• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

AMAZON US Switch up

Status
Not open for further replies.

ckaneo

I feel guilty reading this thread and knowing I'm going to have to cancel my pre-order in a few days due to money being tight and too paranoid to deal with Paypal. At least someone down the line will get a unit who wouldn't have.
Why not just sell it

ViolentP

Same boat I'm in. Current plan is to skip Horizon for now, play Zelda on Switch, then get Mass Effect and then when done with that hopefully Horizon should be getting some sales.

But at the same time, I would have no shortage of games to play this year on PS4 Pro and PC, thus it probably makes more sense to wait and see on Switch and how it's selling etc. But like you, I like new things, and I like supporting Nintnedo.

So I'm torn. I just found out the review embargo for Horizon lifts on the 20th, so I'll wait until then and read a bunch of reviews. If I get more hyped for that than Zelda, I'll cancel my Switch preorder. If not, I'll keep it and stick to the above plan.

Financially speaking, it makes sense to wait. Made only easier by the influx of games available during that time. But...sometimes an item holds enough emotional value to justify the financial error. Ultimately the question is, will you pay $360 to play the new Zelda title early?

I feel guilty reading this thread and knowing I'm going to have to cancel my pre-order in a few days due to money being tight and too paranoid to deal with Paypal. At least someone down the line will get a unit who wouldn't have.
You could sell it here for a small profit without needing to deal with PayPal. And both you and the buyer will feel good about it.

Just have someone send you an Amazon Gift card code for the order amount + $10 or whatever and apply the code to the order. Your card won't get charged when it ships and you'll have left over money in your Amazon balance to use on your next order.

I did exactly this with my preorders and I don't feel bad about making a little profit from it. It took hours of PMing back and forth and in a couple of occasions waiting hours for the gift card to arrive in my email and being the anxious type it wasn't fun. So I see it as a little compensation for my trouble, and the buyers were always very happy about the deal and thanked me for doing them a favor and left me positive feedback in the Buy/Sell/Trade thread. You win, they win.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Financially speaking, it makes sense to wait. Made only easier by the influx of games available during that time. But...sometimes an item holds enough emotional value to justify the financial error. Ultimately the question is, will you pay $360 to play the new Zelda title early?

Yeah I actually just came back to say that I said fuck it and just canceled my order. It was Best Buy pick up, so not easily transferable.

It was closer to $500 for me with Switch, Zelda, Pro Controller and 3 of the BOTW Amiibo.

I just can't justify that given my reservations about the hardware as pretty much a console only gamer and that I have more games coming out than I'll be able to keep up with on PS4 and PC--especially with work being busy as fuck through summer.

Plus, I still have my Wii U and can always play Zelda there. It's like to run nearly as good (hell if not better) there since they haven't been showing anything of the Wii U version in footage. If it ran way worse they wouldn't care as they'd rather people buy Switches and play the clearly better version.

I'm so unbelievably salty that I still don't have a pre-order. I think the last major console I didn't have at launch was the Dreamcast. :(

Spinluck

That sucks man.

I've been there. But getting it a little later is probably better anyway. This tech age has fucked me up so I can't help but buy this thing day 1. Even thought it'd probably be a better investment a little bit down the road.

ViolentP

Yeah I actually just came back to say that I said fuck it and just canceled my order. It was Best Buy pick up, so not easily transferable.

It was closer to $500 for me with Switch, Zelda, Pro Controller and 3 of the BOTW Amiibo.

I just can't justify that given my reservations about the hardware as pretty much a console only gamer and that I have more games coming out than I'll be able to keep up with on PS4 and PC--especially with work being busy as fuck through summer.

Plus, I still have my Wii U and can always play Zelda their. It's like to run nearly as good (hell if not better) there since they haven't been showing anything of the Wii U version in footage. If it ran way worse they wouldn't care as they'd rather people buy Switches and play the clearly better version.

I think your reasoning is sound.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
I think your reasoning is sound.

Yeah, it's just stupid to buy a console if you're not totally excited about it. As much as I've been waffling on it, I'm clearly not excited at this point. There's a lot I like about it, and I love a lot of Nintendo games, but that will be true down the road when there's more games to chose from, and maybe a bundle or price drop if I end up waiting into 2018.

ViolentP

Yeah, it's just stupid to buy a console if you're not totally excited about it. As much as'I've been waffling on it, I'm clearly not excited at this point. There's a lot I like about it, and I love a lot of Nintendo games, but that will be true down the road when there's more games to chose from, and maybe a bundle or price drop if I end up waiting into 2018.

Plus you've given someone else the opportunity to pick one up. Win/win.

Darklor01

Might need to stop sniffing glue
Plus you've given someone else the opportunity to pick one up. Win/win.

Yep, and it's not like you can't get it later if you wanted to. Perhaps at that point, Zelda BoTW on Switch might have had a price drop, details more solidified, and the dynamics of your decision to buy/not buy may have changed down the line. Better off not regretting the purchase in either case.

D

Deleted member 752119

Unconfirmed Member
Yep, and it's not like you can't get it later if you wanted to. Perhaps at that point, Zelda BoTW on Switch might have had a price drop, details more solidified, and the dynamics of your decision to buy/not buy may have changed down the line. Better off not regretting the purchase in either case.

Absolutely. Well other than price drops as games like Zelda almost never get drops. :D

But if I wait long enough I can get a console after a price drop, or a bundle, or some retailer specific deal (free $50 gift card type promo) etc.

But yeah, I ended up regretting Wii U and 3DS and I didn't get either at launch even, so it would have been dumb to not wait and see here. My hope was that the united library would make it worthwhile for me, compared to being split across platforms, but that's something to wait and see on.

Mediking

$80 for a pair of Joy-Con... c'mon, man. I want blue but even I can't go crazy about that price. $80 dollars! Why not $50 for both and $25 for one?!

Anybody have experience with being able to having shipping retroactively made free? I didn't have Prime at the time of ordering, but now do, so I was wondering if I'd be able to get support to remove the fee.

WadeitOut

Anybody have experience with being able to having shipping retroactively made free? I didn't have Prime at the time of ordering, but now do, so I was wondering if I'd be able to get support to remove the fee.

Yeah and it was done automatically when it shipped.

Also if I can change the shipping address on the order without it getting canned someone here can feel free to pay me in Amazon gift cards if they want a Gray Switch.

WadeitOut

Yeah, I actually just said screw it and asked support and they changed it instantly. Was pretty easy, but thanks for letting me know! :)

No problem. I actually retroactively purchased it back when I had a XBO and PS4 preordered along with a ton of other stuff. So that would have really sucked if it hadn't lol. I think they just told me to let it do it automatically since it was several orders they would have had to correct.

Lgndryhr

Target already took pre-orders once, on the night of the announcement. I tried to pre-order through them and it wouldn't complete the order so I went to Amazon. They later charged me twice for the order :))))

Oh okay. Guess they didn't stay up long compared to others. I know their weekly ad for the week of Switch release advertises it.

XtJs8kz.png

I decided to cancel my Pro Controller preorder. I'm going to give the JoyCons a fair chance to win me over.

It's def weird at first, but I was slowly getting used to the placement of the right stick after about a half hour of playtime. Pro controller is absolutely god-tier though, can not recommend it enough.

BFIB

I decided to cancel my Pro Controller preorder. I'm going to give the JoyCons a fair chance to win me over.

That's my plan too. I get, at the most, an hour/hr and a half at night to game, so the Switch undocked shouldn't be too much of an issue. I'm going to put the Switch dock on my PC (got a small kid), so when its docked, I'll just play on my PC monitor.

From the impressions thread, the JoyCon grip should be enough.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom