• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

(WIRED) Nintendo: 2mil Switch to be shipped worldwide in March

Reggie has said that Nintendo will ship 2mil of their new console throughout March

2 million units that will be shipped worldwide for the launch, essentially through month one.

He says this is to combat the concern from NES Classic launch and how you apparently still can't get one in North America/EU etc. Also confirms that NES Classic will be getting more stock worldwide.

He also goes on to mention that they're doing this so anyone who wants a console on Day 1 can get one...but 2 million seems reaaaally low for that, worldwide, for a month, imo.

Two million for essentially the first month is a huge number, especially when you look and see that this is not peak seasonality. This is essentially the first three weeks of March. Our focus is making sure that the consumer who wants to buy a Nintendo Switch can buy a Nintendo Switch. That’s how we build our supply chain, that’s how we think through the amount of product that’s available

I know some people were wondering about the demand and didn't see any topic (searched Switch etc) but close if old

Source: Dualshockers + Wired

Ah, are they reconfirming this then? A month or two ago Kimishima mentioned that they would ship more if there was demand for it at launch (correct me if wrong).

Zalman

This is old news yes, but it has more meaning now that we know it's launching very early in March. I don't think they have high hopes for this thing out of the gate.

yurinka

Let's hope this is only the day one shipment and they have at least another 1 or 2 million shipment a couple of weeks after launch.

-shadow-

I'll expect absolutely nothing and will see how things will happen. I have zero faith in Nintendo, so it can only be good in that case.

lenovox1

This is old news yes, but it has more meaning now that we know it's launching very early in March. I don't think they have high hopes for this thing out of the gate.

If they sell through, it would be stronger numbers than the 3DS's March launch.l, would it not?

Let's hope this is only the day one shipment and they have at least another 1 or 2 million shipment a couple of weeks after launch.

I'd hope so but sounds like this is it until April. Even if people think the price is high I feel like a 2 million launch is fairly conservative.

This is a new article. It's fine that you created this thread.

And if you didn't know, I'm sure someone else that frequents these boards didn't either.

Ah, ok. C heers :)

This could probably still happen. GameStop is apparently trying to secure more launch units.

Ah yes, I saw that earlier. Wonder if they'll manufacture more or reallocate supply based on regional demand. 250,000 on the waiting list for one retailer in one region seems like a lot.

They missed christmas, so I see why they're doing this. I think 3M would be better, but to be fair that's with the benefit of hindsight seeing this sold out everywhere for preorders.

Very unlikely to step up production in any significant way 45 days before the launch considering the logistics.

Probably true for launch, but we're talking all of March. Though I did say "launch units" when referring to GS, when I meant "launch month units". My mistake.

Lifeline

For comparison:

2 Million Xbox One's were sold 18 days after launch, up to 3 Million a month and a half after launch
4.2 Million PS4's were sold a month and a half after launch
3.06 Million Wii U's were sold a month and half after launch

Mariolee

For comparison:

2 Million Xbox One's were sold 18 days after launch, up to 3 Million a month and a half after launch
4.2 Million PS4's were sold a month and a half after launch

And those are WW numbers yes? In addition, as Reggie stated March isn't exactly the greatest market season especially when usually consoles launch in the holiday season. I suppose this number makes sense.

Lifeline

And those are WW numbers yes? In addition, as Reggie stated March isn't exactly the greatest market season especially when usually consoles launch in the holiday season. I suppose this number makes sense.

Worldwide. I wouldn't be surprised if there are supply constraints, even the Wii U managed to sell 3 million the first month and a half of launch.

lenovox1

I think the best comparison is still the 3DS to be honest.

I looked it up. The 3DS was only sold the last week of March in the Americas, Europe, and Australia/NZ. And even then, it hit 3.51 million.

So, yes, Nintendo is being very conservative. Those looking for it in March may not be able to find it.

I looked it up. The 3DS was only sold the last week of March in the Americas, Europe, and Australia/NZ. And even then, it hit 3.51 million.

So, yes, Nintendo is being very conservative. Those looking for it in March may not be able to find it.

Are those shipped or sold-through numbers? Because 3DS systems languished on shelves from launch day forward. They were everywhere. I worked retail at the time and at launch, we got around 30 units in and sold less than 10 the first day.

Kacho

Gold Member

Yup. Can't blame them either after the Wii U. Seeing stores with pallets full of consoles not selling is never a good look.

Guymelef

PS3 sold 600,000 units in its first two days in Europe (March)
PS4 sold 322,083 at launch week in Japan (February)

lenovox1

Are those shipped or sold-through numbers? Because 3DS systems languished on shelves from launch day forward. They were everywhere. I worked retail at the time and at launch, we got around 30 units in and sold less than 10 the first day.

Oops, 3.61 million and, apparently, sold through.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Nintendo_3DS_sales#Launch

Though, the source article on the Wiki page isn't working any more.

Nintendo projected 4 million sold, so they massively overshipped.

I think 3 million would be the right amount to ship in March if they can. It would leave ample stock while not over shipping. 2 million is going to leave Nintendo a little short.

3.61m shipped worldwide that quarter.
3DS_EU

I don't know about sales everywhere, but it did make it over 800K in Japan.
launch

2.5-3m might've been better. I'd go 2.5m.

At least they can see where the sales are and supply those supply constrained areas first after launch.

spekkeh

Banned
That's too low to meet demand, and probably on purpose. Then again, after overstuffing the Wii U supply and having it be a ball around their neck for the subsequent three years I can't really blame them.

Top Bottom