• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Is NES Classic getting discontinued in February?

Status
Not open for further replies.
So... Great console. Great demand. Great PR by Nintendo. Great way to generate hype for the brand.

Was this just there to generate hype for Switch? I want this console way more than Switch. I lined up for it day one only to be told the guy ahead of me is the last guy getting it. I saw the console in someone's hand walking out of the store, and asked him if I can see it because "This may be the first and only time I see it". I wish it was a joke.

Ever since, I've seen searching for it. Nintendo has ruined me. I don't give a fuck about Nintendo Switch (Preordered it though cause F.U. Nintendo!) but I have a sweet spot for NES Classic. And yet... It feels like it's being discontinued.

Why am I saying that?

1. Nintendo Canada rep at an EB Games (falsely?) store stated that it's being discontinued on February.

2. EB Games Canada just took the listing down.

3. It hasn't been on sale online for over a week/month.

4. Amazon has not added anymore in stock.

5. Nintendo want more preorders for Switch.

6. The console got hacked and Nintendo hates that more than copyright infringements.

So my question is, is it getting discontinued to make room for Switch? I know Reggie stated they're making more, but those are sold in such small quantities that I might as well find a needle in a haystack.

Bonus question: Anyone willing to sell it to me for MSRP + shipping? I don't want to pay scalpers $200+.

N.Domixis

Banned
It better not, still waiting to buy it online or in stores, will never be a dumbass that buys it 3 to 4 times its original price.

Zooport

Neo Member
I doubt it, Reggie said supply will continue to satisfy demand.

https://www.wired.com/2017/01/reggie-fils-aime-nintendo-interview/

What happened with NES Classic is that was a situation where the global demand was well in excess of anything we had anticipated, and that’s what created shortages. The good news, at least for consumers in the Americas, is we’re going to continue to make the NES Classic available. With the ongoing level of supply, the ongoing demand is going to be met. We know the concern.

LOL all your evidence is false claims and it not coming back in stock Considering the clusterfuck of the release, you shouldn't be shocked that it's not popping up as in stock online...

And LMAO at people ditching the switch for a $60 NES with mediocre emulation. These aren't stealing sales from each other.

BocoDragon

or, How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Realize This Assgrab is Delicious
I find it hard to believe. Like Amiibo, it might take some time, but they'll restock.

Beartruck

If at this point you told me the NES classic mini was an elaborate prank I'd believe you. It might as well not even exist for as scarce as it is.

Kouriozan

Stores are still getting new stock, as long as it instantly sell out everytime there will be new stock, production is just super super slow.

sphinx

the piano man
here in my city in Germany I still have to see one unit in the wild in stores and amazon and ebay have it firmly in the 110~150 euro price range by 3rd parties, well above MSRP.

either demand is truly staggering or is about to be phased out.

RalchAC

Pretty sure it's already discontinued

This.

I mean. There was demand. It was a cool little device. The floodgates are open, people can dump more games in there. It's bound to sell well. It could be a nice little revenue stream yet it's sold out everywhere.

I just want one :(

EloquentM

aka Mannny
This.

I mean. There was demand. It was a cool little device. The floodgates are open, people can dump more games in there. It's bound to sell well. It could be a nice little revenue stream yet it's sold out everywhere.

I just want one :(
There will be more...

cyba89

here in my city in Germany I still have to see one unit in the wild in stores and amazon and ebay have it firmly in the 110~150 euro price range by 3rd parties, well above MSRP.

either demand is truly staggering or is about to be phased out.

Amazon.de had a new batch up yesterday with delivery date January 30th. Saturn earlier this week too I think.

I hope not. A local store (here in europe) recently changed expected on stock from sometime in may, to sometime in february, so I hope that means that more are coming soon.

gray_fox224

was going to purchase the Famicom mini and once I heard that it outputted at 720p rather than 1080, I decided against it.

kunonabi

I just want the controller but i guess even that is too much to ask for when it comes to Nintendo.

The fact that the controller is like $200+ on ebay while I was able to buy a Japanese Club Nintendo exclusive SFC classic controller for like 40$ is bloody ridiculous.

PSFan

huh? I'm having plenty of fun with it :p

image.php

eFKac

I doubt it, my shop (Poland) has a backorder for the next big shipment of NES Classics dated for April.

0racle

This would be underrepresented.

But then again....Nintendo.

I may REALLY be over thinking it here and it would be rather sinister to do so as a company but....

Maybe the NES classic was meant to get people talking about "Nintendo" again? The NES classic did and *may* have done the following for the company;

-hottest item at christmas
-overwhelming demand for nostalgic reasons, 30+ year olds want it for themselves and for their kid
-the lack of NES classic instils fear of lack switch product, therefore pre orders sell out, hopefully to fans but more than likely scalpers
- the switch will be easier to find that NES classic, what a segway into their online system that includes NES/SNES games.....the only alternative since you get find a NES classic.....

Overall it seems VERY fishy that they are still so hard to come by. If an EB rep said this...then there is always some truth to every rumour. It would be insanity to even mention they are going to be discontinued if they are flying off the shelf the moment they come in, so to me means he heard something along those lines.

I bet Nintendo will release a statement that they wanted to focus production on switch unites due to "unparalleled" demand, to further boost their sales.

G0523

It's definitely not discontinued but watch, come December 2017, you'll see NES Classics well stocked everywhere. Same situation happened with amiibo.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom