• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Portland Police tackle protestors blocking traffic

Status
Not open for further replies.
holy shit people are cheering this? did we watch the same video? you all have such a boner for cops that you want to see people thrown to the fucking ground just for standing in traffic?

daffy

Banned
Ooo that guy that hopped on the bus bumper jumped off in the knick of time! Was about to get gerrymandered like the guy just standing there.

the people clapping are an embarrassment though. Sad times

The takedown was completely uncalled for. They could have easily walked up and most of those people would have dispersed. If they refuse and are still blocking traffic then you detain them.

commedieu

Banned
thank god states are making it legal to ruN them over. sure protest fAscism whatever, but don't make me fuckiNg late to work/am coffee.

No way to get their message out. if Anything this will tuRn more people towards trUmp that don't want to have to deal with this bullshiT. we have civil rigHts already, thanks.

I wonder if Portland got a new chief, because usually in the past that I noticed, they let the protestors walk around...at least that is what happens in Seattle. Now it looks like zero tolerance.

Our cops fucking love tear gas and flashbangs.

ACLU just released a statement last night calling our police bureau's automatic response to any protest event egregious and uncalled for, because we almost always send out a couple hundred fully kitted-out riot cops who almost always proceed to immediately start shitting flashbangs and kettling people.

Jakten

Americans are amazing, you're endangering the whole world and you still have the gaul to moan about protesters blocking traffic. This world is fucking done.

the whole point of protesting is peaceful disruption.

fucking weird to see people cheering this

you just know if this happened in any other country, especially one in the middle east, all the same posters would be feigning disgust at the headlines because this would be framed as a "mass arrest" instead of "hero cops assault anti-cop snowflakes for peaceful demonstration"

Need to make those laws to stem all protesters faster. We need the legal ability to run people over already. I'm tired of waiting. Cops are getting all the fun.

holy shit people are cheering this? did we watch the same video? you all have such a boner for cops that you want to see people thrown to the fucking ground just for standing in traffic?

DONT INCONVENIENCE ME OR ELSE SOMETHING SOMETHING BOTH SIDES

Need to make those laws to stem all protesters faster. We need the legal ability to run people over already. I'm tired of waiting. Cops are getting all the fun.

WHAT IN THE ACTUAL FUCK

But disrupt who?

You want to target a place that pisses off who you're protesting against, and hopefully get support of the general public to come out and support you. For example; a courthouse, parliament buildings, or police stations. Blocking traffic just pisses off the general public and erodes from the support you're hoping to seek.

kirblar

Hopping on the front of a moving bus is not peaceful. Nor is it disrupting a group that should be targeted - public transportation primarily serves lower-income residents.

Trojita

Rapid Response Threadmaker
What's up with the one cop in the second video that got force pushed? lol

For reference it happens 16 seconds in on the back right of the video.

Averon

Seems people only support protesting as long as its doesn't inconvenience them. The second it does, they're fine letting the police go wild on protesters.

Also, Tri-Met's transit system is constantly getting off-schedule and fucked up so even if this minor protest blocking trains had actually worked, most commuters likely wouldn't have had any real clue anything different had happened that afternoon.

But yeah, Portland Police response to protest actions is often pretty severe.

Apparently the right to move freely in this country outweighs protesters (I don't agree with that thinking)

You can protest in public spaces and if you get approval to block things like roadways. Just blocking traffic to annoy people is not only a perfect way to get people to turn against you, but isn't in the spirit of protecting the right to protest.

If you have a hundred protesters blocking the GW bridge and they make thousands of people late for work, do you think those people are going to all the sudden support the protesters?

People can crap on the Tea Party all they want, but they followed the rules when they protested. I can't for the life of me think of any times they blocked road traffic, didn't get approvals for their rallies or threw things at police.

But disrupt who?

You want to target a place that pisses off who you're protesting against, and hopefully get support of the general public to come out and support you. For example; a courthouse, parliament buildings, or police stations. Blocking traffic just pisses off the general public and erodes from the support you're hoping to seek.

nah speaking as a person with empathy, i see a mass of riot gear'd SS wannabes charging at a peaceful protest and i actually gain way more sympathy for the people who are being assaulted.

Ms.Galaxy

You can protest in public spaces and if you get approval to block things like roadways. Just blocking traffic to annoy people is not only a perfect way to get people to turn against you, but isn't in the spirit of protecting the right to protest.

If you have a hundred protesters blocking the GW bridge and they make thousands of people late for work, do you think those people are going to all the sudden support the protesters?

People can crap on the Tea Party all they want, but they followed the rules when they protested. I can't for the life of me think of any times they blocked road traffic, didn't get approvals for their rallies or threw things at police.

There is no right way to protest, one. Two, they are not there to make allies. Why do people not understand that the point of protest is not to make friends but to disrupt society.

There is no right way to protest, one. Two, they are not there to make allies.

So what's the point of protesting. Isn't the idea behind a protest to get the general public to support your cause? If that's not the point, you may as well yell into a pillow.

All of the idiots that do stuff like this completely undermine the message they are trying to send.

Jakten

My country is slowly slipping into fascism but at least I can take pride in knowing I made it to work on time so I can sit and jack off to innocent people getting choke slammed all day. Scum of the fucking earth.

Ms.Galaxy

So what's the point of protesting. Isn't the idea behind a protest to get the general public to support your cause? If that's not the point, you may as well yell into a pillow.

All of the idiots that do stuff like this completely undermine the message they are trying to send.

The point of protesting is to disrupt society until those on top actually listen. To do that, they need to make sure they are not easily ignored and making life inconvenienced for people is the best way to go about it.

marrec

Banned
My country is slowly slipping into fascism but at least I can take pride in knowing I made it to work on time so I can sit and jack off to innocent people getting choke slammed all day. Scum of the fucking earth.

god bless portland stormtroopers with their long black rods of justice

Averon

Protesting often isn't about getting the public to like you. It is about forcing the powers-that-be to hear your grievances.

That people, even in a place like NeoGAF, is cheering this shit makes me think those draconian anti-protesting laws the GOP are floating around will absolutely get passed.

It's depressing to think how easily people are willing to handcuff themselves.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Get off the roads idiots, unless you're protesting people going about their business.

yes, because protests throughout history for actual significant changes in the world have been done without inconveniencing people having to get to work, is that right?

Fucking A man, i hate this fucking society

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom