• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Voice chat on the Switch will consist of a paid app on "smart" devices (your phone)

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
Edit 2: CONFIRMED

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/
http://nintendoeverything.com/reggie-talks-switch-online-service-info-teased-on-rebuying-classic-games-supply-concerns-3ds-here-to-stay/

Reggie said:
The bigger vision is that we are going to provide an overall online service, subscription-based, that not only will capture the multiplayer opportunity, but also the voice chat capability that we're going to provide through a global app. We think that that's just as important as access to Virtual Console content.

The reason for that is, it continues to reinforce our commitment to online, and do so in a way that will enable the consumer to enjoy their Nintendo Switch and to still be able to play those connected experiences—like Splatoon, like Kart, like fill in the blank—while they're on the go. Instead of having some sort of bulky gamer headset, you'll be able to do it right off your smartphone, put in your earbuds that you use for your standard mobile device. We think that's a pretty sweet solution. That's part of the overall opportunity that we see in a subscription service.

Edit: The app comes with your online paid subscription.

Nintendo has not clarified if there is also voice chat on the Switch itself.

Clarification and new information that was just found out so I believe it deserves a new thread.

http://www.nintendo.com/switch/online-service/
Online lobby and voice chat

Our new dedicated smart device app will connect to Nintendo Switch and let you invite friends to play online, set play appointments, and chat with friends during online matches in compatible games─all from your smart device.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Peterthumpa

It's not clear that the Switch won't have the same features bulit-in, nor is clear that it will be a paid app just because "free" is mentioned. Stop spreading bullshit, Jesus people.

ffvorax

So You have to pay for online now like other services, plus to pay for an app of voice chat? :\
This doesn't make any sense...

EDIT:
So it is included in the service? Now make sense :)

Online is always a fuck-up for Nintendo. Get the old boys out and some new minds in. The only way I think they'll change for the better.

Bobby-Hill-Shakes-Head-Bikes-Away-King-of-the-Hill.gif

I can't believe you have to use a Smartphone app. Like it has to be built into the console, and this is just an optional extra method, right?

Crossing Eden

Hello, my name is Yves Guillemot, Vivendi S.A.'s Employee of the Month!
It's not clear that the Switch won't have the same features bulit-in, nor is clear that it will be a paid app just because "free" is mentioned. Stop spreading bullshit, Jesus people.
"A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017" is incredibly specific wording.

Kathian

Banned
That's fine. Suggests you can do type tap too which is a clean way to do it. Also it's part of the subscription.

Still depends on he price. Ninty can't expect to charge Live/PSN levels.

EVH

This sounds so stupid and crappy that actually believe Nintendo could try to convince us is the best way.

Trojita

it's the information that they provided in their section on online play and voice chat.

If you want to blame someone, blame Nintendo for providing this confusing or lack of information.

majik13

Im guessing it would be part of the paid online service.

And the free online trial with be the free version of this app.

FB messenger or gchat could do this, surely.

Why no system-only voice chat? When you have to use your cell phone to set up an online match with your shiny new portable, don't you just say fuck it and game on the phone?

jonno394

If you check the online multiplayer sheet Nintendo released, the app is included as part of the subscription service.

8AorVPc.png

so it is free in a sense, cost included in the sub fee (i think)

Hoo-doo

Banned
That means having to futz around with your damn phone on speaker while playing games.

What a profoundly backwards strategy. Voicechat should be mandatory these days, especially when your handheld has a generic ass 3.5mm connector.

Trojita

If you check the online multiplayer sheet Nintendo released, the app is included as part of the subscription service.

8AorVPc.png

so it is free in a sense, cost included in the sub fee (i think)

Thanks for the clarification.

EDarkness

This sounds really stupid.

Yeah, this baffles me. No idea why they would have people get a separate app for this when they can just do it in-game. Unless they're thinking everyone has a smart phone already, so no point in wasting resources on this in the OS. Just a strange decision. I'll hold off getting really pissed about it until they explain in detail how this is going to work and if this same functionality will work on the unit itself. I'm not downloading another app for my phone/iPad for this. Just ain't happening.

A free, limited version of this app will be available for download in summer 2017.

Wait what?? You need to pay for online mp AND the app for voice chat? Am I reading correctly?

This is fucking insane if true.

Editted: Oh never mind then the app is part of the online service. But still insane we need a phone to chat (duh?)

So, this thread has no new information then?

grebby

Of course, it is 2017 and Nintendo still just doesn't get it when it comes to online services. If this ends up being true and there is no Switch built-in voice chat (absolutely insane I have to even say that) and it also ends up being a paid app then Nintendo has managed to surprise me with how badly they fucked up the online service for Switch.

hughesta

Banned
I'm gonna guess that this "lobby" system or w/e is also called an app on the Switch itself, and that's lending to a lot of confusion

if their online service is seriously relegated to a completely separate device than l m a o that is the stupidest thing they've ever done

Fucking hell. Even if this was poorly worded, why the fuck would they be so vague about in the first place? If you're going to force paid subscriptions the very first thing you need to do is to instill confidence with a thorough explanation of features. None of this "it's a secret for later" bs

Top Bottom