• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Gravity Rush 2 - You're going to buy it, right?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Both courses were straightforward imo, told you what the majority of the controls were, barring maybe the gravity slide. Haven't played in nearly a year, but I got the hang of it again just fine despite forgetting everything myself. That being said, I don't expect anyone to just gravity shift perfectly the first one or two times; it takes time to get used to. Which is where it being a demo comes in handy, since you can just replay it as much as you want until you get the hang of it. Hell, you don't even have to replay it, the courses give you leeway to mess around with the controls anyhow.

I'm not really following how it is hand-waving.

Why would I want to replay it over and over to figure out the controls when I'm frustrated and not enjoying it? If I'm not understanding how to navigate and fight effectively, it's not my problem as a user, it's the game's problem for not onboarding me effectively. All they really did in the demo was tell me what buttons do what. I could've learned that from a Controls screen. Telling users what the buttons do is not effective onboarding UX with a game like this which has a weird control scheme and unconventional movement.

Credit to the OP for posting a topic that actually made me interested in this game. Interested enough to try the demo, after which I think I'll not only preorder GR2, but also buy the remaster of GR for PS4.

It's so charming, the art style is lovely, the soundtrack is fantastic, the gameplay is fun and pretty easy to get the hang of, and Kat is beyond adorable.

Congrats OP, mission accomplished.

MikeDown

Banned
Just pre-ordered from Amazon, gonna be rewatching the TGS trailer once a day until release. So excited to play this and listen to the soundtrack. Gonna be sad once it is over. :(

EDIT: Also really great OP, had no idea this game has multiplayer! :D

co1onel

Is there a way to preview them?
Took a quick screenshot
9NAMmDol.jpg

CazTGG

I was not a fan of the original and felt that its premise was more interesting than the final game's execution of said premise, but I do hope the sequel improves on its flaws and sells well on the PS4.

Novocaine

I enjoyed the first game for what it was on Vita but after playing the demo and watching the Giant Bomb QL I think I'm going to pass for now. Maybe when it drops in price.

LotusHD

Banned
Why would I want to replay it over and over to figure out the controls when I'm frustrated and not enjoying it? If I'm not understanding how to navigate and fight effectively, it's not my problem as a user, it's the game's problem for not onboarding me effectively. All they really did in the demo was tell me what buttons do what. I could've learned that from a Controls screen. Telling users what the buttons do is not effective onboarding UX with a game like this which has a weird control scheme and unconventional movement.

Lol, you don't have to replay it over and over, I don't think it should take that long to get the hang of it. But even then, like I said, the courses give you leeway to just put off doing the objectives and just letting you fly around to an extent. But yea, obviously if you never enjoyed it to begin with, you don't have to bother with doing any of that.

However, I still don't see how the tutorial wasn't informative enough though... It tells you exactly what to do, and there are options to configure the camera/motion controls if that is what is flustering you or anyone else. I don't really know what else you'd like to see...

Credit to the OP for posting a topic that actually made me interested in this game. Interested enough to try the demo, after which I think I'll not only preorder GR2, but also buy the remaster of GR for PS4.

It's so charming, the art style is lovely, the soundtrack is fantastic, the gameplay is fun and pretty easy to get the hang of, and Kat is beyond adorable.

Congrats OP, mission accomplished.

Nice, and I'm glad you understand the most important thing lol

Just pre-ordered from Amazon, gonna be rewatching the TGS trailer once a day until release. So excited to play this and listen to the soundtrack. Gonna be sad once it is over. :(

EDIT: Also really great OP, had no idea this game has multiplayer! :D

I actually can see myself getting so distracted everytime I come across other players or treasure hunts lol

Took a quick screenshot
9NAMmDol.jpg

Hmm, Raven has the best ones imo

Isn't that what most tutorials do? I'm not sure I follow. The game tells you how the controls work and you get a feel for them by moving around and practising against the easy enemies the demo has.

Sande

I got hyped seeing everyone gushing over it here at GAF but I was completely unimpressed by the demo.

I agree completely about the devs failing to teach new players properly. I'm still wondering if there's just something I didn't get about the gravity mechanic or if it's truly as simplistic and unengaging as it seems.

Lol, you don't have to replay it over and over, I don't think it should take that long to get the hang of it. But even then, like I said, the courses give you leeway to just put off doing the objectives and just letting you fly around to an extent. But yea, obviously if you never enjoyed it to begin with, you don't have to bother with doing any of that.

However, I still don't see how the tutorial wasn't informative enough though... It tells you exactly what to do, and there are options to configure the camera/motion controls if that is what is flustering you or anyone else. I don't really know what else you'd like to see...

Isn't that what most tutorials do? I'm not sure I follow. The game tells you how the controls work and you get a feel for them by moving around and practising against the easy enemies the demo has.

Well, it wasn't knowing what buttons did what that was the problem. I figured out how to attack enemies, and I sort of figured out how to move. But I really struggled to even fly to the targets, I was often disoriented by the camera despite playing with the camera controls, and because of those things I often overshot and lost track of enemies and generally felt like I was flailing around. Maybe the first game did a better job of teaching the movement and combat concepts, but I'm just telling you as a new player coming to this second game I encountered a very high difficulty wall.

Because I don't have a firm grasp of how I'm supposed to navigate the world effectively, I can't really say how I'd improve the tutorial, other than they should have spent more time explaining the concepts of gravity flight and not just telling me what the buttons are.

Rizzi

Is the combat in 2 better than the first? Playing the remaster of the first game at the moment, and some of these combat challenges are awful. Gold medal for throwing items? Enjoy watching items either explode for no reason, or refuse to lift off the ground.

Is the combat in 2 better than the first? Playing the remaster of the first game at the moment, and some of these combat challenges are awful. Gold medal for throwing items? Enjoy watching items either explode for no reason, or refuse to lift off the ground.
Did you hold circle when picking things up?

Well, it wasn't knowing what buttons did what that was the problem. I figured out how to attack enemies, and I sort of figured out how to move. But I really struggled to even fly to the targets, I was often disoriented by the camera despite playing with the camera controls, and because of those things I often overshot and lost track of enemies and generally felt like I was flailing around. Maybe the first game did a better job of teaching the movement and combat concepts, but I'm just telling you as a new player coming to this second game I encountered a very high difficulty wall.
For example, what do you mean by flying to the targets? Do you mean "enemies" or "places on the map"? If the former you don't need to fly to them, you just aim at them and when the blue thin circle appears you press square. If you get lost while trying to get places you could try going upwards and then moving over the building and then press L1 to just drop down.

Yes. Should I not?
Yeah, you should. I was curious because you said things refuse to lift off the ground. That is either because they aren't meant to lift off the ground, you weren't holding circle long enough or you reached the limit of how many objects can be picked up at once (5).

jdstorm

Banned

Because I don't have a firm grasp of how I'm supposed to navigate the world effectively, I can't really say how I'd improve the tutorial, other than they should have spent more time explaining the concepts of gravity flight and not just telling me what the buttons are.

I got a little motion sick and dizzy playing through the first game at first. But once you get your head around it. Its an incredible rush.

The best tip i saw online was to Watch Kats Hair since it always falls downwards under the defult/normal gravity IE. If you are standing on the roof Kats hair will be going straight up. (Towards the floor under non shifted gravity.

Aside from that, once you get the hang of it(and buy some upgrades) you start moving faster which helps with the feeling of flying

Kazuo Hirai

I really want everyone to know how much more Titanfall 2 sold than Nioh. It was a staggering amount.
Just watch a stream from local critic, I call it the best open world ever made, yeah ,better than GTA V and Witcher 3

LotusHD

Banned
Just watch a stream from local critic, I call it the best open world ever made, yeah ,better than GTA V and Witcher 3

At the very least, it certainly has the best method of traversal lol

Out of all the open world games I've played recently, it's nice knowing I don't have to worry about getting open world fatigue when I eventually get to play the game.

I got hyped seeing everyone gushing over it here at GAF but I was completely unimpressed by the demo.

I agree completely about the devs failing to teach new players properly. I'm still wondering if there's just something I didn't get about the gravity mechanic or if it's truly as simplistic and unengaging as it seems.

It's possible because I don't know how you played it.

But for the demo:

You can slide dodge by pressing R2 while sliding. You can of course shift dodge too by pressing R2 while shifting.

You can slide kick by pressing square while sliding.

You can use the stasis field pretty much whenever e.g. if you're sliding, shifting, regular falling, lunar jumping or the leap thing.

Human enemies can be captured by the stasis field and flung at other enemies..

Dodge regularly by pressing R2. Dodge in a direction using the left stick. While in the dodging animation, press square for a counterattack.

You can still jump while sliding by pressing the cross button and you can gravity kick after jumping by pressing square.

Jupiter mode affects the height of the slide jump and I think Lunar mode does too but it's hard to eye-ball.

While shifting, you can gravity kick in any direction without stopping by turning the camera in a different direction than one you're shifting in and pressing square.

You can transition between shifting/gravity kicking and sliding by pressing L2 before hitting a new ground.

While in lunar mode, if you hold the cross button while on or before hitting a surface, you'll jump off that surface. So you can jump off the trees in the game or sides of a building.

Also, there's the superman jump. Flick the left stick + cross button.

In Jupiter mode, you can block with R2 rather than dodge.

Stasis field + lunar mode is OP and can crash the demo multiple times.

maouvin

It's possible because I don't know how you played it.

But for the demo:

You can slide dodge by pressing R2 while sliding. You can of course slide shift too by pressing R2 while shifting.

You can slide kick by pressing square while sliding.

You can use the stasis field pretty much whenever e.g. if you're sliding, shifting, regular falling, lunar jumping or the leap thing.

Human enemies can be captured by the stasis field and flung at other enemies..

Dodge regularly by pressing R2. Dodge in a direction using the left stick. While in the dodging animation, press square for a counterattack.

You can still jump while sliding by pressing the cross button and you can gravity kick after jumping by pressing square.

Jupiter mode affects the height of the slide jump and I think Lunar mode does too but it's hard to eye-ball.

While shifting, you can gravity kick in any direction without stopping by turning the camera in a different direction than one you're shifting in and pressing square.

You can transition between shifting/gravity kicking and sliding by pressing L2 before hitting a new ground.

While in lunar mode, if you hold the cross button while on or before hitting a surface, you'll jump off that surface. So you can jump off the trees in the game or sides of a building.

Also, there's the superman jump. Flick the left stick + cross button.

In Jupiter mode, you can block with R2 rather than dodge.

Stasis field + lunar mode is OP and can crash the demo multiple times.

This is great info, cheers!

I'm getting it, been plowing through Gravity Rush Remastered to prepare..

But god it's so dumb that this, RE7, and Yakuza 0 all come out within a week of each other... Yakuza 0 is gonna have to wait :/

Wow this game sure looks like a hot mess in that Giant Bomb Quick Look, holy shit.

Yeah, that didn't demo well at all. Also, it seems Jason doesn't really have a feel for how to play the game in a fun way. Maybe that's only something you get once you play enough of e.g. the first game. Even his traversal looked clunky/amateurish (though seems also slower than the first game with maxed out abilities). He should do some races.

However, I'm still turned off because it has again that low budget / handheld presentation. I know people like their comic book style cutscenes but Jeff was right when he says the game doesn't feel like a (main) first party title. Also the same mission structure and types from the first game again...
I think even the facial expression panels for the "cutscenes" are the same from the first game lol

I might buy it once it bombs/gets a sale but I personally still have to play so much else.

I kinda regret playing through the remaster now, it seems that gave me more than enough of the core mechanics to have my fill but I should have waited for the sequel to do that within a overall better/enhanced/much better looking game :/

Playing through it for the first time now. Probably my favorite way to move through a game space.

Sony should be throwing their marketing muscle behind games like this and not 1886.
Yep.

Yeah, that didn't demo well at all. Also, it seems Jason doesn't really have a feel for how to play the game in a fun way. Maybe that's only something you get once you play enough of e.g. the first game. Even his traversal looked clunky/amateurish (though seems also slower than the first game with maxed out abilities).

However, I'm still turned off because it has again that low budget / handheld presentation. I know people like their comic book style cutscenes but Jeff was right when he says the game doesn't feel like a (main) first party title. Also the same mission structure and types from the first game again...
I think even the facial expression panels for the "cutscenes" are the same from the first game lol

I might buy it once it bombs/gets a sale but I personally still have to play so much else.

I kinda regret playing through the remaster now, it seems that gave me more than enough of the core mechanics to have my fill but I should have waited for the sequel to do that within a overall better/enhanced/much better looking game :/
I always shake my head at stuff like this.

Yep.

I always shake my head at stuff like this.

I want the characters to interact like in the Overture anime throughout the game, in engine would be totally fine. For me, a lot of the immersion and potential details are lost in a story/sp game when I have watch a powerpoint slideshow of the same 5 different reaction faces of something that should be an intense dialogue.

I'm playing Psycho Pass currently and it's my first VN and I now really learned to despise this form of story presentation. Even without knowing it's just for budget-reasons.

LotusHD

Banned

There's nothing wrong at all with keeping the comic book style cutscenes, nor is it suddenly low budget/cheaply made game just because it retained it. It's all part of the game's distinctive look. If you don't like it, that's fine, but describing it so crudely as a "powerpoint slide" is just... lol

Humdinger

.... I sort of figured out how to move. But I really struggled to even fly to the targets, I was often disoriented by the camera despite playing with the camera controls, and because of those things I often overshot and lost track of enemies and generally felt like I was flailing around. Maybe the first game did a better job of teaching the movement and combat concepts, but I'm just telling you as a new player coming to this second game I encountered a very high difficulty wall.

I think that is a fair criticism. The game could do a better job of walking players through the movements. It leaves you to figure a lot out by yourself. I think some of us have forgotten how strange it feels when you're new to it. And that's another thing -- flying through (or rather falling through) the air like this is a strange way to traverse a world, and it does take time to get your head around it.

Don't be put off by that, though. With a little practice, it'll start to feel natural. Although I will say, even after hours spent playing GR remastered, I would still get disoriented at times, wondering which way was up.

Also, read a little of what humansarehorses wrote. When he's not telling people they're idiots because they're doing it wrong (lol), he's actually quite helpful.

Hearing the music in the EZA review bringing my hype to max.

For sure!

Wish it was a million seller too, but that's never going to happen in this day and age.

Yeah.

Yeah LotusHD, you got me with your incredible Gifs on my thread... Can't wait to play it now, hype is over the roof.

Thumbs up! Good job.

I got a little motion sick and dizzy playing through the first game at first. But once you get your head around it. Its an incredible rush.

The best tip i saw online was to Watch Kats Hair since it always falls downwards under the defult/normal gravity IE. If you are standing on the roof Kats hair will be going straight up. (Towards the floor under non shifted gravity.

Aside from that, once you get the hang of it(and buy some upgrades) you start moving faster which helps with the feeling of flying

Yeah. This is real good advice for someone just starting out to get used to keeping track of which way normal gravity is.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom