• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Nintendo FY2017 3rd Quarter Results (3DS HW LTD 65.3 mln)

ggx2ac

The following Net Sales,...,Profit is cumulative total 9 months ended December 31st 2016

Net Sales: 311,121 million yen (26.9% decrease over the same 9 month period last year)
Operating Income: 26,315 million yen
Ordinary Income: 49,110 million yen
Profit: 64,670 million yen 3rd Quarter/102,969 million yen (153.9% increase over the same 9 month period last year)

Currency exchange gives in US dollars:
Net Sales: ~$2.737 billion
Operating Income: ~$231.5 million
Ordinary Income: ~$432 million
Profit: ~$568 million 3rd Quarter/~$906 million cumulative total

3DS
Hardware:
3.74 million 3rd Quarter/65.30 million LTD
Software: 27.55 million 3rd Quarter/320.96 million LTD

The following quote is the cumulative sales for FY2017.
Nintendo 3DS hardware this period was 6.45 million units (10% increase on a year-on-year basis), while Nintendo 3DS software sales were 46.78 million units (20% increase on a year-on-year basis).

Wii U
Hardware:
200k 3rd Quarter/13.56 million LTD
Software: 4.18 million 3rd Quarter/96.52 million LTD

The following quote is for the cumulative sales for FY2017.
On the other hand, for the Wii U console, we planned to ship 0.8 million units this fiscal year, based on our forecasts of comprehensive demand for Nintendo hardware. Activity has conformed to our expectations from the start of the fiscal year, with hardware sales volume of 0.76 million units (75% decrease on a year-on-year basis) and software sales volume of 12.48 million units (45% decrease on a year-on-year basis).

No hard numbers for NES Mini Classic... Amiibo remains steady.

Consolidated Operating Results

The Nintendo Entertainment System: NES Classic Edition also launched in Japan and overseas in November to widespread popularity. Although the release of some new titles offering amiibo functionality restored some momentum, amiibo sales remained limited to 6.5 million units for figure-type and 6.6 million units for card-type. In addition, there were relatively fewer offerings of downloadable content during this period, so digital sales were also down to a large extent on the same period last year.

3DS million sellers LTD:

Nintendo 3DS
Pokémon Sun/Pokémon Moon: 14.69 million LTD
Super Mario Maker for Nintendo 3DS: 2.01 million LTD
Pokémon Omega Ruby/Pokémon Alpha Sapphire: 13.68 million LTD
Mario Kart 7: 14.82 million LTD
Pokémon X/Pokémon Y: 16.06 million LTD
Kirby: Planet Robobot: 1.32 million LTD

Smart Device, IP related income, etc*: 7,275 million yen 3rd Quarter/10,683 million yen cumulative total for FY2017
(includes income for smart-device content and royalty income)
Currency exchange for the above into US dollars gives: ~$64 million 3rd Quarter/~$94 million cumulative total for FY2017

Nintendo's earnings share from Pokémon Go and other entities:
Share of profit of entities accounted for using equity method: 4,757 million yen 3rd Quarter/16,781 million yen cumulative total
Currency exchange in US dollars gives:
~$41.78 million 3rd Quarter/~$147.36 million cumulative total

Animal Crossing Mobile was delayed to accommodate the other mobile releases currently.
For smart devices, we plan to release the game application Fire Emblem Heroes on February 2. We will also follow last December’s release of Super Mario Run for iOS with an Android version in March. To accommodate the releases and operation of these applications, we have revised the release schedule for Animal Crossing, which we had originally planned to release during this period. This title will be released during the next fiscal year.

Source: https://www.nintendo.co.jp/ir/pdf/2017/170131e.pdf

Let me know if I got anything incorrect.

https://twitter.com/ynakamura56/status/826335204453126147

Super Mario Run downloaded 78 million times; more than 5% paid for full version: Nintendo president

The above should be at least 3.9 million purchases or more of Super Mario Run. That should give approximately $39 million in revenue and approximately $27.3 million in gross profit.

Updated software sales as of December 31, 2016 are also up:

Wii U
3DS

3DS Top Sellers (1st party)

C3fIqTgUkAIxNAh.jpg

C3fIraQVYAAAFxf.jpg

C3fIsm1VUAAKeEp.jpg

Wii U Top Sellers (1st party)

Nirolak

Mrgrgr
Am I reading it right?

They earned less money (still ok results imo) but the warchest keeps growing.

Currency exchange rates.

Nintendo has very little in the way of meaningful operations outside Japan, so they're heavily impacted by currency fluctuations.

goldenpp72

Wow. On another note: will be interesting to see if the Switch will sell better in its first year than WiiU did in its first year.

I think Switch has a good chance to outsell Wii Us life sales in it's first year and half, really pathetic showing for U but it happens.

KingSnake

The Birthday Skeleton
Super Mario Run didn't make a dent. They even use the number of downloads in the info and a very old one.

Edit: roughly 4 mio. sold out of 78 mio. downloads. Decently, but nothing to write home about.

random25

Am I reading it right?

They earned less money (still ok results imo) but the war chest keeps growing.

If you check their extraordinary income, you'll see that it rose from 404 million Yen to almost 64 billion yen. That contributed to the significant increase in profit.

goldenpp72

That would mean close to PS4 sales. That's not gonna happen.

I'm assuming that in the first year that Zelda, MK8, Splatoon 2, Mario odyssey, Pokemon Stars, and some other smaller stuff will release. If so, it should be able to pull it off without much issue.

Keep in mind, the first year of Wii U was basically nothing but NSMBU, Pikmin 3 and.. I think Mario 3D world, with tons and tons of delays and gaps. I'm going to guess that by E3, it should have broken 5-6 million units WW so I don't think it's all that crazy, but who knows :)

Am I reading it right?

They earned less money (still ok results imo) but the war chest keeps growing.

Yeah, this is because of the way Nintendo's portion of Pokemon Go's income is incorporated into the sales data. Plus the sale of the Mariner's is included.

We have also included 16.7 billion yen of share of profit of entities accounted for using the equity method related to The Pokémon Company and other investments, resulting in an ordinary income of 49.1 billion yen. In addition, due to the sale of part of our equity in the company that manages the Seattle Mariners Major League Baseball team, we recorded gain on sales of investment securities totaling 63.5 billion yen as extraordinary income, meaning that profit attributable to owners of parent was 102.9 billion yen.

More at Nintendo Times.

3DS ended up having quite a good finish to its life span. Will probably pass 70 million when all is said and done. Shows there is still interest in dedicated handhelds even when Nintendo botches them (overpriced poor software lineup at launch).

That would mean close to PS4 sales. That's not gonna happen.

If it gains 3DS type popularity instead of WiiU its very possible. With Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and possibly Pokemon in the first year alone that reality is very possible.

Now If they announce Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing well all I can say is RIP to Japan lol.

RM8

Kirby did over a million? Wow, nice.
Kirby is very consistent, doesn't require a huge budget, and it's not risky to get creative with the series. It's grown to be a fantastic IP for Nintendo, really. The Kirby Café in Tokyo was also reportedly a big success.

goldenpp72

If it gains 3DS type popularity instead of WiiU its very possible. With Zelda, Mario, Splatoon, and possibly Pokemon in the first year alone that reality is very possible.

Now If they announce Monster Hunter and Animal Crossing well all I can say is RIP to Japan lol.

Yeah, Animal crossing exceeded 10 million sales on 3DS, if Japan takes to Switch as a handheld and gets the traditional IP movers it's not gonna be a Wii U recycle.

Guymelef

Some of you are forgetting the price factor...

goldenpp72

3DS launched at 250 with a lame gimmick (3d) and absolutely nothing to play, 300 for what Switch offers is much more appealing to me then that was at 250 anyways, as I did not buy the 3DS at launch.

Plus, I imagine Nintendo will get the price of Switch down to 250 within a year if needed, as it seems to be made of components that can get cheaper over time.

Guymelef

3DS launched at 250 with a lame gimmick (3d) and absolutely nothing to play, 300 for what Switch offers is much more appealing to me then that was at 250 anyways, as I did not buy the 3DS at launch.

Plus, I imagine Nintendo will get the price of Switch down to 250 within a year if needed, as it seems to be made of components that can get cheaper over time.

Check how long it lasted at $250, for some reason.

goldenpp72

I know it dropped quickly, it was an awful value proposition at the time. Switch may well not perform well, but people thinking it's obvious are grossly under estimating it imo. The switch at 300 is a super Wii U in specs on the go, playable on the tv via a dock, and is launching with a huge Zelda game followed by MK8 and Splatoon 2 within just months of release.

Vs what, Pilot Wings? Good luck with that.

Thoraxes

Currency exchange rates.

Nintendo has very little in the way of meaningful operations outside Japan, so they're heavily impacted by currency fluctuations.

I'd mentioned this in the past, but yeah, I figured the yen being how it is right now definitely affected launch prices of the Switch outside of Japan. It's a lot of extra money per unit sold for even just the end of the FY.

ggx2ac

If I haven't made a mistake in the OP, Nintendo basically made a lot of money for their Smart Device and IP related income for the 3rd Quarter.

otakuma

Neo Member
Am I really bad at math or the numbers on the last page don't seem to add up? Life-to-date sales of 3DS hardware is 6,530 (sales units in ten thousands), but adding up the detailed numbers (from 2DS, new 3DS etc) you only get 3905 (?). I wanted to see the percentage of each model. Anyway, considering the 3905 total, it would be:
50% 3DS XL
18% 2DS
6% New 3DS
25% New 3DS XL
But I don't understand why the total is different.

