• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Yakuza 0 is blowing me away as someone who never played the series before

Bought it today (last copy in the store). Also first Yakuza ever. OT sold me on this one. I very much like it so far. The voices are great. Never thought i pay full price for a game with subtitles but here i am, enjoying.

Aki-at

I'm really happy that you and many more people are finally experiencing this great series. I've been playing it since 2006 and just to see the amount of people jumping into the series brings a tear to my eyes :,)

If this games cracks the top ten best sellers for this month I'm going to shit.

Woah there let's not get ahead of ourselves. If it manages to sell 100k in America for lifetime sells it'd be enough for me.

UncleMeat

We're getting Ishin next year if this positivity keeps up. Believe.

I want this! I'm definitely curious to see what the sales figure for this game will be; I feel like it could pass 1M (lifetime) but I'm not sure if I'm just breathing in too much gaf fumes.

S1kkZ

I wonder why Zero is catching on so well compared to last gen with the series, more awareness and marketing for it?

- its the perfect entry point for newcomers
- its on ps4
- people seem to be craving more japanese games these days
- great reviews
- the quirky humor goes well with gifs, memes and youtube videos (more exposure)
- very positive word of mouth

Rymuth

I want this! I'm definitely curious to see what the sales figure for this game will be; I feel like it could pass 1M (lifetime) but I'm not sure if I'm just breathing in too much gaf fumes.
It already passed 500,000 in Asia alone (PlayStation awards) a year ago - should clear 1 million easily but that's not the metric we need to look at. Metric should be how well the western sales are compared to previous games.

Sgblues

qq1oSjo.gif

Once you get to the top, you'll always feel the heat

PaulLFC

In the UK, it's sold out at Game and Amazon (who I would assume are by far the two biggest online retailers for games here), and also at base.com, Simply Games and 365 Games.

Seems it's doing better than Sega expected, which can only be a good thing for the series.

I just finished Resident Evil and after my assignments today I'll be playing this. I'm so psyched, going to be a great weekend. My first Yakuza game!

Any Pro benefits?

hamchan

Yakuza 0 breaking new ground in the West. Gosh I hope they do a Yakuza 2 remake soon so that people can keep playing after Kiwami.

This huge surge of popularity for the Yakuza series is amazing. It was only a few years ago when the Yakuza series was on its death bed at least in the west. I hope this gets enough traction that Sega keeps giving us not only more Yakuza games here but other titles that have long since been Japan only.

deadfolk

My copy arrived today and I'm desperate to play it, but I've barely started playing 5.

I'm only ~70 hours in.

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
This huge surge of popularity for the Yakuza series is amazing. It was only a few years ago when the Yakuza series was on its death bed at least in the west. I hope this gets enough traction that Sega keeps giving us not only more Yakuza games here but other titles that have long since been Japan only.

Tell me about it. I never thought we'd get to see this point, but I did secretly hope being on PS4 would help.

Sega were certainly fools not to bring over Yakuza Ishin not long after the PS4 launch. It's also certainly a shame they didn't have a Yakuza 5 PS4 port.

Who knew all it would take is a decent advertising and word of mouth push
ARRRRRRRRRRRRGGGGGGGGHHHHHHH SEGAAAAAAAA ITSSSSSS ALWAYS THE SAAAAAAMMMMEEEEE

Q8D3vil

I only played the first Yakuza and i thought it was a really shitty game, should i give this one a try if i get the chance to play it ?

Aki-at

I just saw that Chicken video, I think you sold me on the game!

Please don't think it's all hijinks and oddball humour. There's pretty much a serious story here whilst you try to uncover which gangster is behind this plot to protect your friends and family.

Right after you play a couple of games of OutRun.

And help protect a pop idol.

And do some karaoke with your bestie.

And then you can go save the day... but there is that toy you want from the crane game...

Pie and Beans

Look for me on the local news, I'll be the guy arrested for trying to burn down a Nintendo exec's house.
I only played the first Yakuza and i thought it was a really shitty game, should i give this one a try if i get the chance to play it ?

The series improved exponentially with 2. I hated Yakuza 1 also. 2 and 4 were my favourites.

1 felt like some weird poorly crowdfunded early access indie title with how badly it was put together in places. Kiwami coming to wipe out its existence and terrible dub is a godsend.

Sarek

Same for me. I wasn't sure at all I'd enjoy Yakuza 0 since I'm not a huge fan GTA type open world games. Luckily this game isn't really like almost all. The humour, the story, and everything else have kept me playing it basically every chance I've had since getting the game. Also got Yakuza 3 and 4 ordered so I got plenty of Yakuza to play for the foreseeable future!

Jimrpg

Every Yakuza game always overcomes its shortcomings. No matter how you feel about lengthy dialogue, 'older' graphics (certainly true for past titles which were released years after its initial Japanese release), janky combat and other things that are not quite right, Yakuza time is always a fun time.

Omikaru

Would be nice if they got much off the series off of PS2 and PS3 and onto PS4 (and other platforms, maybe?) so more people can catch up.

Part of what put me off Yakuza up until 0 has been that I didn't want to start half-way through the series. 0 seemed like a good starting point, obviously, and I'm having a blast. Now I want to play the whole series.

shandy706

Please don't think it's all hijinks and oddball humour. There's pretty much a serious story here whilst you try to uncover which gangster is behind this plot to protect your friends and family.

Right after you play a couple of games of OutRun.

And help protect a pop idol.

And do some karaoke with your bestie.

And then you can go save the day... but there is that toy you want from the crane game...

Uh oh....it has toys to collect and crane games.....when do I get to that part??? Hours/minutes wise?

Glad to have quality Sega back. Lets hope this game succeeds and sends them a message, and also lets hope that the next two Yakuza games they've got coming down the line don't tank as well.

Got

Banned
I definitely have always been intrigued by Yakuza. I'm excited to hear it's a good entry point for the series as the history and backlog of games for it seemed overwhelming.

Aki-at

Uh oh....it has toys to collect and crane games.....when do I get to that part??? Hours/minutes wise?

I think about 1 hr and 25 minutes. As soon as you can go to Club SEGA.

Enjoy becoming a ufo catcher master. The experience helped me will in my Japan trip!

That's a damn lie I sucked horrible at it both in the game and real life.

Jimrpg

We're getting Ishin next year if this positivity keeps up. Believe.

I never gave up.

I even ordered the Japanese version a couple of weeks ago because I wanted it so much. Everyone looking to bring it to the west should just buy a copy of they can afford it to show we mean business. Will buy the English version again if it comes out.

Lyte Edge

All I got for the Vernal Equinox was this stupid tag
I thought this game (which is totally awesome, I must add!) was the first PS4-only Yakuza, but I see that it came out on PS3 too. What is the first PS4-only title? Kiwami?

Top Bottom