• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Zelda: BoTW Wii U requires 3 GB install.

axisofweevils

Holy crap! Today's real megaton is that more than two people can have the same first name.
https://www.nintendo.co.jp/zelda/products.html via http://nintendoeverything.com/zelda...i-u-retail-version-comes-with-a-3-gb-install/

Last week, Nintendo shared the file sizes for Zelda: Breath of the Wild on both Switch and Wii U. Both are pretty similar. On Switch, Zelda is a 13.4 GB download while the Wii U version is 13 GB.

The page now includes an additional note specifically about the game on Wii U. For those who plan on playing the physical version, some game data will need to be installed. More than 3 GB of space is needed in the console’s storage or USB storage device. It seems that USB memory devices (memory stick) can’t be used.

jacobeid

Banned
Thanks. I will make sure that I have the space.

Edit: just checked and I have 3245 MB free. Let's see how this goes haha.

Kouriozan

Downloaded the data pack for Xenoblade X already, 3GB is not a lot so I'm fine with it (if I pick up the Wii U version)

jax

Banned
Read the thread title and panicked about mandatory Switch installs for a second then realized it says Wii U. -whew-

Vena

I guess this also confirms that the Switch has read speeds greater than optical. It needs no install.

Tagg9

Wow. The first Wii U game with a mandatory install is also its last. Crazy.

I was about to disagree with this, but then I can't find any other announced WiiU games that will get a physical release in 2017. Crazy.

As someone that will likely be purchasing this game for WiiU, I'm glad to hear this should minimize (eliminate?) loading times.

Tambini

Anyone with a 8GB Wii U and no hard drive better check their storage now, the system updates take up a bunch of room so you'll most likely have to delete some stuff to get over 3gb free.

With hardly anything on there apart from save games I have 3.4gb free...

LotusHD

Banned
Anyone with a 8GB Wii U and no hard drive better check their storage now, the system updates take up a bunch of room so you'll most likely have to delete some stuff to get over 3gb free.

With hardly anything on there apart from save games I have 3.4gb free...

Yea my Wii U is 8 GB, so I would've had to go through that I guess. Fortunately I've already said fuck it, prefer to get the Switch version instead.

Sounds good. 3GB is little compared to X

Yeah but on X they actual had separate packs for different things.

Basic High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for greatest impact on your experience, download this pack first
High impact to load times
Installs frequently used data, such as terrain to speed up load times in the city and field.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with one or more of the other data packs below.
Size: 2011.0 MB

Enemy High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who like to explore and fight enemies
Medium impact to load times
Installs frequently used data in the field, such as enemy data.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack.
Size: 2937.5 MB

Player High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who like to complete lots of missions
Medium impact to load times
Installs the data for character graphics and equipment to speed up load times in the city and when you change equipment.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack
Size: 3867.1 MB

Skell High-Speed Data Loading Pack - for players who own and like to customize Skells
Low impact to load times
Installs data for skell graphics to speed up load times in the city and field as well as when loading skell data.
For greater load-time improvement, use in conjunction with the Basic data pack
Size: 1675.1 MB

The basic data pack was like 2GB.

Xdrive05

Definitely for performance reasons, but interesting that it's only 3gb. I wonder what exactly that is. Surely all the textures in the game are more than that, no? I mean what's the other 10gb then?

Artdayne

I just bought a Wii U just so I could play Zelda. I haven't had a Nintendo since the Super Nintendo, hopefully the game lives up to the hype.

goldenpp72

Definitely for performance reasons, but interesting that it's only 3gb. I wonder what exactly that is. Surely all the textures in the game are more than that, no? I mean what's the other 10gb then?

Voice work and music will likely take a decent chunk if I had to guess, while the world in Zelda is big, it doesn't look THAT varied. I think Skyrim on 360 was under 10GB as example, so you never know.

The 3GB will be common assets that the game loads and unloads often - certain sounds, enemies, textures, and other assets.

The other 10GB left on the disc will be less commonly used assets, lower priority like cutscenes, linear dungeons, and longer music files.

This could also be similar to GTA5 on the 360 which used the disc concurrently with the installed content on the hard drive. This increased read speed further.

Voice work and music will likely take a decent chunk if I had to guess, while the world in Zelda is big, it doesn't look THAT varied. I think Skyrim on 360 was under 10GB as example, so you never know.

Nintendo does uncompressed surround sound, I suspect that has a part in this. Skyrim is a crazy case of asset reuse - Bethesda's entire dev process is built around not creating new assets if another can be mutated in some way to fit the purpose.

Top Bottom