• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

How are you dealing with all this bullshit?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Trump is as bad as everybody predicted. There's no more "wait and see." There's a truckload of bad news every day.

How are you handling it? Are you getting active and involved? Are you tuning out? Are you self-medicating? Are you pushing yourself deeper into projects/art/music?

If you think Trump is great, hey, this thread ain't for you.

Personally, I've got out and protested a couple of times, and I'm looking for ways to get more deeply involved. I've thought about starting a blog, but I don't know if that would add much at this point, unless I had a particular philosophy to organize readers around. But I'm struggling a bit, at this point.

Definitely getting more involved-- the most I ever used to do was share links on Facebook. Now I'm going to protests and calling my senators. I never really saw myself as the type of person who goes to a protest and holds a sign, but here we are.

Also soothing my feelings with candy. :/

dskillzhtown

keep your strippers out of my American football
Definitely getting more involved-- the most I ever used to do was share links on Facebook. Now I'm going to protests and calling my senators. I never really saw myself as the type of person who goes to a protest and holds a sign, but here we are.

Also soothing my feelings with candy. :/

I have been identifying organizations I can give money to and plan on walking in a march on April 15th.

SaganIsGOAT

Literally have anxiety and my depression is worsening right now from trying to reconcile all that is happening

Part of me knows that ignorance would be bliss

But part of me knows that attitude is essentially giving up

And so the viscous circle goes

I'm heading to Las Vegas with the intent of drinking myself to death.

Unlike Nic Cage though I will be drinking bottles of Big Mac sauce to speed up the process.

Hagi

It's not even been a week and he's going all in, I'm wondering what the landscape of your country is going to be like in say 6 months.

Lombax

Banned
I have been upping my donations to organizations that can do a much better job of fighting this nonsense than I.
I also write to my rep, and attend town meetings on a regular basis.

On a more personal note, I am going to keep ramping up my beekeeping operation then the next time I harvest honey I'll be sure to slap an extra 35% "Trump Supporter" tax on everything I sell to his supporters.
Honestly every hive that makes it trough a season to me will be a giant middle finger to that clown!

Seriously its the environmental shit that pisses me off the most. I lost 2 hives last year do to the "Hoax" that is climate change because we had such a terrible drought in my area.

Jamiaro

I've been active on Twitter, regarding Trump etc. After 4 years of nothig and with 16 followers, my impact will be tremendous.

TylerD

I live in blood red West Texas so I am donating a good chunk of money monthly to causes that need it.

I really need to start working out again to control my blood pressure when reading about all this shit.

Mohonky

Im waiting to see how much is actually legitimate news to be honest, considering the guy has been in for a few days, Im a bit sceptical he is passing all this stuff off so quickly, or whether some of it is just media going hysterical trying to report any and every little whisper they hear.

Dudes a fucking lunatic though, the press conferences and self indulgent speaches are mind boggling, its like America voted in a child with sepf esteem issues.

Lime

Donate money
Organize on a local level
Protest
Get support and help from friends and family
Listen to social activist leaders and follow their advice

Now in order to not have an emotional breakdown I take pauses and try to do stuff that isn't related to all the bullshit. Work, literature, games, films. Some of the excellent artistic experiences reminds me why there's still good in humanity (Park Chan-Wook's Handmaiden was one such experience that I'd recommend)

I have never been reading so much politics and news before in my life. I have been playing around with the thought of designing an app that will educate people on what they vote for. I feel that people really need to educate themselves better and not to buy into propaganda. I want to create something simple, unbiased as possible and fun to use. I would design it down to the local level to get people vote on local elections.

wenis

Registered for GAF on September 11, 2001.
Retail therapy. My record store guy sees me more often than my roommates or girlfriend do.

LosDaddie

Banned
eh, life goes on. It always does. Disappointment is just part of life.

Still have a career in engineering to continue building upon. A family to take care of. A hot wife to keep happy. A house to maintain.

I "deal" with life as I always have; Continue grinding to better myself and my family.

The sun still shines today, and it will rise again tomorrow.

curls

Wake up Sheeple, your boring insistence that Obama is not a lizardman from Atlantis is wearing on my patience 💤
With anxiety 😩

Shadybiz

Educating myself, staying informed, and getting more involved.

I have pretty much given up booze for the time being as well. It's VERY tempting to self-medicate, but I need my wits about me, and I know that under the circumstances, I'll just go overboard in any drinking session while trying to drown out the noise.

BSsBrolly

Banned
Im waiting to see how much is actually legitimate news to be honest, considering the guy has been in for a few days, Im a bit sceptical he is passing all this stuff off so quickly, or whether some of it is just media going hysterical trying to report any and every little whisper they hear.

Dudes a fucking lunatic though, the press conferences and self indulgent speaches are mind boggling, its like America voted in a child with sepf esteem issues.

Oh he's passing all this stuff. Problem is he's going it in an extremely vague way. Nobody knows the full extent yet. For example: the federal hiring freeze. Federal employees have been notified about the freeze but given no details as to what it entails...

I was active and involved before this happened and it has taken a toll on me and my household that I cannot even begin to sum up. I am still donating to organizations that I think will help. I am still offering my time to those around me. I am still being loud and obnoxious, but I am tired. It has only been a week and we are already in this place.

How am I coping? I am not watching any video of him. I choose to read the transcripts after the fact. For some reason it doesn't immediately make me anxious and angry like I do watching him speak. I have been hitting the gym harder than I had been. Wearing out the body so the mind isn't loud enough to keep me up at night has helped tremendously. I've been playing comfort games, SMG2 right now, to kind of take my mind off things when I have time. I have trimmed my social media presence to a post a day if any at all and have opted not to have a second screen going when I am spending time with my wife or other people I love.

Lime

Literally have anxiety and my depression is worsening right now from trying to reconcile all that is happening

Part of me knows that ignorance would be bliss

But part of me knows that attitude is essentially giving up

And so the viscous circle goes

I was at this point in December/January and I still have relapses. It probably helps to go off social media and the news and try to engage people around you. This usually helps in centering oneself and get a clearer idea about the state of the world.

Aurongel

Calling out folks on Facebook just forces them to double down on their persecution complex. Instead I try to educate younger people who are more open minded and also focus on yelling at more moderate/liberal people my age who don't vote.

Focusing the blame on the Electoral College alone is a fool's errand considering millennial turnout was pitiful to begin with. The Electoral College won't be overhauled any time soon but voter apathy is something you can begin addressing today.

Omadahl

Banned
I went to the local Women's March and call my senator's a couple times a week. Everyone should be calling their representatives every day.

Sharing informational stuff on facebook.

I called Paul Ryan's fucking home and sent him a goddamn post card.

Since Paul Ryan has blocked his office phones and fax numbers, and is turning away people who show up to deliver petitions, it's time to change tactics.

Please mail postcards to his home address saying NO to defunding Planned Parenthood, NO to repealing the ACA, and NO to privatizing Medicare!

PAUL RYAN
700 ST. LAWRENCE AVE.
JANESVILLE, WI 53545

Please paste and copy this info and share. Let's see what does 67 million cards in the driveway looks like.

You can also call (608) 754-8592 Voice message answers:" Ryan household". Leave a message!

I go to these political events and more: https://eventium.io/events/238060439979098/democracy-for-sale-greensboro

But I can only do so much because I'm a student/working F/T. Getting ready to go to a BLM meeting now.

But ultimately after graduation this May I might decide to leave the country. My wife is German, I'll be working for a company that will allow me to transfer, I don't have to take this shit :p.

Jmille99

Vocalizing my displeasure on Facebook by posting stories and why it's problematic and getting into arguments with my Trump supporter cousin dailyou because of said articles.

What fun.

• Disengaging as much as possible from political threads and news.
  • Switched my morning news station of choice from the local, right-leaning "news talk" station to the more even-handed NPR.
  • Started donating monthly to Planned Parenthood and the ACLU. Need to determine which environmental organization I want to support.
  • Wrote to my senators for the first time ever, intend to keep it up
  • Trying to focus on my own personal goals for this year, paying off several debts and starting to invest/save for a home
  • Entertaining thoughts of leaving the country

Ive always been politically involved but this shit is stressing me out. I started vacation this week and I had planned to just hole up in my studio and taking some online art classes. I cant get off the computer because every 5 minutes Trump is making America worse. I want to just turn it off but then I would feel irresponsible. I dont know what to do.

Neoweee

Honest questions: How did anyone think it wouldn't be "this bad"?

Were you buying into the "both parties are the same" bullshit, or accelerationism bullshit?

Did you not hear him praise the government's actions during Tienanmen Square?

Did you not hear him gloat about being able to get away with repeated sexual assault?

Were you not worried by his 4AM twitter rants?

None of what Trump has done since the inauguration is the slightest bit out of character or surprising.

I dealt with all of this bullshit over the last two months.

I'm kind of detached from it, so my reaction is just "Oh well, that sucks".

I never really got myself going in terms of career or relationships for the past 20+ years. I would have greatly preferred Hilary Clinton simply for a more stable climate.

At the end of day, life is just going on like usual. I personally have nowhere to go but up, but I know this country and the entire world is already getting worse overall. I never had plans to procreate at all.

raw

Morts

Being incredibly stressed, losing sleep,being really distracted at work and getting very little done.

Basically I haven't figured it out yet.

Everyone should be calling their representatives every day.

This bears repeating. I never really knew this before now, and probably a lot of people don't realize, but calling your representative's office is not just a way to sound off-- it actually has a tangible effect. Take one minute to call and say "I want you to vote against this cabinet appointment" or if the senator has already committed to voting one way, "I support your decision" or "I disagree and urge you to reconsider", it gets recorded and tabulated and the senator will be told that X number of constituents agree with what you're doing and Y number disagree.

WedgeX

Banned
Organizing. Protesting. Talking even more with family. Giving the thumbs up to my dem congresspeople when I see them on the street.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom