• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Mario Kart 64 out tomorrow on NA Virtual Console

entremet

Why did it take so long to make the Wii U VC? It's one of the flagship N64 titles. I don't get Nintendo sometimes.

Were they afraid of MK8 sales cannibalism?

rardk64

I know the answer is NOA, obviously, but how the hell was this not already out?

Why did it take so long to make the Wii U VC? It's one of the flagship N64 titles. I don't get Nintendo sometimes.

Were they afraid of MK8 sales cannibalism?

Not that I'm against it but... why now?

Yeah all of this. This kind of Virtual Console slow output can NOT continue on the Switch. It's just inexcusable.

Sure, it'd cost money, but: devote an entire team to this if that's not already the case. It's just crazy slow, and makes the whole service less appealing.

Probably because of licensing due to advertisements in the game

enhanced-9900-1401820208-1.png

RedToad64

Yeah all of this. This kind of Virtual Console slow output can NOT continue on the Switch. It's just inexcusable.

Sure, it'd cost money, but: devote an entire team to this if that's not already the case. It's just crazy slow, and makes the whole service less appealing.
If Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii U credits are to go by, then the Virtual Console team is like made up of four people.

Probably because of licensing due to advertisements in the game

enhanced-9900-1401820208-1.png
None of those parodies are in the North American release. Japan and Europe got it ages ago.

entremet

If Super Smash Bros. Brawl and Wii U credits are to go by, then the Virtual Console team is like made up of four people.

None of those parodies are in the North American release. Japan and Europe got it ages ago.

Also parodies are fair use too.

Glad we finally got Mario Party 2 and Mario Kart 64 in one of the final dying months of Wii U's life. Nice move Nintendo.

Please don't let the Switch VC be a disaster. I can't wait another 5 years for the same games to be re-released (& re-bought) again.

cw_sasuke

If all DLC came tied to $13 figurines, I'd consider all DLC to be free
MK64 for VC 4 years after WiiU launched says everything you gotta know about VC on WiiU. lol

graybot

Best Mario Kart ever for me

Dk Jungle in 2 player split screen is my favourite map.

Never liked the battle mode though. Part 1 had the best battle mode IMO

This game is kinda, really bad. The rubber banding is insane. Especially in multi-player. If you haven't played it in a while, hold on to your nostalgia, do not go back.

yeah but the ESRB probably doesn't care. I could definitely see them rating the game "T" for Teen based on the Marlboro parody ad. You can't market cigarettes or fake cigarette companies in games without it getting a T or M rating.

thedan001

Best battle mode!

The 4 cube towers with bridges is hilarious if everyone keeps spamming green turtles

The multi layer map one is nice for guerrilla warfare tactics

The donut one is meh, especially if you play with friends that are hit and run types.

It's kinda impressive how Nintendo squandered the Virtual Console concept in only 10 years.

It was an amazing concept in theory. The execution was just terrible. There really is no excuse for the watered down colors in the games. It's sad when a bootlegger can port a game better than Nintendo.

nkarafo

It was an amazing concept in theory. The execution was just terrible. There really is no excuse for the watered down colors in the games. It's sad when a bootlegger can port a game better than Nintendo.
The homebrew emulation scene is superior in every way compared to anything official. It's the only way to avoid watered down colors, horrible input lag, PAL versions garbage and changes from the original games.

Blues1990

The homebrew emulation scene is superior in every way compared to anything official. It's the only way to avoid watered down colors, horrible input lag, PAL versions garbage and changes from the original games.

When injecting Virtual Console games became a thing, can't you readjust the colour values in the games? I remember someone showcasing that there were variable sliders that you can use to adjust the tint & such.

RedToad64

The Kawasaki logos were removed from the vc version and replaced with Wii and DS advertising.
Not the Wii U versions.

The dark filter over the more recent N64 releases have been much better than the initial batch. Mario Party 2 looks pretty good and they even stopped doing the stupid borders.

Top Bottom