• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

As much as Sony is shit on about PSN, rightifully so. They did get one thing right

Slayven

This year they really stepped their game when it comes to sales. Those flash, weekly, and theme sales be killing it lately. The only thing they can improve on is by putting DLC on sale, and take away that five dollar limit when adding money to the wallet. If I need 80 cents I am not going to add five dollars.

jroc74

Phone reception is more important to me than human rights
This year they really stepped their game when it comes to sales. Those flash, weekly, and theme sales be killing it lately. The only thing they can improve on is by putting DLC on sale, and take away that five dollar limit when adding money to the wallet. If I need 80 cents I am not going to add five dollars.

The theme and weekly sales tho I agree thats a newer wrinkle to their usual sales. I also hate that $5 limit, lol.

Didnt they have Flash sales last gen before PS4 launched? I cant remember now.

OnPoint

I don't know about the best. I love Playstation sales as much as any other Sony gamer/Fanboy, however, I still think Xbox kills it with their sales more than Sony.
Totally subjective but I disagree.

Hopefully both companies can keep the debate going strong though. That we disagree is great, it says both companies are doing great in that area.

Slayven

I wouldn't have touched Titanfall 2 for a long time, but they had a sale that was too hard to pass up on a new game

NewDust

I dunno, aren't sales predominantly offered by publishers? Sony only provides a timeframe and promotion,I think. Or perhaps they have a slightly better deal, for instance wavering a part of the license fees. Xbox on the other hand has EA access.

BennyBlanco

aka IMurRIVAL69
I don't know about the best. I love Playstation sales as much as any other Sony gamer/Fanboy, however, I still think Xbox kills it with their sales more than Sony.

Both MS and Sony learned from Valve that people will impulse buy digital games like crazy that they wouldn't have normally given a look for the right price.

Sadly Nintendo still doesn't get this.

kadotsu

Banned

XBOX sales are complete trash. They are, however, good at providing third parties with codes, which means that pricing as a whole is more competitive.

By far the best digital console sales. They've made it really easy to go digital only.
On the other hand, Nintendo and MS have lagged with no signs of improving.

DLC going on sale I think is a publisher issue though. It's like they forget it exists. The irony being that most people also forget it exists because it's never on sale and that's just money left on the table.
It's a real shame how much full price DLC is in the store that has never gone on sale or how buying a "complete" edition is the only way to get it, even if you already have the game.
Definitely needs to get looked at.

Also, this is always on sale.

8PbkBZm.jpg

Your move, MS/Nintendo.

cchum

There's a 5 dollar minimum on the US psn?

That's pathetic.

Glad there's no such thing on the UK store, just bought an avatar for 39p lol.

Remember something from one of my accounting classes that companies LOSE money due to credit card fees on under 5 bucks. Maybe U.K. is different.

Ridley327

Just to remind everyone out there, even Nintendo doesn't do this.

But yeah, the flash sales have been rather nice.

Slayven

All i know about Xbox sales is that Fallout 3 and New Vegas will always be there. For PSN It's Shadow of Mordor or Diablo 3. You can set your watch to when they go on sale.

The part I love over the other consoles is a functional and useable web store. I can't stand Microsofts. Can't find anything, hide prices and just use % reductions until you click on it, etc.

dex3108

UD was 7,99 and Bloodborne 9,99 ?

Edit: beaten

Hm? They were selling until dawn for $8 a year after it came out.

I never said that they were not on sale but they are rarely on sale. Just look at this holiday sale in US PSN every week they offered only one 1st party game on sale. When was the last time that Infamous SS was on big sale or Tearaway Unfolded. They put them on sale but not as often as 3rd party games.

Yeah I got some of their first party games in 2016 for under $10 digitally, and it's been great. In previous generations I would have had to watch for physical game firesales or wait until the end of the generation.

kraspkibble

Permabanned.
DLC does go on sale though. I just got the Bloodborne DLC for 50% off. There are a lot of other DLC on sale at the moment too.

I can't fault them on sales this year, especially this ongoing January EU/UK Sale. Already bought more than I thought I ever would for digital.

Tagyhag

Some of the flash sales have been really good.

For bigger titles though, it's still cheaper for me to buy used.

PeterGAF

Banned
XBOX sales are complete trash. They are, however, good at providing third parties with codes, which means that pricing as a whole is more competitive.
You're gonna have to elaborate on that one. They seem pretty good to me, and new things are on sale every single week. Xbox's big holiday sales are usually really good too.

MrS

Banned
Waiting for The Witness and Inside to go on sale. Just picked up Hitman and Hatoful Boyfriend.

kanuuna

Going all digital on consoles without breaking the wallet has been the best thing this gen.

New third party releases should be adjusted to 59,99€ price point in EU store (as opposed to 69,99€) with the USD nearly reaching parity with EUR now, though.

BHK3

Banned

I disagree only because xbox games in general are much cheaper than PS4's, you can get physical versions for dirt cheap.

Rymuth

Moreso I love the whole 'buy these 2 games, get a 15% discount down the line' that they usually do for indie games. It's a great way to give indie games more exposure and incentive people trying them out.

Yea, after that theme sales week they had it seemed to get a lot better.

Still slow on buying digital, but I check in every single week.

orochi91

No taxes in Canada is a godsend. We have to pay quite a bit already, and our high taxes don't help
+1

I've made so many purchases on PSN this year, and the lack of taxation here in Canada has made it that much more sweeter.

Hoping they keep having good sales/events from here onwards.

Yeah seriously. I've completely given up adding to my steam backlog and moved over to PSN and the different sales in different regions yield some cool bargains.

Nintendo really need to catch up. Kinda tired seeing 'My RV-7 drone' or whatever it's called constantly on sale. The same 10 shit games on sale.

Melchiah

The sales have been great. I've bought Rise of the Tomb Raider, Abzu, Bound, and Inside for 57€. I'll buy Layers of Fear for 8€ as well, when I get home.

Have to disagree. Y'all must be starved for digital sales because I haven't ever seen a decent sale price when these sales come up.

By far the best digital console sales. They've made it really easy to go digital only.
On the other hand, Nintendo and MS have lagged with no signs of improving.

Correct, although Nintendo continues to lag the most, far behind the other two. But any criticism of Nintendo's [lack of] aggressiveness with digital sales brings out the hardcore defense force: "B-but mah Nintendo gamez hold their value, Nintendo values their IP." GTFO of here with what.

Well done by Sony and the third party publishers, I actually bought more digitally on PS4 this year than I did on Steam.

Top Bottom