• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Hacksaw Ridge is proof that Christian movies don't have to be terrible. (Spoilers)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm not going to get in-depth on this, because I'm sure a lot of people here have seen this and there's no need to summarize anything, but I wound up seeing this the other night and thought the religious element was worth discussing.

---
I guess I’ve attained some notoriety around these parts for watching some Christian movies and subsequently complaining about them. Now, during my whining, I’ve always maintained that I bear no ill will against any religious groups, despite my displeasure with their entertainment. I’ve said before that I don’t have any problems with Christianity extending beyond personal questions and mild frustrations with immediate acquaintances. So, I always thought that one day I would (hopefully) wind up watching a Christian movie that was actually good, which would succeed in areas where so many other films have failed. Lo and behold, this Hacksaw Ridge movie, with it's 87% on RT, was starting to be discussed by church groups and talked about from a Christian perspective. Since I’ve trashed so many pieces of Christian entertainment before, it’s only fair if I gave this one a try and tried to evaluate it.

Now, before we begin an analysis about what this movie does right, there are two matters that must be addressed.

PRwsXFE.jpg

Mel Gibson made this movie. Mel… has problems... of the racist variety. That alone kind of mucks up the argument that this movie can ever achieve any sort of spiritual enlightenment. I’m, of course, not going to defend Mel Gibson as a person. People can do that all they like (actually, I'm a mod, don't do it too much); they can argue that it was the alcohol, that he has mental illness, that he’s changed, or whatever. I don’t know Mel Gibson, I just know what he’s said and how he comes across in interviews, and it isn’t great. But the man is obviously religious, for better or worse, and faith tends to be a focus in his movies.

I guess this has to be one of those “separate the art from the artist” things, which I’ve always felt is kind of a weak sentiment, like ignoring the question to avoid being wrong. But, if I’m going to find a good Christian movie, I’m going to have to make some sort of concession. Let’s just pretend like Mel Gibson doesn’t exist and that this movie appeared magically out of thin air.

"This isn’t a Christian movie."

… How is it not?

“It’s a war movie.”

Sure. And God’s Not Dead is a college film where the fun fraternity all got born-again just before the movie started. And Courageous is police drama. And Fireproof is an experimental abstract film where all the actors were recorded backwards and the footage is played in reverse, thus explaining their stilted performances. The fact of the matter is all of these movies have “plots” but at their core, they’re about spirituality. Even Hacksaw Ridge.

“But that’s different. Besides, this is a biography of a real person.”

Yeah, a Seventh-Day Adventist who swore an oath to God to never pick up a gun or kill a human being. I’m not saying that a non-religious movie cannot have a religious main character, but when that character is so defined by his religious devotion, and the action is driven by that, the movie starts to become a religious film.

This film is so religious that its first half straight up follows the same structure as the God’s Not Dead films.

We have a Christian who is true to his Christian values...
jpVeWLh.png

Which other characters don’t understand...
4AM3TbL.png

Which even leads to physical hostility…
h4JuPJA.png

Eventually the protagonist’s faith is literally put on trial…
8Y3q2fR.png

And of course, their hardships are rewarded when they’re saved in the end by The Newsboys.
NS485Vk.png

Obviously, there are some deviations to the plot, but I think the point is clear: Hacksaw Ridge is an obvious and shameless knock-off of God’s Not Dead.

So, yeah. It’s a Christian movie. Now, let’s examine what actually makes it a good one.

The key flaw in most films put out by Christian studios is the lack of a focused story… No, wait… It’s the bad acting… Or, no, it must be the pandering to the audience. Geez, maybe it’s the incompetent directing. Or is it the unbelievable behavior of all the characters? Ugh… It’s definitely one of those. Hacksaw Ridge manages to offer what these movies are attempting to conjure up without stooping to new lows in order to achieve this.

At their core, all of these films are trying to show a character’s faith being tested and withstanding the intense obstacles put forth. The problem with most Christian movies is that the obstacle is a mean atheist or convincing someone to go to church. In Hacksaw, it’s the fucking Japanese army.

The issue feels sincere. Hacksaw’s heroic Desmond must stick to his values while facing not only his own violent death, but the deaths of his fellow soldiers, the agony of his wife and parents, and the ever-so-slightly pressing matter of the Axis taking over the world. Josh Wheaton in God’s Not Dead has to prove that atheism is stupid in time to catch a Newsboys concert.

The characters who come against these protagonists are similarly different. In Hacksaw, Desmond’s unit has a serious problem with him not compromising to pick up a gun because he just might get himself and everyone else killed. In the God’s Not Dead movies, people are angry because “Ooooh! I’m an atheist, and those people are Christians and that makes me maaaaad!” Desmond actually has to wrestle with himself, because he knows the others have a point, but he believes he can help the cause.

There’s a scene at the end of Hacksaw Ridge, following everyone slowly becoming pro-Desmond, where the soldiers are waiting to storm up the ridge again. They’re waiting for Desmond to finish praying for them. Their heads aren’t bowed. They aren’t all on their knees crying while some awful Christian rock is playing. They’re watching Desmond. Maybe they aren’t convinced by his beliefs, but they respect him and his beliefs, just as he respects them. They've come to understand each other, on both sides. Even better, the attack is on Saturday, Desmond’s Sabbath, during which he previously refused to fight. Yet, here he is, on his Sabbath, breaking a little bit of conviction, because he feels like it’s the right thing to do. He relents on his slavish devotion to his faith, because upon self-reflection and meditation, he believes he should act…. What?! Is this possible?! A faith-based movie showing its main character going beyond straightforward biblical practice by doing some actual soul-searching? Madness!

Desmond isn’t smug. He isn’t condescending.
He’s respectful. He’s open. He’s flawed. He’s real.
The world he is in is genuine. It's scary. It challenges faith and not just by someone saying church is stupid or something.
His religious turmoil is warranted. The other characters’ problems with him are valid. His actions are actually admirable, regardless of whatever the hell he believes in.
The people here aren't psychotic assholes.... Well... The Japanese are kind of depicted that way, but not the main characters.

I don’t honestly think Hacksaw Ridge is an amazing movie. It’s good. It’s very competent. It works on a lot of levels, but it has a lot of problems. The ending feels abrupt, melodramatic, and incomplete. A lot of the acting in the first half actually manages to have a similar stilted vibe like a lot of Christian films, and it piles on the schmaltz. Australian actors simply cannot do Southern U.S. accents, and even when Hugo Weaving is acting the hell out of a scene, his phony drawl sounds silly. The Japanese army is depicted in an, at best, uninteresting and, at worst, dehumanizing way. Still, as a film, it’s pretty good; as a Christian film, it’s a masterpiece.

Is it going to inspire me to go back to church and get back into the good Christian life? No. I highly doubt anything will anytime soon. But I left this movie seeing value and respect in Christian faith instead of being cynical of it. That's an accomplishment for a movie these days.

There you have it. I’ve given credit where it was due, now nobody can complain the next time I make fun of a Christian movie starring washed-up TV actors. I've proven that I’m tolerant as fuck, you pieces of shit.

Imo the Christian parts of the film felt like a different film than the actual combat portions. And those Christian parts were hammy as hell.

A better example for this topic would be The Tree of Life. Now that's a beautiful movie where the content on display isn't something I believe, but moves me deeply.

Vectorman

Banned
Been wanting to see Hacksaw but I'm also looking forward to Silence. Seems like a real in depth look at just faith in general and how far you will go believing in something, even if death is looming large. Plus it's a Scorsese film so it's a can't miss film regardless of the source material.

https://youtu.be/ASU4wvY0CbE

Best Christian film I ever saw was 'Des Hommes Et Des Dieu' - Of Gods and Men about the murder of 7 Trappist monks in Algeria in 1996. It's based on a true story.
It's not really a Christian film as such but I found it far more meaningful then anything else.

Mimosa97

Oh wow I didn't even realize Hacksaw Ridge was a christian movie. Usually I can't stand the religious pandering as it makes me roll my eyes but I guess I was blinded by the fact that I knew going in that I was about to watch a movie about a conscientious objector who didn't want to carry a firearm because of his faith so I thought it was part of the character's story.

I liked the movie. It has its flaws but Mel is so good behind the camera that it's worth it.

Best Christian film I ever saw was 'Des Hommes Et Des Dieu' - Of Gods and Men about the murder of 7 Trappist monks in Algeria in 1996. It's based on a true story.
It's not really a Christian film as such but I found it far more meaningful then anything else.

Yaaaay someone mention a movie from my country on Gaf. Doesn't happen very often lol

Wasn't this based on a true story? I know those types of movies are usually loosely based on some book that might be based on a true story but perhaps that's why it seems like a better christian movie than other ones that are straight up pandering.

I enjoyed the movie and liked that they didn't beat the religious thing to death so I agree with your ideas.

Qvoth

as someone who hasn't been in a church in a few years, imo hacksaw ridge is more a war movie compared to a christian movie
a very good movie nonetheless

TheWraith

I thought this movie basically was War Movie Cliché :The Movie. By the end it was almost laughably so, I like other Gibson movies especially Apocalypto, but this was a trope-filled mess of a movie.

squidyj

leaving everything important in your post aside.

Before you make your mind up about australian actors watch Rectify.

MattKeil

BIGTIME TV MOGUL #2
The Greatest Story Ever Told proved that 50 years ago. Any thematic choice or moral can work if presented well, it's just that the vast majority of Christian filmmaking these days is pure hack work, more interested in selling its skewed worldview than allowing its point of view to simply inhabit the story. For all his failings as a person, Mel's a good filmmaker who understands that difference, so it doesn't surprise me Hacksaw Ridge is a cut above the usual.

Ridley327

Oh hey, someone else who came to a similar conclusion!

Mel is definitely a smart enough guy to realize that there's a difference between non-believers (such as they are) being wrong about a particular person versus non-believers being wrong, period. Too often, faith-based films take the second option and they can frequently come off as unusually spiteful and even zealous in delivering their message. Mel decides to take the first option and I felt like it really paid off with how much more focused the film is as a result. Story-wise, that's why I didn't get the same level of whiplash that others had when the second half rolls around, because through the wall of violence, the film is still about Desmond's conflict with his fellow soldiers 100% of the way.

Korosenai

My dad, a hardcore christian republican, made fun of this movie after watching trailers for it because of hollywood, and its agenda against gun owners and how everything can be solved by peace, and they want to take our guns or show guns are bad, etc etc etc.... Should I tell him that it has to do with christianity as well and see what his reaction is?

Like I did tell him its based on a true story and it actually happened and he was like "well why are they deciding to do this now? Why make this movie now? It's all their agenda to take us down." Neither of us had any idea it had to do with christianity.

Fox Mulder

My dad, a hardcore christian republican, made fun of this movie after watching trailers for it because of hollywood, and its agenda against gun owners and how everything can be solved by peace, and they want to take our guns or show guns are bad, etc etc etc.... Should I tell him that it has to do with christianity as well and see what his reaction is?

Like I did tell him its based on a true story and it actually happened and he was like "well why are they deciding to do this now? Why make this movie now? It's all their agenda to take us down." Neither of us had any idea it had to do with christianity.

So Mel Gibson is part of the Hollywood liberal conspiracy now.

I hate people.

Imo the Christian parts of the film felt like a different film than the actual combat portions. And those Christian parts were hammy as hell.

A better example for this topic would be The Tree of Life. Now that's a beautiful movie where the content on display isn't something I believe, but moves me deeply.

Excellent first post.

I'm not going to deny the argument can be made that Hacksaw is a spiritual movie, but even in Lionel's example, he stops at the actual war part of the film, which is half the film. So that would lead to the idea that it might be half a spiritual film, but one can't say that idea is carried throughout quite like God's Not Dead or whatever other dreadful films you want to compare it to.

Interesting idea though.

Ridley327

I kinda get what you mean as far as the trailers were concerned, but a big element of the story is that Desmond believes that the war is justified and that he realizes that lives will be lost as they fight. What the story is about is the way he chooses to support the war, as an aspect of his faith and his own personal life that's led him down this path of non-violence, and how that rubs people the wrong way as they are understandably skeptical of what he can actually do when they know he won't have their back when it comes to the combat engagement itself. It's about a man who finds his own path in helping the war effort, and the extraordinary heroism that results from it.

Beartruck

One thing I appreciate about the film is the way that it shows that, when you get down to it, most people don't actually care about religion. Sure, they'll claim to when it suits their needs, but the actual messages of understanding, forgiveness and love (aka the Important shit) completely blow past some people.

guek

Banned
Christian movies can work like all other movies - by making a film first, whatever else second. Stuff like God's Not Dead does not set out to make a good movie, it sets out to make good propaganda. I say that as a Christian myself.

Lmo911

It's basically the difference between an actual musician making a song that involves their faith and the dreck from a christian rock band.

One is created by an individual fully understanding the medium that they're using to present their story.

The other is using the medium as a tool to push their product. I wouldn't even call it propaganda, it's more crass than that to me. They're basically commercials to sell God's Not Dead branded junk.

I know we're supposed to ignore Mel's... you know... whatever.

But he really had to be the guy who made a war movie all about the guy who wouldn't kill Nazis.

Not knocking the hero the movie is about... but I find that thought incredibly troubling. Of course Mel loves the hero that wouldn't kill anti semites. OF COURSE HE DOES.

Reckheim

But he really had to be the guy who made a war movie all about the guy who wouldn't kill Nazis.

Not knocking the hero the movie is about... but I find that thought incredibly troubling. Of course Mel loves the hero that wouldn't kill anti semites. OF COURSE HE DOES.

... so you're saying all German soldiers during WW2 were anti-semites?

Oh man, I really wanna read the OP. But I havent seen the movie yet and plan on doing so.

How spoileriffic is the OP?

I thought this film was about the conflict in the Pacific, so wouldnt that be the Japanese?

To be fair, I believe Doss almost exclusively encountered Japanese forces, not the Nazis.

In the movie, Desmond Doss fights the Japanese imperial army, not the Nazis.

Grexeno

But this movie is set in the Pacific Theater

Speevy

Banned
The protagonist of this movie is not judged for being a Christian, but for refusing to carry a weapon, which is something the other (presumably Christian) characters don't agree with.

No one's soul is judged in this movie.

There's no persecution complex on display, as you actually see a realistic depiction of a man being persecuted for something he believes in. You might judge him harshly too if you had lived in those times. But he turns into the hero of the movie and saves Lieutenant Dan.

Toparaman

Banned
There's this small movie called "Ben-Hur" that won 11 Oscars.

Ten Commandments is pretty good too.

Christian movies were literally epic 70mm affairs at one point, with gorgeous sets, costumes, and cinematography.

firehawk12

Subete no aware
I think the point that's been made about how the film is supposed to preach this anti-violence message and then almost ironically gives you the standard WW2 battle sequences for the second half of the game is an apt one though.

Funny enough, it reminded me of how absurd Daredevil is, since the character as depicted on the show is supposedly super Catholic and also rants against violence and killing, but goes around basically crippling everyone he fights against.

I think the point that's been made about how the film is supposed to preach this anti-violence message and then almost ironically gives you the standard WW2 battle sequences for the second half of the game is an apt one though.

Funny enough, it reminded me of how absurd Daredevil is, since the character as depicted on the show is supposedly super Catholic and also rants against violence and killing, but goes around basically crippling everyone he fights against.

I don't believe that movie carried such a message, it was simply about on man's faith being put to the test. Even Desmond doesn't seem to be against using violence, he rather would personally not ever resort to it after what happened between him and his father. Violence was necessary to stop the Axis powers.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom