• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo Online will be paid on Switch after initial free trial

maxcriden

Free trial followed by paid services in Fall 2017. Details to follow. Smartphone compatibility also included. Just announced.

Online service details here: http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/

(The below is from Derphoof's thread in case this becomes the primary discussion thread about online, thanks Derphoof!)

Online Play on Nintendo Switch

You’ll be able to play compatible co-op and competitive games online by signing in with your Nintendo Account. Online play will be free for Nintendo Account holders until our paid online service launches in fall 2017.

After the free-trial period, most games will require a paid online service subscription from Nintendo in order to play online.

This service is only for Nintendo Switch. It does not affect Wii U or Nintendo 3DS systems or online play.

Planned for fall 2017

- Online lobby and voice chat

- Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

- Monthly game download

- Subscribers will get to download and play a Nintendo Entertainment System™ (NES) or Super Nintendo Entertainment System™ (Super NES) game (with newly-added online play) for free for a month.

Exclusive deals

Special offers for subscribers may include discounts on select digital games and content.

8AorVPc.png

Nintendo wants some of that PS+ money

can't wait to see all the people who used to say Nintendo consoles were superior because you didn't have to pay for online do the mental gymnastics to justify this.

Krammy

Thought this might happen just like how PlayStation picked it up with PlayStation 4. Not surprised, but still really, REALLY disappointed.

SparkTR

All these console subscriptions legitimately are pushing me to PC. I actually can't afford all of them for my consoles. It's insane.

Kind of vile. Definitely makes the Switch a lot less appealing.

I guess they had to do something ridiculously anti-consumer to offset the removal of the region-lock, lol.

Top Bottom