• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Reggie confirms there are no more first party Wii U games coming after Zelda: BotW

Dystify

From the Polygon interview:
Reggie said:
”From a first-party standpoint, there's no new development coming after the launch of the legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild," he said. ”We really are at the end of life for Wii U."

So (maybe) the best Wii U game may also be its last. Not a bad way to end.

It's unclear what happened to Project Giant Robot, but Miyamoto did state that they have not yet decided to turn it into a full game back in March of last year.

LordKano

Also :
“From our standpoint, sunsetting is quite some time into the future. The ongoing activity from an online standpoint on [Mario] Kart and Splatoon is significant. We're going to continue to support that.”

maxcriden

Original post:

Ah, so much for Kimishima-san's comments in 2015, then. :/

Edit:

I may have to walk back my post above.

Here's the quote I was referring to:

He acknowledges the Wii U’s problems, but says the company intends to keep making software for the console

“As you know within the game business momentum is key,” says Kimishima when I ask how long the Wii U will remain a core Nintendo platform. “When you have momentum, whether it’s a platform or software, sales increase. At this point in the Wii U lifespan, we’re looking at 10 million sell-through for the hardware itself, which is just about a tenth of what we sold overall for Wii.”

“What I want to do, I think our first job right now is to make sure that the customers, those 10 million customers who have a Wii U at home have software to play. And we need to make sure that they are satisfied with their purchase and continue to enjoy playing on this platform. So we can’t just abandon them and say ‘Hey, it’s time to move on to the next thing.’ Of course we are working on NX and looking at the experiences we can bring to that platform. But first our job at this point is to support the consumers who have purchased Wii U and make sure that they have software experiences available to them.”

http://time.com/4131306/nintendo-kimishima-interview/

Hmm, maybe this isn't the right quote, or maybe I misremembered? To be fair to him Wii U did get more software titles since this. So, was there a time he or someone at Nintendo said even with Switch Wii U would still get supported? Maybe I misread, misunderstood or misremembered.

mocoworm

Very sad for Wii-U owners.

Onwards and upwards, eh?

I have a Switch on pre-order but it doesn't really instill confidence that Nintendo are going to see this thing through properly based on how they have treated the Wii-U and the people who invested in it.

tauroxd

Understandable and expected but like you said, it is a good way to end. No matter how good or bad the game end up being (I like to judge it after playing it to the end, and not a second before), the last game for the console will be the one many people, including me, bought the system for.

Trago

Onwards and upwards, eh?

I have a Switch on pre-order but it doesn't really instill confidence that Nintendo are going to see this thing through properly based on how they have treated the Wii-U.

What, if the Wii U bombs they'll just keep developing 3DS exclusive software? Doubt it. Switch is the main Nintendo platform moving forward for better or worse.

Pinky

Banned
Love my Wii U, but this isn't shocking. Continuing to make games for it is like buying new clothes for a dead person.

Berordn

Not that this is really a surprise... unlike 3DS which kept getting titles announced since the Switch reveal, Wii U's just been kind of lying there unconscious.

pvpness

Who was that one guy disappointed that Splatoon 2 wasn't coming to Wii U?

I don't care about Splatoon but I was holding out hope that Mario Odyssey was gonna hit Wii U eventually. Not because that makes sense or anything, I just don't wanna miss a Mario game. Lol.

Kebiinu

Banned
Imagine buying a Wii U at launch just for a shot at playing the latest Zelda? Lol. I love my Wii U, but I'm ready to move on!

mrmickfran

Twilight Princess was Nintendo's notable last GameCube game.

Skyward Sword was Nintendo's last notable Wii game.

And now Breath of the Wild will be Nintendo's last notable Wii U game.

Ridley327

Ah, so much for Kimishima-san's comments in 2015, then. :/

I don't think Kimishima was about to admit defeat for the Wii U back when it still had software coming to it, as minor as most of it turned out to be. You would be hard-pressed to find many instances of first parties cutting bait publically on hardware before a successor is out.

As far as I can think, only Sony did that with the Vita.

AGoodODST

Onwards and upwards, eh?

I have a Switch on pre-order but it doesn't really instill confidence that Nintendo are going to see this thing through properly based on how they have treated the Wii-U and the people who invested in it.

What? How could they have treated the Wii U any better than they have? It's been dead since launch and they continued to support it with games. They even state here they are keeping online games up and running.

Nerazar

For how long I wonder.... they'll want people to make the jump to switch.

Good point. Maybe until MK8 Deluxe and Splatoon 2 hit the stores? Or when the paywall is raised on Switch?

I don't see them doing that forever either. 2017 will also be the year to shut down their servers for WiiU.

maxcriden

I don't think Kimishima was about to admit defeat for the Wii U back when it still had software coming to it, as minor as most of it turned out to be. You would be hard-pressed to find many instances of first parties cutting bait publically on hardware before a successor is out.

As far as I can think, only Sony did that with the Vita.

Please see my edit above. I may have spoken too soon. Regardless, I agree with you. My only concern was whether Kimishima-san specifically said Wii U would get support after Switch (née NX) launched, but I may have been mistaken about thinking he said that.

Oh, and I will say I think Nintendo did an exemplary job supporting Wii U for its lifespan on the shelves, far beyond what they needed to.

What? How could they have treated the Wii U any better than they have? It's been dead since launch and they continued to support it with games. They even state here they are keek online games up and running.

I'm not the person you were responding to, but I wanted to say I completely agree with you. As I said just above I think Nintendo did superlative work in supporting the Wii U as they did.

Onwards and upwards, eh?

Nah, it's a different situation, they announced too many big games for Switch to not see this thing through. And there will be more announcements in the coming months to E3. It won't be only the Wii U successor ;)

Still relevant, replace the Gamecube with the Wii U

061218.jpg

Top Bottom