• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Should Halo 6 keep or remove sprinting?

SOR5

The ultimate question,

To sprint

TCYgMjK.gif

or not to sprint.

Games like Overwatch and DOOM have shown us that sprinting isnt required to be a successful shooter these days, whilst some would say that Halo 5's current mechanics allow for that extra mobility whilst staying faithful to the old arena formula.

Say you've landed a hypothetical job as a gameplay designer, what decision would you make?

exfatal

No sprint i say, this coming from an overwatch fan

Edit: Unless its part of your loadout for skills lol.

it is funny that people said that not being able to sprint or have ADS is archaic and outdated, Halo should get with the times and then we got Overwatch.

i'd remove it, i see no real advantage in having it but several big disadvantages.

dc89

I think I would remove sprint for certain game types for sure.
I think it's essential for certain game modes like Warzone, id have not to be able to sprint across open expanses like that.

KingBroly

Banned
I think they should remove sprinting so they can focus on making smaller maps where the action is never too far away.

Noobcraft

I could see an arena playlist with sprint disabled, but Warzone would be the worst without sprint so it should stay.

the problem with sprint is it causes maps to become bigger therefore you find yourself having to sprint to move around and of course u cant sprint and gun which means the classic halo formula is gone.

h5 is fun for what it is but it isnt really halo. the maps are crap, sprint should be removed and smaller maps should return, best comprise would be as the user above says to disable it in certain playlists and design maps for that

iMax

Depends on Halo 6's levels.

I don't think non-sprint (that's what I'm going to call it) lends itself to massive environments, like we saw in the original Halo. But for the comparatively intimate arenas you get in Doom and parts of Halo 5, it's not important.

blamite

Before Halo 5 I definitely would have said that it absolutely needs to go, but that game's movement and ability set has let much sold me on the idea that sprint can work and feel fine in Halo. Keep it (and most other things from H5). Not like there's realistically any chance 343 would actually remove it anyway.

Nowise10

It is definitely going to have sprint no matter what.

I've come to accept it. I fully believe the game doesn't need it, at least in Arena multiplayer, as they typically just make the maps larger to compensate, but in modes like Warzone it is needed as the maps are so much larger compared to anything else.

Van Bur3n

I feel they finally made it work in Halo 5. Balancing it out (along with the rest of the Spartan abilities) with your shields. I feel it definitely emphasizes the choice of fight or flight and makes for a more interesting decision to either run at the risk of no shields or stay and fight to get your shields back at the risk of dying. And as someone said, Warzone comes with some large maps. They would be a pain to navigate with no sprint. Hell, they still feel too large even with it.

I'd personally keep it, though its removal wouldn't bother me much either. Just watch the maps you're adding if you're going to remove it.

But I think they have the perfect formula that stays true to Halo while still feeling a bit different.

exfatal

Loadouts in Halo?
Superman-takes-a-shot.gif

Leave the gameplay loop from Halo 5 untouched. It should be the standard moving forward.

Halo is already going down the shittier not much you can do now. plus didnt they have some type of load out in 4 or something? like a guy could put up a shield or something? thats what i mean make it a skill for certain type of halo armor? i dunno how these damn games work no more lol

Compsiox

Banned
Halo 5 movement, gunplay, and abilities were all perfect. I don't want to hear otherwise from anyone who barely played.

I liked the mechanic it introduced with the shield recharge being delayed until you stop sprinting.

Not sure overwatch or Doom's multiplayer is the best metric to make this decision with. Those are completely different types of games.

If they keep it, I hope they nerf it harder so that you stop sprinting when getting shot. It's sorta sucks how sprinting away from a fight is a viable strategy. If you watch any pro halo, you see it all the time

Cutebrute

I say keep it. 343 found a winning gameplay formula, and I thought the smaller H5 maps were a fine size. And I think people would go back to whining about how their super-soldier "can't run" if it's cut. The mechanic can work very well in Halo, so let people disable it in customs and let's end this debate.

schlew

I enjoy it, and think tying it into your shield was a terrific idea. When you're damaged your shield won't recharge while you run, so I think It's an interesting way to have sprinting add to the gameplay itself, as opposed to just being a faster movement speed.

In fact, when I play Destiny I'm always surprised my health recovers while I run.

Bessy67

I honestly see no reason to drastically alter the core movement mechanics from Halo 5. The game played great IMO.

They have done so much to revolve around sprint they would actually change the whole engangmeny sandbox from what 5 brought us.