Well, just by having Splatoon should make a difference.

Zelda and 3D Mario aren't as strong in Japan as in the West, but should do good numbers anyway.

Pokémon will make amazing for sure.

Regarding AC and MH. Don't think we'll see AC until Q3-4 2018, but if they manage to get MH in some form (XX for example) before March 2018, they will make an incredible first year.

Kebiinu

Banned

I don't know if price in Japan is as big a deal as y'all have been making it. A multitude of Japanese developers were actually shocked at how cheap it was, considering the tech. Whether the Japanese demographic agrees, remains to be seen.

Tratorn

The switch will get Mainline Zelda, Mario, Pokemon (just a rumour but most likely true), Splatoon and an MK8 port that was only on WiiU in its first year, both in mobile and console form. It can't do really bad.

It'll start a bit slower than I excpected since it's not <= 249$, but it will most likely still sell pretty well.

ggx2ac

Am I really bad at math or the numbers on the last page don't seem to add up? Life-to-date sales of 3DS hardware is 6,530 (sales units in ten thousands), but adding up the detailed numbers (from 2DS, new 3DS etc) you only get 3905 (?). I wanted to see the percentage of each model. Anyway, considering the 3905 total, it would be:
50% 3DS XL
18% 2DS
6% New 3DS
25% New 3DS XL

As you would've noticed, they didn't put in the original Nintendo 3DS numbers because I'm certain they stopped producing that model.

So the original Nintendo 3DS models make up 6530-3905= 2625 so 26.25 million units of total 3DS sales.

majik13

If you check their extraordinary income, you'll see that it rose from 404 million Yen to almost 64 billion yen. That contributed to the significant increase in profit.

What is extraordinary income? Also didnt they sell their baseball team?

Edit: already answered.

$300 might seem steep but comparatively your getting something leagues above the 3DS for only $100 more and the 3DS still sells gangbusters at that price. I know it'll also be competing with PS4 and XBone but Switch is filling a space that those two have no foothold in which is the handheld market. $300 for a Console of its specs is a bad proposition, $300 for a handheld at those specs is a good one. A hybrid of both IMO is even better. It'll all boil down to how people perceive the system as one or the other or both.

I dont think this thing will have a problem selling in Japan, honestly it'll probably surpass WiiU Worldwide LTD in Japan alone, it'll be the Western Markets where Nintendo is going to really need to push this system because I think it'll be a tougher sell out here.

boxter432

50% 3DS XL
18% 2DS
6% New 3DS
25% New 3DS XL
Think about what model isn't included in your list there.

massoluk

Banned
I don't know if price in Japan is as big a deal as y'all have been making it. A multitude of Japanese developers were actually shocked at how cheap it was, considering the tech. Whether the Japanese demographic agrees, remains to be seen.
My take is people here see overpriced home console, japanese dev see a gaming tablet with added controllers and dock.

D.Lo

Switch will either be $250 by Christmas or $300 with a game or two. $300 is almost exactly the 2006 Wii price inflation adjusted too.

Within 1.5 years they can sell a $200 dockless gripless bundle easily. It's probably the easiest console to cost-reduce ever made.

otakuma

Neo Member
As you would've noticed, they didn't put in the original Nintendo 3DS numbers because I'm certain they stopped producing that model.

So the original Nintendo 3DS models make up 6530-3905= 2625 so 26.25 million units of total 3DS sales.

Damn, you’re so right! So, those percentages are valid considering the “new wave”. Overall, instead, it’s around:
40% Original 3DS
30% 3DS XL
10% 2DS
3% New 3DS
15% New 3DS XL

AzaK

$300 might seem steep but comparatively your getting something leagues above the 3DS for only $100 more and the 3DS still sells gangbusters at that price. I know it'll also be competing with PS4 and XBone but Switch is filling a space that those two have no foothold in which is the handheld market. $300 for a Console of its specs is a bad proposition, $300 for a handheld at those specs is a good one. A hybrid of both IMO is even better. It'll all boil down to how people perceive the system as one or the other or both.

I dont think this thing will have a problem selling in Japan, honestly it'll probably surpass WiiU Worldwide LTD in Japan alone, it'll be the Western Markets where Nintendo is going to really need to push this system because I think it'll be a tougher sell out here.

I'm with you on the Japan numbers. This is a handheld replacement with console offerings thrown in. If you're a 3DS gamer there's nothing much to hate about the Switch really. It will get all the 3DS games, it will get all of Nintendo's console games. It is leagues above the 3DS in capability and will likely have a better online than the 3DS as well. Throw in family and coop gaming and it's probably the best console ever for 3DS owners. Western, console centric gamers I think will be the opposite because based on what we saw at the presentation, the console side of things is sorely lacking.

Top Bottom