• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Siliconera: Super Bomberman R made by internal former Hudson devs + Hexadrive

http://www.siliconera.com/2017/01/13/super-bomberman-r-is-being-made-by-former-bomberman-staff/

As for when led to its development, was told that both Nintendo and Konami came together to help make it happen in the first place, and the team responsible is comprised of Konami's internal team, which is comprised of former Hudson folk who worked on past Bomberman games, and Hexadrive (Final Fantasy Type-0 HD and The 3rd Birthday).

I guess those Hudson folks decided to stick around rather than go to ND Cube? Maybe they're also responsible for those mobile Bomberman games over the years after the closure.

Also the game will be 4GB, with price being confirmed next week apparently. Again it's also being released at retail.

robotrock

Banned
I hear this game has performance issues? Hexadrive is usually pretty good about making sure their games perform well.

I tried to spread the gospel in line at GameStop this morning. I made four or five converts for the church of Bomberman.
Preorders weren't open :(

In Hudson's name, who died for Konami's sins, amen.

I'm fucking hyped for this. New retail Bomberman in 2017.

Seik

Banned
I can't believe we're getting a new, official Bomberman game in 2017. :')

Reminds me of good old days when I discovered BM by playing Bomberman GB on Gameboy, long love story with the franchise followed after that.

Please be good, it seems good from what I saw in the trailer, but in the end, a trailer is a trailer.

Day fucking one...? I have fond memories of playing Bomberman as a kid, but have no idea if it holds up at all. Especially without being able to yell at friends (this has online multiplayer, right?).

Kinda interested, kinda thinking I'll end up getting it on sale and finding out nobody plays it anymore and regretting the purchase while secretly feeling some bizarre and incredibly undeserved sense of achievement in supporting Bomberman, a franchise and character where my affinity for them is oddly greater than my enjoyment of the actual games.

EricB

I have to question why a software developer of any significant talent would choose to stick around at Konami. And if they are still around, what is Konami doing with them? Surely making some games and releasing them is more profitable than making no games and not releasing them. Do they seriously keep around game developers only to have them
working in roles other than game developement? I know they do this in Korea a
lot, but when we are talking about legendary
developement teams it just seems tragic.

Either way, I'm glad this game managed to slip through Konami's shields and past their tractor beam. Hopefully more (good) games follow.

I wish we could get a remake of Bomberman 64 but I'll take this...If its $30 to $40. $60 seems too much for something like this unless its packed to the brim with content!

Randomizer

I have to question why a software developer of any significant talent would choose to stick around at Konami. And if they are still around, what is Konami doing with them? Surely making some games and releasing them is more profitable than making no games and not releasing them. Do they seriously keep around game developers only to have them
working in roles other than game developement? I know they do this in Korea a
lot, but when we are talking about legendary
developement teams it just seems tragic.
They are releasing this and Metal Gear Survive(lol). There is always a chance for redemption, they have too many great IP's for me to fully give up hope. I'm probably just fooling myself but this game is a move in the right direction.

Hero

Excellent to hear. Hopefully they can some former Hudson devs to work on the next Mario Party game. :)

Savitar

Seeing Bomberman made me smile, I thought the franchise was dead and buried. Part me of thought so due to the game style and partly because....well....Bomber Man in this day and age might you know, freak some out if they saw the title.

It's the closest thing to make me want to get a Switch but that price.....that price......

Anyone play this yet? Giant Bomb said it ran really poorly, Treehouse video seemed fine.

I have some strong affection for Bomberman back in the day so I will get this if it's worth getting.

Definitely getting this Day 1 even if I don't buy the system. I just have a funny feeling that this isn't going to last long in the marketplace (assuming low print run), plus the game looks really nice.

majik13

This cant be more than 20. Especially for something thats mostly for local MP only.
I really want this game, but then I remember that I no longer have friends around.

Emitan

The Treehouse stream had a really weird isometric camera angle. I hope there's an option for a top down view.

Anyone play this yet? Giant Bomb said it ran really poorly, Treehouse video seemed fine.

I have some strong affection for Bomberman back in the day so I will get this if it's worth getting.

Couple 8-4 Play guys played Bomberman and said it was fun. Didn't mention any performance issues.

I haven't played a new Bomberman game in so long. I watched the Treehouse footage and it stirred up some feelings in me.

I think I'll pick this one up.

AmyS

Gamasutra's interview with Hudson's Toshiyuki Takahashi (aka Takahashi-Meijin) back in October 2008.

http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132195/the_game_master_speaks_hudsons_.php
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132195/the_game_master_speaks_hudsons_.php?page=2
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132195/the_game_master_speaks_hudsons_.php?page=3
http://www.gamasutra.com/view/feature/132195/the_game_master_speaks_hudsons_.php?page=4

Was it Hudson that decided to bring you back to the front lines of Hudson marketing again? You were a little bit under the radar for a while, and now you're much more in the forefront in Japan.

TM: They weren't intentionally going to hide me. When Sony and Sega were coming out [with the PlayStation and Saturn], the executives at Hudson made a judgment about which one we would aim for. Hudson executives thought that Sega would probably do well, which turned out to be the opposite.

Our games were more toward the fun type of games, rather than to show off the graphics and eye-catching things. The era was more toward that high-powered CG style back then. That's why Hudson wasn't really quite going with the mainstream at that time.

But now, with Nintendo's new consoles and all that, the fun gameplay is brought up again, with playing with other people -- like in Bomberman, for example. That's why our strength is going to be recognized once again right now.

Just as an aside, I've talked to friends in Japan who said that if you ran for prime minister, every male in Japan who is my age would vote for you.

Also, there is some great history in these articles by EDGE and NEXT Generation.

5JYScep.jpg

lobfzPe.jpg

FR4Nahq.jpg

U.S. NEXT Generation version of the EDGE article:

I will be paying attention to what reviewers say about the game. Impressions from Giant Bomb and Digital Foundry have been less than stellar saying it didn't run well, only ran at 30 fps, and was sub-1080p in dock mode.

Sub 1080p and 30 fps don't bother me though so long as it runs smooth and is fun I am all in.

Lucifon

Price being confirmed next week makes me wonder if any other games are also waiting on price confirmations. Currently the software lineup prices are insane in the UK for games they don't warrant normal full price let alone inflated full prices.

I'm also wondering if there are other Indies / downloadable games / virtual console titles to be ready for the launch to support the pretty embarrassingly small launch lineup - it would make a lot of sense!

javadoze

Ex-Hudson devs and Hexadrive made this? I feel like this is either more involved on Konami's part or a rush job seeing what Hexadrive delivered in the past. That said, I hope it gets polished up before release. It's been far too long since the last true Bomberman game I've played.

Retail release has me interested :) love me so Bomberman. It's great to see the people who actually worked on the previous games going at it again, but I'm not sure how I feel about the ones who worked on Third Birthday and Type Zero...

majik13

There's a campaign that seems to be fairly expansive, and online play.

sure, but I dont think Bomberman has ever been known for a single player. But good to know its there. And online isnt really a plus yet, until we know more about there paid online service, I can imagine the online population wont be stellar.

My point was Bomberman only really shines in local MP, thats the main draw.

Gaspard

I wonder how local multiplayer works.

Can you have local 8 multiplayer via four Switches with 2 people on each Switch?

TreIII

*in.gif*

Been way too long, and I'm hoping that this lil deal Ninty and Konami have for the sake of Bomberman and Momotaro may extend to others in the catalog.

Just let the guys at Good Feel (Yoshi's Wooly World, Kirby Epic Yarn) get a chance to be reunited with Goemon/Mystical Ninja...please please please...!

wrowa

As for when led to its development, was told that both Nintendo and Konami came together to help make it happen in the first place (...)

I wonder if this is just marketing fluff or if Nintendo was indeed asking Konami to resurrect Bomberman. Nintendo's current relationship with Konami is kinda interesting after Nintendo brought Konami's Momotaro Dentetsu back from the dead and now seemingly working together with Konami on a Bomberman comeback.

I'm so glad we're getting an all-new retail Bomberman. It was disappointing that the 3DS ended up never getting one, but it seems like the wait will be worth it.

Top Bottom