Longer jumps
Longer jumps with hover to cover more distance
Slide
Spartan charge
Covering distance quickly
Retreating quickly
Flanking quickly

Forgot to mention map design/layout too

Remove sprint 100%. Halo 5 feels like a CoD game. 4 even felt better to play. Halo needs to go back to the style of Halo 3. Perfect game IMO.

woodland

Remove. Sprint just inflates map sizes and makes it more difficult to design maps when you have to account for 2 different speeds to get around. Also disincentivizes combat by lowering your weapon when sprinting.

Does it add anything? No, besides making people that need to feel like sanic feel like sanic. TF2, Quake, Shadowrun, CS etc all showed this in the past but I guess we needed new reminders for people that can't think of those games. What's even funnier is that Halo is and always has been a run-and-gun FPS. No bloom encourages strafing and moving constantly while you shoot. Sprint just messes with that by making you physically unable to shoot during it.

It was a poor mechanic when Bungie added it in Reach, a shit mechanic in H4, and even after nerfs to it it's a shit mechanic in H5. Simply doesn't add enough to the game for what it takes away.

Edit: While we're on the subject, we should also take out "Smart Scope" (ADS) since it offers nothing that normal scope didn't at the cost of having a big fucking gun in your screen. But "hurr durr it's not that big it should stay".

Remove 343, except forge team.
Remove Sprint, all it does is give the illusion for going faster. Just increase movement speed and decrease map size.
Keep thrust.
Remove Ground Pound and Spartan Charge, charge is cancer and over powered.

Caja 117

Remove sprint 100%. Halo 5 feels like a CoD game. 4 even felt better to play. Halo needs to go back to the style of Halo 3. Perfect game IMO.

No it doesnt play anything like CoD, Halo 5 gameplay is the best its being since before Halo 3, the last thing Halo needs is playing like Halo 3.

Jawmuncher

I have no issue with sprinting. Really MP wise, I think the main thing 343 needs to fix is BTB style games. They nailed the arena style, but old school 16 player battles feel odd.

Loadouts in Halo?
Superman-takes-a-shot.gif

Leave the gameplay mechanics from Halo 5 untouched. It should be the standard moving forward.

What he said.

Halo is already going down the shittier not much you can do now. plus didnt they have some type of load out in 4 or something? like a guy could put up a shield or something? thats what i mean make it a skill for certain type of halo armor? i dunno how these damn games work no more lol

You don't know how the games work but are happy to make claims like that?

VeeP

Halo 5 probably had the best multiplayer since Halo 2.

And Halo 5 doesn't work like that.

Go and play Halo 3 today. Halo 5 just flat out feels better. And it feels like a Call of Duty game? Really? How? That literally makes no sense. The gunplay isn't anything like Call of Duty. The weight of the character isn't like Call of Duty. There's no loadouts like Call of Duty. So are you saying having sprint and it being a FPS makes it like CoD?

m23

It works in H5, I see no issue with it at this point. H5 mp is fine mechanically and balanced very well, 343 needs to build on it.

legacyzero

Banned
I think Halo 5 did it perfect.

Sprint is fine. Boost is fine. Ya'll franchise purists gotta move on. And Halo 3 is still my favorite of the franchise, but man, Halo 5 is still amazing.

RoKKeR

Keep. It's a key part of Halo 5's movement set that is generally really damn good overall. It feels appropriate and important to Halo 5, where as it just felt tacked-on in Halo 4.

I really wish they would take note from Doom and accept that you don't need to change the fundamentals of a game to modernize it.

Halo 5 multiplayer is pretty great, some of the best in the series at a core mechanics level. However, I still think they need to look back to Halo 2 more and simplify the game. Understand more why Halo 2 was so beloved (and Halo 1/3 as well).

Get rid of sprint, just make the game faster. Yeah, going back to how slow Halo 3 was would be really hard these days, so just make it an exaggerated form of what people remember Halo 2 being. Fast. Like Doom. You don't need ADS in Halo because outside of scoped weapons it's not how the games worked. So don't do it. Make everything fire from the hip. Like Doom. You don't need Spartan Abilities and clamboring and jetpack boosters and shit. That wasn't Halo.

Halo is map control, power weapons, balance, basic power-ups, and a wealth and variety of awesome and goofy gametypes. Make it fast, get rid of the extra layers that don't need to be there. Don't be afraid to strip back and just make it what it's supposed to be. You know, like Doom.

It works in H5, I see no issue with it at this point. H5 mp is fine mechanically and balanced very well, 343 needs to build on it.
Spartan charge balanced very well? When you can thrust and it curves and follows you? Or its ridiculous range lol

jem0208

Bullshit does 5 feel like a CoD game.

Even more bullshit claiming 4 plays better.

How much of 5 have you played?

Top Bottom