• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Switch Game Prices getting lower in the UK

bomblord1

Banned
Shortly after reducing the recommended retail price of The Legend of Zelda: Breath of the Wild in the UK following consumer criticism, Nintendo is continuing its Switch pricing realignment in the country.

A number of first-party titles, including Mario Kart 8 Deluxe, 1-2-Switch and Arms, which were initially priced between £49.99 and £59.99, are now available to pre-order from numerous retailers for £44.99, £34.99 and £49.99, respectively. These new RRPs bring each game closer in line to its US counterpart.

http://powerupgaming.co.uk/2017/01/19/nintendo-continues-switch-pricing-rethink-in-the-uk/

Didn't see a thread

That's good for gaffers in the UK I would say.

JimboJones

This usually happens, especially with amazon and other online retailers, expect to still get shafted by GAME though lol.

Jofamo

... I don't think this is Nintendo's doing, as the article implies. Nintendo suggests a price, and the retailers set it. If the retailer drops the price, that's down to them, no? I mean, Zelda is still £59.99 on the Nintendo UK store. 1 2 Switch is still £39.99 there too.

Oersted

It's not for me personally. It is for the wider market. Nintendo is a nonentity in the UK.

Screen_Shot_2017-01-12_at_10.15.00.png

I know its you, but still, don't go too hyperbolic

Robin64

Are they really the RRPs though? Or is it just a case of retailers doing what retailers do and selling them cheaper?

Because the official Nintendo UK store still has Mario Kart 8 and ARMS for £49.99 and 1 2 Switch for £39.99.

I know the article mentions an Amazon rep talking about Nintendo changing the RRP, but Nintendo don't set an RRP here, so... /shrug

Memory

This happens for every single game, no one sells at rrp and they all compete with the supermarkets who can afford to sell at a lower price.

redcrayon

Interestingly Amazon put the price of the WiiU copy of BotW up to £48, so there's only a £2 difference now. Big difference to £20 a couple of days ago.

Fevaweva

Screen_Shot_2017-01-12_at_10.15.00.png

I know its you, but still, don't go too hyperbolic

I can kind of understand what he is saying. When I walk into my local GAME store. 2 of the three walls, plus some of the shelves in it, are covered in Xbox and Playstation stuff. There is one single shelf dedicated to Nintendo, quarter is Wii U, one 3DS and the rest is Nintendo merchandise.

LordRaptor

Are they really the RRPs though? Or is it just a case of retailers doing what retailers do and selling them cheaper?

Because the official Nintendo UK store still has Mario Kart 8 and ARMS for £49.99 and 1 2 Switch for £39.99.

I know the article mentions an Amazon rep talking about Nintendo changing the RRP, but Nintendo don't set an RRP here, so... /shrug

RRP is like... wholesale price +30%.
Most retailers can live with a 20% margin, so knock 10% off immediately.
Online only retailers can live with a 10% margin, so undercut physical retail by a further 10%.

It doesn't really matter if Nintendo set an RRP, thats the rough pricing structure retailers will follow, but for a new product launch will try and sell at that 30% margin as long as everyone else is.
As soon as someone blinks first though...

milanbaros

Member?
British retailers tend to compete ruthlessly with each other and no manufacturer an set the retail price.

When you account for VAT UK prices tend to be some of the cheapest .

Easy_D

never left the stone age
If only they could do the same in Scandinavia. Unfortunately fucking Bergsala isn't gonna listen worth shit.

Lucifon

This was always going to happen. Dump RRP at first to be safe then when their stock prices are confirmed start to become competitive. Retailers being competitive leads to a snowball effect. Still mostly overpriced though just less insane.

jonno394

True, what people don't take into account is that UK prices have the tax included, whereas as I understand it, US prices have it added on at the checkout.

EURO prices do as well. Which is why i'm annoyed that we in the UK end up paying MUCH more for Bomberman than our continental friends (we pay the equivalent of €58 :mad:)

dh4niel

I've just noticed that the Wii U version has gone up to £48 since I preordered it earlier this week for £40 on Amazon UK.

I can kind of understand what he is saying. When I walk into my local GAME store. 2 of the three walls, plus some of the shelves in it, are covered in Xbox and Playstation stuff. There is one single shelf dedicated to Nintendo, quarter is Wii U, one 3DS and the rest is Nintendo merchandise.

30% shelfspace is not a "nonentity"

Occam

Nintendo can't change the price retailers are charging.

A more likely theory is that the number of preorders made the retailers rethink.

It may be possible that Nintendo have lowered there selling costs to retailers, but i think maybe the website has got the wrong end of the stick here.

All PS4/X1 AAA games have a recommended retail price of £55/60 but they only really stay at that price at launch. All console launches are like this, hence i was quite surprised at the gamer backlash. I think this more of a normal retail thing rather than any price reduction etc.

Top Bottom