• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

I just finished TLG and I'm a bawling mess. Help? (No spoilers)

BruceCLea

Banned
So I just finished the game 5 minutes ago and I can't stop crying. IDK why. This has never happened to me with a video game. I just grew with the characters so much. The frustrations with Trico, then the eventual love for him. The hardships of the boy.

I think it's the music. The music tore me apart. This game is just a piece of art. It's not perfect but Ueda-san is a genius. This game is just so personal. It causes so many emotions...frustration, anger, sadness, happiness, awe, wonder, loneliness, terror, weakness. It's a great representation of life.

Again it's not perfect but I've never felt this way with a game before. There were moments when I wanted to quit but I didn't. And I'm glad I finished the game. I think it's important for people to finish this game.

It's quite a remarkable achievement.

Papacheeks

Banned
So I just finished the game 5 minutes ago and I can't stop crying. IDK why. This has never happened to me with a video game. I just grew with the characters so much. The frustrations with Trico, then the eventual love for him. The hardships of the boy.

I think it's the music. The music tore me apart. This game is just a piece of art. It's not perfect but Ueda-san is a genius. This game is just so personal. It causes so many emotions...frustration, anger, sadness, happiness, awe, wonder, loneliness, terror, weakness. It's a great representation of life.

Again it's not perfect but I've never felt this way with a game before. There were moments when I wanted to quit but I didn't. And I'm glad I finished the game. I think it's important for people to finish this game.

Did you wait after the credits?

That shit legit made me get really emotional and happy at the same time, that music though. You hear it and it's so beautiful.

BadWolf

It really is an amazing game, Trico and the boy really grow on you and the feels are just all over the place.

bluexy

Legit, The Last Guardian makes you care about that danged Trico so much. But I think the most remarkable thing is that it makes you feel like that danged Trico genuinely cares about you too.

Fumito Ueda = wizard?

ghibli99

It hit me in the feels, although I don't think any game has ever made me cry uncontrollably. The way this game captures the essence of what it means to care about and be connected with something though... it's pretty damn unmatched.

Cess007

It's like having a pet
and in the end letting him go. If you were able to connect with Trico by the end, the game just wrecks you. The last line of the boy always hits me: "And that's how it ended. Our extraordinary story"

I know exactly how you feel OP. I was a mess for like 2 days after finishing it, it really fucked me up like nothing else ever did. Just wallow in it for a while, it'll pass.

Fireblend

Banned
Seriously I was also a mess during the final minutes. Glad you enjoyed it as well OP. It's really a remarkable game and Trico is an achievement in making a video game character feel like they're an entity outside of the experience of the game, if that makes sense; no spoilers but some of the stuff that happens during the endgame had my stomach turning. Many feelings were experienced that afternoon.

I didn't cry but definitely felt emotional - pain, relief, happiness, sadness the lot especially being a pet owner you can relate to the frustration and the sheer joy of animals.

Far from perfect game, mainly camera issues but all is forgiven as it really is a once in a generation game.

It's funny. 1 hour before the ending, I was complaining about the AI, 10 min before the ending my heart wouldn't stop beating rapidly because of what was happening. The second the credits started my tears were trying to come out like crazy. Something that hasn't happened since Clannad After Life.

Kinyou

The way Trico is animated is simply amazing. I cant think of a character that ever felt so tangible. I constantly spotted movements that were so much like the one from my dog or cat.

Y2Kev

TLG Fan Caretaker Est. 2009
Hate to tell you but it doesn't get that much better. Time has dulled the impact obviously but I feel an intense sadness just thinking about the game nearly two months later. It's just a masterwork in visual and mechanical storytelling.

sn00zer

Didn't have this reaction at all but SotC hit me like a brick. I think with TLG I had more emotions playing the game rather than the actual ending. A lot of surprisingly intense things happen leading to the climax that when it was over it was hard to cool down.

Smellycat

I-Know-That-Feel-Bro.jpg

I beat the game recently and I shed a few tears. It was beautiful! Same thing goes for Breath of The Wild's ending

Bronetta

Ask me about the moon landing or the temperature at which jet fuel burns. You may be surprised at what you learn.
Punished BruceCLea
A Fallen Trico-lover.

Prototype

TLG had zero effect on me. I was honestly expecting something more than Ico with a large animal. SotC stills reigns supreme as the best game he's made. TLG doesn't even come close.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
If you want to see something that is really going to get you good and I dont think many people know about. During the
after the credits scene hit the O button and watch what happens!
If you already beat the game you can find this on youtube.

