• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Say farewell to the Pioneer Cabin Tree, the redwood tree that could be driven through

Status
Not open for further replies.
http://www.sfgate.com/bayarea/article/Historic-Pioneer-Cabin-Tree-toppled-in-California-10844206.php

The historic Pioneer Cabin Tree, a former "drive-through" giant sequoia in Calaveras Big Trees State Park in Calaveras County, was felled in California's weekend storms.
The tree was hollowed out in the 1880s to allow cars to drive through it, but more recently has hosted only hikers. It was part of the "Big Trees Trail" at the state park. 

Jim Allday of Arnold is a volunteer at the park who was working there Sunday. He said the tree went down about 2 p.m. Nobody heard it when it fell, and it "shattered" on impact.

1024x1024.jpg

Edit:
Don't worry, there's still a few more in California that are still standing.
http://www.amusingplanet.com/2016/06/the-drive-through-trees-of-california.html

demon

I don't mean to alarm you but you have dogs on your face
Sad. Glad I got to see it at least once, back in 98.

But I mean, is it much of a surprise when more than half of its base was fucking hollowed out?

V

Vilix

Unconfirmed Member
That's terrible. I took the family through that tree when we visited the park.

Geist-

Oh no. I think this might be the first time I actually had future plans that are now entirely impossible. I wanted to visit that tree so badly after seeing pictures of it as a kid in school and I was going to check it out after I move back to the west coast in May. Damn, I'm so crushed right now, seriously.

Because there are others.

Less crushed, but still sad.

I tried to drive through one of these once and my rental car was too big. Nothing bigger than a small compact could have made it through the one I was at. I was out five bucks I paid at the automated gate.

finalflame

Gold Member
I tried to drive through one of these once and my rental car was too big. Nothing bigger than a small compact could have made it through the one I was at. I was out five bucks I paid at the automated gate.

The one I drove through (linked above) felt super claustrophobic while I was driving through it in my pretty small car (228i), but I also saw compact SUVs making it fine. Felt like I was gonna scrape something for sure, though, but it might be larger than the one you posted.

WedgeX

Banned
That's a damn shame. Inevitable given the giant hole bored into it. Sad that we've taken such poor care of Redwoods.

Everyone should really give The Hidden Life of Trees a read. Best summation of trees ecosystems that I've yet come across. Important on the level of John Muir, really.

TyrantII

Not surprising due to the damage at the base. Glad I got to hike through it in 2010, as they'll never cut a hole through one again.

Climate change sure is going to fuel the destruction of a lot of our history from the 19th and 20th century. Get used to the new norm.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom