• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is The Division: Survival DLC, the best 'Survival' game right now?

Kalentan

So the Survival DLC finally hit the PS4 version and I've been having a blast. Thus far I've kept to PvE but will probably try PvP once I feel more comfortable in the mode. Yet at this point I think the DLC is quite amazing.

For those who don't know, it spawns you in a random safe house somewhere on the map in the middle of a blizzard with none of your main game gear, no skills, and just a pistol. You have to ensure that your hunger, thirst, and heat stay all at a good point. You can and may freeze to death. So you need to craft or find clothing to keep your warmth up. However you're also infected and thus you have a 1 hour time limit on your life that you can slow down with medicines and pain relievers. So your goal is to reach the Dark Zone (after building a breathing mask), get the antivirus and then extract (and you can find cool loot in the dark zone to extract.) This is all the while having very little medikits to keep your health up as enemies (and players in the case of PvP), are wondering the map and they can and will wreck your shit.

Anyway, while the Survival DLC doesn't have the persistence of other Survival games (H1Z1, DayZ, and all those others in Early Access), as you queue up for matches, it still gives a really great feeling of trying to really survive. Even in PvE, you see the amount of players in the round dropping like flies. In my latest match I'm pretty sure me and two other people out of the 22 at the start were the ONLY ones to actually get to the dark zone and extract.

However unlike all of those other ones, it removes a lot of the jank and unpolish and it just uses The Division which was already decently polished. So it feels like you can actually focus on the game's survival elements rather than fighting the controls and jank a lot of the others have.

Has anyone else tried it thus far? Agree or disagree?

sjay1994

This sounds like what I thought the Division was supposed to be when I saw it revealed at E3 2014, and not a loot RPG

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's the most polished and most intuitive survival experience atm yes.

TheSeks

Blinded by the luminous glory that is David Bowie's physical manifestation.
It's what the Dark Zone should be IMO. PvE allows me to play the game without having to worry about other players dicking me over when I'm attempting to extract items.

I'm having a blast with it though. It really does change up the lootwhore TPSRPG gameplay and has you have to run between warm/safety areas to get gear quickly to survive the dropping temps.

Kalentan

Any uPlay season passes for sale?

On Steam the Season Pass is on sale for $20, the Survival DLC itself is $15.

Sounded good until I read 1h time limit.

It's not really a 1 hour time limit. Medicine and Pain Relievers temporally stop the infection from spreading. In my match I escaped, I still had 20 min left before the infection killed me but it said I was in the match for over an hour.

TheSeks

Sounded good until I read 1h time limit.

It's now 1 hour. You'll be having to drink/eat/slow your infection to increase the timer. You can go past it if you get enough items. Which you should be able to do since the players are mostly spread out it seems.

RazorUK

Pilot, your Titan is ready, prepare for Titanbombs
I was really hoping it was going to be a Day-Z like experience, where you'd create a separate character and it would be persistent.
It would have been one of the first persistent survival experiences to actually be finished and polished. Could have been huge for the game, feel it's a missed opportunity!

Rizific

So is this doable completely in pve? I don't care for the divisions pvp at all, but you mentioned getting to the dz which is the designated pvp area.

Blam

It's now 1 hour. You'll be having to drink/eat/slow your infection to increase the timer. You can go past it if you get enough items. Which you should be able to do since the players are mostly spread out it seems.

I'd like to point out that it can go way past that 1h timer. If you really feel like finishing quickly then yeah 1h is the max.

But personally I've gone to well past a 1h30m match because of the luck I had finding the painkillers/medicine.

TheSeks

So is this doable completely in pve? I don't care for the divisions pvp at all, but you mentioned getting to the dz which is the designated pvp area.

Yes, there's a dedicated PvE. It's what the Dark Zone really should have IMO.

wamberz1

Damn, not gonna lie op you are selling me on this hard. I love survival experiences but hate ones with huge time commitments like day z, rust, ark and minecraft. I enjoyed the hell out of h1z1's battle royale until that community went into the shitter.

KodaRuss

I almost booted it up this afternoon but my kid woke up early so I couldnt. Maybe Ill have time someday.... holidays kill my gaming time.

More family time no time to game.

I thought Underground was utter shit and I have to say, Survival is pretty freaking awesome.

I tried like 6 or 7 times yesterday and didn't make it to the end. Today I managed to complete it on my first run, felt so damn good. The gameplay mechanics are really really good.

I deleted my save/character a long time ago and started over.
Can I play this with a Level 4ish character?
Sounds really good.

Yes you can. Everybody starts Survival with minimal gear/weapons. You have to find materials and craft everything.

ryseing

I deleted my save/character a long time ago and started over.
Can I play this with a Level 4ish character?
Sounds really good.

Yeah, it's a separate thing from the main game.

I wish Destiny had something similar, where they strip the game down to its core and just rely on pure skill. It works very well in The Division.

I'm still waiting for someone to tell me how to access it in-game, haha.

You have to do the Quarantine Zone mission which grants access to the Terminal bit of the Center.

I guess you don't need to do the mission. Never mind.

It's an incredibly smartly made mode that operates on a simple behavior loop. Everyone's on a timer and needs resources -> Resources are in different areas which creates areas of contention naturally -> The Timer forces players to end the game and encounter each other -> Proximity based chat creates pseudo alliances for the unpredictability needed for the mode to survive.

It's basically an all killer no filler multiplayer mode which is really cool.

Gator86

I'd agree with this assertion. It's all the survival stuff people love but in a game that's not early access-tier trash. It's really good.

TheSeks

Base of Operations, behind the wings is the Subway terminal (that also has the Underground DLC). To the right is the Survival area. You matchmake in and try to survive.

Kalentan

Go to the "Hub" area inside the Base of Operations. Same place you go to access The Underground. Then when your in there, find the HVT Officers and then to the left of them you should see the "Survival" thing appear and walk into that room and interact with the door.

I thought Underground was utter shit and I have to say, Survival is pretty freaking awesome.

I tried like 6 or 7 times yesterday and didn't make it to the end. Today I managed to complete it on my first run, felt so damn good. The gameplay mechanics are really really good.

Yes you can. Everybody starts Survival with minimal gear/weapons. You have to find materials and craft everything.

I wish Destiny had something similar, where they strip the game down to its core and just rely on pure skill. It works very well in The Division.

You have to do the Quarantine Zone mission which grants access to the Terminal bit of the Center.

Thanks!
Sounds great. Always liked The Division just got real bored of the grind so I started over. But that got boring too! This sounds like fun. Gonna buy it.

BLCKATK

It's honestly really good. One of my favorite parts of it is the fact that the enemies are as dangerous as players at times. Sometimes you can't just run away, and you need to strategize on how you are gonna fight your way out. Other times you are just THAT strapped for supplies and you NEED to fight it out. That can happen when encountering players or NPCs.

I also love that the objective is to "Get out Alive, with loot in tow" and not "Be in the last one standing." That means even in the PvP mode, you can run into people that do actually want to win instead of killing everything in sight. I had my first PvP game last night, and ran into a firefight with another player fighting NPCs. I helped him kill an enemy, and he turned and pointed his gun at me. I said "Woah, woah hey, you want to win right? You want to extract? Me too. It'll be easier as a team." and invited him to my group. He accepted, and we split resources. In the end, we didn't extract due to the Hunters, but it was still a cool gameplay experience.

Kalentan

I will say. While it does sort of suck that the Survival map isn't unique (it's literally the regular map), but while that is the case. The extreme weather makes it feel so foreign and disorienting and because it uses the regular map, it means it has a huge amount of spots for you to spawn in. Meaning you may have to relearn locations and such. So that's nice.

wamberz1

It's an incredibly smartly made mode that operates on a simple behavior loop. Everyone's on a timer and needs resources -> Resources are in different areas which creates areas of contention naturally -> The Timer forces players to end the game and encounter each other -> Proximity based chat creates pseudo alliances for the unpredictability needed for the mode to survive.

It's basically an all killer no filler multiplayer mode which is really cool.

Oh my god this sounds incredible
and it's half off on steam...
fffffffff im pulling the trigger

IMACOMPUTA

I guess you don't need to do the mission. Never mind.

I thought I read that you have to be level 30 to do survival. Is that not true?

The RPG gunplay turned me away from The Division, but this idea sounds like what it should've been from the jump, or at least closer to the direction they should've pushed. The map is great and the weather system is capable of some really atmospheric effects, but none of it felt put to good use initially.

Diseased Yak

Gold Member
I picked up The Division for PS4 on sale a week or so back, but haven't spent much time with it. This sounds amazing, though, I believe I'll snag it!

Oh my god this sounds incredible
and it's half off on steam...
fffffffff im pulling the trigger

Best part is that there's enough wrenches and variables to keep things interesting like the Hunters.

It feels like this is the game the Division should have been, everyone's trying to survive not kill everyone else and it's the situation that naturally forces them to do...unsettling things. It's quite polished which makes it easier to appreciate this development all the more.

The way that everyone starts evenly is also great. Goes to show how you don't need a progression tread to make something genuinely interesting for a multiplayer mode.

Sidon

Yes, it's certainly the most polished survival experience. It's tons better than the half-assed buggy alphas you usually see on Steam.

Massive got a lot of flak for The Division, but they've done an admirable job in turning this game around. They're not there yet, but it's coming along. It's been my go-to game of 2016, in between other releases.

Sounds pretty cool, As a fan of the genre I realize the promise has not been fulfilled from all the Early access game around. Really curious about this.

CSJ

My experience of it was it's the same game that came out on release just now you're temporarily rolling a new character with a time-limit rushed off your tits.

Didn't like it, just my point of view.

CHC

Holy shit thanks for the succinct description in the OP. Haven't played yet but I already own the Division so I'm certainly in.

Sounds amazing and I'm glad it's playable as PVE.

Ricker

I havent played in months(PS4) and didnt get the Season Pass and other DLC but the recent Pro patch and this mode will bring me back in soon... nice to hear its fun.

Kalentan

I havent played in months(PS4) and didnt get the Season Pass and other DLC but the recent Pro patch and this mode will bring me back in soon... nice to hear its fun.

It's not the best Pro patch but it's decent. Though that I mean primarily in resolution (nothing higher than 1080p). It does have the better shadows and such and as far as I know does render the UI in native 4K if you have a 4K TV which is nice.

Zemm

Yeah it looks good, I wish they'd release it as a stand alone though. I played the Division free weekend and it was ok but not something I'd want to pay for, survival on the other hand.

mileS

It's not the best Pro patch but it's decent. Though that I mean primarily in resolution (nothing higher than 1080p). It does have the better shadows and such and as far as I know does render the UI in native 4K if you have a 4K TV which is nice.

4k UI also applies to 1080p screens.

mileS

Oh it does? Nice.

At least it should. It does for Overwatch and the general Playstation UI if you have a 1080p display (most other games I can think of as well, anything that offers a 4k UI usually still has a benefit for all displays). I remember being off put by the Playstation UI the first time I booted my Pro up. Doesn't sound like it would make a difference but everything is cleaner and sharper, even on my 1080p monitor.

Top Bottom