BruceCLea

Banned
Ueda just gets the struggle of life to me.

You are this helpless little boy but you immediately love this creature. You're both isolated in this bizarre world that doesn't make any sense. You grow together, depend on one another...and then the ending.

It's just a special, special game.

Fireblend

Banned
Isn't it kind of a spoiler to put in the title that you're crying at the end of TLG?

I wouldn't say so. Having played it I can say it's emotionally draining and intense without revealing what sort of feeling triggered it and avoid turning it into a spoiler. Happy endings make me cry just as much as sad ones. It's all in the execution I think :p and TLG's is perfect.

Also yeah OP you did watch the
post-credits scene
right?

Dartastic

I wouldn't say so. Having played it I can say it's emotionally draining and intense without revealing what sort of feeling triggered it and avoid turning it into a spoiler. Happy endings make me cry just as much as sad ones. It's all in the execution I think :p and TLG's is perfect.

Also yeah OP you did watch the
post-credits scene
right?
Agreed. Game is a masterpiece. I cried too OP.

Trico entered the bro club which only the elite bros earn a place. Argo, solaire&siegmeyer & robo&frog to name a few. Great game that excelled even with the technical issues that were present.

People often say it's an unforgettable game, but you don't really realise to what extent until you've completed it for yourself. The ending and many of the events that precede it have definitely lingered on in my mind ever since.

reson8or

People often say it's an unforgettable game, but you don't really realise to what extent until you've completed it for yourself. The ending and many of the events that precede it have definitely lingered on in my mind ever since.

Exactly this. The way the game slowly builds and forms the bond between the player and Trico is masterful. Such a beautiful game.

OP, right there with you bud.

If you want to see something that is really going to get you good and I dont think many people know about. During the
after the credits scene hit the O button and watch what happens!
If you already beat the game you can find this on youtube.
I don't think you need to do anything during that scene. It just plays on automatically. Unless something happens I don't know about.
You're talking about the postponing scene where we see the boy as an adult, and the camera flies across the world to Trico when he lifts the shield,
right?

No, I haven't said anything about what happens.
Ok cool. I've already beaten it and I agree w your feelings but I wasn't expecting to feel like that at the end. It wasn't spoiled for me in a sense. Lol

Sorry, I just know I consider it a spoiler when someone tells me I'm gonna be sad at the end of a movie or game. Not major, but still.

I cried when
Trico got beat up by the other ones and he was weeping from the pain.
and then again after the credits.

Long time a game hasn't had influence on me like that. As you say, far from perfect but you can get very attached to the characters.

HStallion

Now what's the next step in your master plan?
I don't think you need to do anything during that scene. It just plays on automatically. Unless something happens I don't know about.
You're talking about the postponing scene where we see the boy as an adult, and the camera flies across the world to Trico when he lifts the shield,
right?

If you do what I say for that scene
Trico's horns will light up in the darkness

BruceCLea

Banned
Ok cool. I've already beaten it and I agree w your feelings but I wasn't expecting to feel like that at the end. It wasn't spoiled for me in a sense. Lol

Sorry, I just know I consider it a spoiler when someone tells me I'm gonna be sad at the end of a movie or game. Not major, but still.

Yeah, I get what you're saying. It just was a really intense experience for me. I don't know why. I knew the game was nearing it's end and it still crushed me.

Kremzeek

if you want to play another game to "get the tears out", you should play BROTHERS A TALE OF TWO SONS.

(i would recommend going into that game blind.)

Brothers_A_Tale_of_Two_Sons_cover_art.jpg

I shed a tear or two I'm not afraid to say, I was in love with this game since the original trailer and I'm glad I got to play it and that it turned out so well. Beautiful game.

I will NEVER forget this game. One of the most memorable, emotional experiences I've ever had with a video game. Or almost any form of media, for that matter.

OP, I did the same. Nothing to be ashamed of. I wasn't as much of a mess as with To The Moon, though, so I guess there's that.

Teared up at the part when
Trico was trying to revive the boy

Lost it at the part when
an all beat-up Trico sticks his head through the window to check on the boy after the final boss part.

And then at the very, very end,
it was total waterworks show once Trico's eyes lit up in the cave. I had my fingers crossed during that whole epilogue sequence, just kept telling myself "This better freaking end the way I think it's going to..." Huge grin on my face when "The End" comes up, tears of happiness by that point.

Top Bottom