• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

TouchSense, a haptic technology, will be implemented in the Switch's touchscreen

http://www.digitaltrends.com/gaming/immersion-nintendo-bring-touchsense-tech-to-switch/

This seems to have gone mostly unnoticed:
"Immersion announced on Friday that it signed a multi-year deal with Nintendo to bring its patented technology to the Switch. The technology, once adapted to the Nintendo Switch console, will assist design efforts by giving developers access to the TouchSense software suite. According to the press release, ”Immersion's TouchSense software will help developers provide immersive touch-based gaming controls to players around the world."

"TouchSense technology makes touchscreen controls come alive, giving users the sense that they are touching physical buttons. It can be expected that when Switch developers gain greater control over touchscreen development with TouchSense technology, gameplay experiences on the Switch will become more refined and imemersive."

Time to find out what a goomba feels like in Super Mario Maker

Edit: Wait until Nintendo announce it before taking it as fact

Haven't most of the hands-on impressions stated that none of the games present actually use any sort of touch controls? I wonder why Nintendo is shying away from this feature (if true).

LordRaptor

This is neat.

Must not be utilized by anything yet, hence why no one is talking about it.

I don't believe any touchscreen-oriented titles have been shown at all

e:
Haven't most of the hands-on impressions stated that none of the games present actually use any sort of touch controls? I wonder why Nintendo is shying away from this feature (if true).

Yeah, this.
My best guess would be not to give console warriors more ammo confuse the message that it is primrily a 'traditional' gaming device, not a tablet with a couple of bundled bluetooth controllers

Yo shit this is quite big. Can't believe they said nothing about it at the event.

With the amount of new info coming out (like this and all the new game announcements) it almost feels like they're planning to have one more direct or conference before the launch.

I really hope they do.

Dishy

Unconfirmed Member
Nice! This reminds me of the 3D-ForceTouch tech Apple is using in their new iPhones which is a revelation IMO.

Great to hear.

edit: beaten by VertPin :p

kami_sama

Wait, what?
I take two things from this, one, Nintendo is ass talking about the characteristics of the Switch, and two, the Switch is an awesome piece of technology.

random25

Super Mario Run with "button" controls on the screen???

Now let's look at how this thing will be implemented in the future. So far, no games have dedicated touch screen controls for the Switch that I'm aware of.

Eh ? Why haven't they talked about that ?

Probably because no game is currently using it to show its proof of concept.

Zemm

Because it won't work when docked which is why it's going to end up being useless

My guess is there will be touchscreen only games at some point, and they will almost certainly be eShop/digital only titles. Smartphone game ports most likely.

With the amount of new info coming out (like this and all the new game announcements) it almost feels like they're planning to have one more direct or conference before the launch.

I really hope they do.

Yeah that has to be another event before launch, we have a Fire Emblem direct in a few days so maybe they'll give us another Direct date in that.

iavi

So this is like Apple Taptic Engine? Fucking awesome. Haptic Feedback in the IPhone7 is best-in-class. If this comes close it's gonna be awesome

EVH

Amazing that supossedly Nintendo delayed the Switch launch to be more prepared regarding software and other stuff and yet they made this colossal crap of presentation with little info on even prices and stuff like this.

The Real Abed

Perma-Junior
I still can't believe this is coming out in the beginning of March. Like not even two months away. And we are still learning shit about it.

Dragbolt

So not only are the Joycons packed with amazingly weird tech like HD Rumble, even the screen has interesting haptic stuff going on. Next thing you know the Switch has the cure for cancer.

Fredrik

Is this true? Seems weird that they barely even mentioned the touch screen if they've included haptic feedback.

elrohir

Neo Member
Maybe they didn't mention it so 3rd parties won't say: "Oh we won't port this game because it won't make sense without adding that special touchSense experience...and so far we have no idea how to implement it in our games."

Top Bottom