• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

UE4 graphics setting presets for the Switch found on GitHub

Hermii

Courtesy of poster M3d10n:

I decided to look at the file in the master branch and... Wolf, WolfSea and WolfAir all got renamed to Switch, SwitchConsole and SwitchHandheld, respectively! My hunch was right, LOL!

Here are the settings:

Code:
[Switch DeviceProfile]
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=2
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=2
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=2
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=2
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=2
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=2
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=100

[SwitchConsole DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch

[SwitchHandheld DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=1
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=1
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=1
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=1
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=1
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=1
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=66

Now, detailing those settings would take a while (the "sg" settings are actually triggers for scalability setting groups specified in BaseScalability.ini, which you can read here: http://pastebin.com/Vh25Lpzm).

Anyway, the SwitchConsole settings are a notch lower than the UE4 defaults used on PC, PS4 and XB1. They probably serve as a good starting point to get a PS4/XB1 UE4 game to run acceptably on the Switch.

Downclock a Tegra X1 if old.

M3d10n

It all started here: http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=226968184&postcount=6143

Some posters found this thread worthy, so here it goes:

I decided to look at the file in the master branch and... Wolf, WolfSea and WolfAir all got renamed to Switch, SwitchConsole and SwitchHandheld, respectively! My hunch was right, LOL!

Here are the settings:

Code:
[Switch DeviceProfile]
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=2
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=2
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=2
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=2
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=2
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=2
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=100

[SwitchConsole DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch

[SwitchHandheld DeviceProfile]
DeviceType=Switch
BaseProfileName=Switch
+CVars=sg.ViewDistanceQuality=1
+CVars=sg.AntiAliasingQuality=1
+CVars=sg.ShadowQuality=1
+CVars=sg.PostProcessQuality=1
+CVars=sg.TextureQuality=1
+CVars=sg.EffectsQuality=1
+CVars=r.ScreenPercentage=66

Now, detailing those settings would take a while (the "sg" settings are actually triggers for scalability setting groups specified in BaseScalability.ini, which you can read here: http://pastebin.com/Vh25Lpzm).

Anyway, the SwitchConsole settings are a notch lower than the UE4 defaults used on PC, PS4 and XB1. They probably serve as a good starting point to get a PS4/XB1 UE4 game to run acceptably on the Switch.

The ScreenPercentage setting of 66% aligns exactly with 1080p docked and 720p in handheld mode, but reducing other settings is necessary to account for the clock speed changes, quoting myself from another thread:

You have to remember that modern games do a lot more rendering other than simply plotting pixels to the framebuffer. So a GPU clock reduction along with a small RAM clock reduction would require all GPU processing to be scaled down proportionally, simply reducing the resolution wouldn't account for everything. So reducing buffer sizes for shadow and post processing buffers, as well as bringing LOD transitions a bit closer (reduces number of vertices being processed), is necessary as well.

LordRaptor

Worth reposting:
Looking at them, I can tell a few things already:

- The Switch seems to be using the full blown UE4 deferred renderer path, not the "mobile" renderer
- UE4 defaults to use "faster FXAA" in handheld and "FXAA" in console mode.

BY2K

Membero Americo
So everything gets scaled down a notch in Handheld Mode?

I'm guessing it's not that simple?

screen percentage is upscaling FYI

so it wont render native in handheld mode but will in docked

EDIT:

if you presume the docked is 1080p then 66% is somewhere between 720p and 1600×900 pixel wise, so safe to bet 720p

so seems like THEORETICALLY it would be 1080p on tv, 720p on handheld like leaks suggest

Basically, it means Nintendo is going out of business.

I had to laugh at this. lol.

In regards to OP, I think this makes a lot of sense, and I really doubted the only real difference in Switch performance between docked and un-docked was merely the output resolution to the monitor.

I think this will be touched on in January with the full reveal. Nintendo will likely do a good job of showing people exactly what's going on visually between docked and un-docked, in order to assuage skeptical people about it being a true home console replacement, in addition to a completely next-gen handheld.

LordRaptor

I'll admit to KingSnake that I was wrong that devs wouldn't be able to target a 720p baseline then let the engine scale it down to 540p, because it looks like UE4 will let you do exactly that

So handheld at "1" is basically lowest settings possible. Games can look even uglier in mobile.

0 is the lowest setting, and the Switch is seemingly using the 'full fat' deferred renderer, not the mobile renderer in UE4.

M3d10n

screen percentage is upscaling FYI

so it wont render native in handheld mode but will in docked

EDIT:

if you presume the docked is 1080p then 66% is somewhere between 720p and 1600×900 pixel wise, so safe to bet 720p

so seems like THEORETICALLY it would be 1080p on tv, 720p on handheld like leaks suggest

The screen percentage in UE4 is applied to both width and height. So 66% of 1920x1080 would mean 1280x720.

What *is* curious about the screen percentage is that it wouldn't be necessary if the system actually forced a resolution change when switching between docked and undocked mode, but the fact it's there means the game is merely notified of the change and has freedom to decide what to do, instead of going through a device destruction-recreation process like what happens when you rotate an iOS or Android device, for example.

tebunker

Banned
So lowest settings in handheld mode + 66% of resolution.

Source: I've used UE4's scalability settings.

Which I think is aligned with what most folks were thinking?

I know some expected a UE4 mobile engine support or something else, but having full UE4 is great and the fact that is can scale to the portable mode is awesome too.

I know these are just baselines for devs and they would make optimizations, but it is still mighty impressive.

Imagine if battery tech was good enough to give power to support full UE4 in portable mode for 5+ hours

I think this will be touched on in January with the full reveal. Nintendo will likely do a good job of showing people exactly what's going on visually between docked and un-docked, in order to assuage skeptical people about it being a true home console replacement, in addition to a completely next-gen handheld.

I actually think they'll avoid talking about the differences at all, except to say that the performance of games will be good in both modes and battery life will be strong undocked. All people will get out of them explaining the scaling is, "What? My games will look worse on the go? Preorder cancelled!"

Sounds like ps4/xbone -> switch ports will be pretty doable then (in docked mode)?

So I guess it's just down to whether the publisher thinks it'll make a profit.

GAMETA

Banned
It's not like you can press a PORT TO button and have games running on other platforms.

Presets mean nothing depending on the product.

Hopefully it means the NS will be abble to run stuff if the dev cares to try.

The Switch is going to be lovely!

I was disappointed in the Handheld clocks but it's not that big of a deal since it'll be running at 720p or a bit under.

I remember I would dream about having the power of the original Xbox in my pocket, this thing is like having the power of the Wii U in my pocket, it'll probably even be a bit more thanks to the CPU, Ram and different GPU architecture! Truly game-changing!

Which I think is aligned with what most folks were thinking?

I know some expected a UE4 mobile engine support or something else, but having full UE4 is great and the fact that is can scale to the portable mode is awesome too.

I know these are just baselines for devs and they would make optimizations, but it is still mighty impressive.

Imagine if battery tech was good enough to give power to support full UE4 in portable mode for 5+ hours

Oh, yes, I'm not saying it's bad or good or anything, just interpreting the numbers. Having full UE4 in a handheld sure is great.

Calm Mind

Nobody asked you to dumb down yourself, just the topic.

7niEvjt.gif

LordRaptor

Misleading af.

It's not like you can press a PORT TO button and have games running on other platforms.

Well, it means if someone is making a game specifically for the switch, and they are targetting a nice looking native resolution 720, they get a 'free' 1080p render upscale, and also some slightly nicer image quality for 'TV mode'.

Misleading af.

I'm pretty sure everyone understands that. This is GAF, not a Facebook comment section.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
I'll admit to KingSnake that I was wrong that devs wouldn't be able to target a 720p baseline then let the engine scale it down to 540p, because it looks like UE4 will let you do exactly that.

Hehe.

But it's even more than that, seems a combination of downscaling and graphic attributes cut down. On decreasing the resolution doesn't seem to cover for the gap between console and handheld. Which is a bit strange under the scenario presented by DF which made it look like the having 1080p docked and 720p on handheld is "free".

Interfectum

Misleading af.

Who is saying this?

The presets simply give us a good idea for a Switch baseline and what to possibly expect vs. current gen consoles.

It looks like they've just put some dummy settings there, and that these wouldn't be final. The first step towards working with a new port is filling out details like these so that the project builds on a new platform.

I'm guessing the final settings wouldn't be so clean, eg. low or medium settings all the way down.

Who is saying this?

The presets simply give us a good idea for a Switch baseline and what to possibly expect vs. current gen consoles.

They tell us literally nothing because we don't know the context. Was it just somebody who saw the rumors for the Switch and decided to get the code base ready? Was it just arbitrary typing in of values? Both of those are exceedingly common in code bases.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Basically graphics settings themselves will scale down to match the portable mode, not just resolution.

That seems very hard to do though, its almost like making two SKU's with completely different configurations and then having to switch between them instead of just making a resolution switch like PS4 and Pro.

That could be an obstacle getting down and dirty with the hardware, but having to account for handheld mode will have done that by default i suppose.

Considering the agressive nature of their clock speeds, i guess they do this specifically because they can't control the state of the game without massive cutbacks like this

I've spent a lot of time in Unreal 4, especially messing around with quality settings.

I'm really hoping that change in quality isn't as big a change as I think it would be D:

M3d10n

Hehe.

But it's even more than that, seems a combination of downscaling and graphic attributes cut down. On decreasing the resolution doesn't seem to cover for the gap between console and handheld. Which is a bit strange under the scenario presented by DF which made it look like the having 1080p docked and 720p on handheld is "free".

Quoting myself:
You have to remember that modern games do a lot more rendering other than simply plotting pixels to the framebuffer. So a GPU clock reduction along with a small RAM clock reduction would require all GPU processing to be scaled down proportionally, simply reducing the resolution wouldn't account for everything. So reducing buffer sizes for shadow and post processing buffers, as well as bringing LOD transitions a bit closer (reduces number of vertices being processed), is necessary as well.

Unless the game is 2D with zero post process effects, GPU performance is used for things other than writing pixels to the screen.

Op implies that it's just a matter of downscaling quality to fit the NS and voila. It's not.

But I guess you're right, misleading was a bad choice of word :)

Changing quality settings worked for me when getting our UE4 prototype to run on Intel HD graphics in a pinch. You'd be surprised how much performance goes into effects and stuff.

gogojira

Misleading af.

It's actually numbers representing a thing. How the hell can it be misleading? The OP isn't suggesting easy or meaningful ports are coming to Switch. That's another debate entirely.

Top Bottom