
3. Open the Super Mario Run app, and try to purchase the game again. You will get a pop-up asking if you're sure you want to buy, hit yes, and then another pop-up will appear saying you can download again for free since you've already purchased it.

And that's it! Remember to sign back out of the App Store and have the person sign back in with their login. We've been playing against each other with no issues either, so it's been working perfectly fine. The only bad thing is that if one of your family members ever deletes the app from their device, in order to restore the purchase you would have to follow the above steps again. But so as long as they don't delete it, it'll work just fine.

Allforce

Can you play this on an iPad 3? I've never bought anything off the App Store before. My wife has a iPhone 7 though so if she purchased it I would like to try this out on my iPad.

Can you play this on an iPad 3? I've never bought anything off the App Store before. My wife has a iPhone 7 though so if she purchased it I would like to try this out on my iPad.

iPad 3rd gen? (first retina one?)
Sadly no. At least it said so when I wanted to preregister a few weeks ago

EDIT: Okay, it does indeed work!

L~A

Yeah, 3rd Gen I suppose. That sucks but the guy above says a iPad 2 works so maybe if there's a demo I'll give it a shot.

There's no "demo". Technically, the game itself is the demo. You can download it for free, you have access to a few levels (1 to 3, and 20s of 4), and hten you have to purchase the rest. So if you just want to see if your device can run it, go ahead and download it.

Yeah, 3rd Gen I suppose. That sucks but the guy above says a iPad 2 works so maybe if there's a demo I'll give it a shot.

In the other thread I left my feedback about the 3rd gen ipad, it plays at an unstable 30-ish, playable but with a few stutters. I turned visuals to low and kept rendering on high (low render tries to run at 30fps but its just worse overall)

There's no "demo". Technically, the game itself is the demo. You can download it for free, you have access to a few levels (1 to 3, and 20s of 4), and hten you have to purchase the rest. So if you just want to see if your device can run it, go ahead and download it.

you can also start toad rallys and the kingdom maker stuff, but you're limited to only red toads until you clear the first castle.

Gabe3208

Banned
oh nice!! id love for my wife to play without repurchasing this

Yea, my wife didn't want me to spend the $9.99 on it initially, but I told her she can think of this as us paying $4.99 each since we can both now play it against each other and other friend/relatives with our own MyNintendo accounts linked.

Top Bottom