• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

It appears Target has made a horrendous business decision (regarding Garth Brooks)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Xyrmellon

Backstory: Every week, Shipwreck from Cheap Ass Gamer goes to Target and posts images of the clearance deals they have. Last week, he noticed that they had copies of the recent Garth Brooks boxset. Alot of copies. Like dozens.

That got the ball rolling....

Now it's turned into a thing, with people posting image after image from their local Targets of this fiasco. Every location has at LEAST 50 copies, with some people reporting a couple hundred. How much money did Target invest in this, and how much are they going to
lose? It's rather mind-boggling. Shipwreck himself just posted that if every Target has 50 copies of this at MSRP that's 2.5 million bucks of product.

Post your Garth photos! I'll get the ball rolling, and rope me in if old.

url]

Sorry, have trouble direct image posting on mobile.

robotrock

Banned
Lol amazon advertised the fact they got him on their streaming service so hard

how much is the box set on clearance?

What even is that? A discography set comprised of a bunch of his albums and CDs? A live concert dvd??

And, who knows, what's the country music demo like? Maybe they'll gobble it up?

Plinko

Wildcard berths that can't beat teams without a winning record should have homefield advantage
Didn't help that he has a greatest hits collection already that is much cheaper.

bigkrev

Yeah, Shipwreck RT my picutures- my Target in New Jersey has over 200 of them strewn throughout the store

I'm sure there are parts of the country where this sold just fine, and Target is a national chain, but maybe you shouldn't be sending hundreds of country CDs to states that voted for Hillary?

I got both that and his greatest hits album from amazon (as an alexa deal) for about 1.50 each. That was a physical and digital copy.

edit: oops, not the boxset. Just his two recent individual cd's. Still thought it was an unusually good deal for new cds.

DJ_Lae

I came in here to say that they had already backtracked on the whole Target Canada thing, but this sounds exactly like why they failed here - overstocking of useless items, not stocking things people wanted.

Flo_Evans

Looks like a box of chocolates.

Maybe I will pick one up for valentines day...

Wonder how disappointed my wife would be :p

RinsFury

Yeah, Shipwreck RT my picutures- my Target in New Jersey has over 200 of them strewn throughout the store

I'm sure there are parts of the country where this sold just fine, and Target is a national chain, but maybe you shouldn't be sending hundreds of country CDs to states that voted for Hillary?

Does Garth Brooks support Trump?

oneils

The dude has sold 160million albums. I don't know that we can safely assume that this is a mistake. He is easily in the top 20 all time.

thespot84

target has 1,800 stores. A box set like that might cost $3-4 for packaging, a full color cd at those scales might cost $0.40, so let's say there are for CDs, we're hovering around $5 per unit in hard costs.

That's $450,000 if target indeed put 50 in each store. Sure, it was probably a poor decision and the artist wasn't quite as bankable as they though, but that's not a huge invested for big retail runs like that.

painey

I was just in 2 yesterday in Minneapolis and didn't see any of these. I don't even know who the guy is, though.

I've been to fourteen different Targets in the Tri-State Area, brothers! I can't find a single got-danged Chris Gaines CD anywhere! This boy is really blowing up, and I'm hootin' and hollerin' all the way to the jukebox!

WMogo0O.jpg

Hell yeah Gaines!

Alphahawk

I think the only Garth Brooks song I've ever heard is Friends in Low Places and The Thunder Rolls, and that was one time for each.

It's insane how big the guy is and yet most people probably couldn't hum anything by him.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom