• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Capcom's gaming output during gen 6 was fucking INSANE

mrmickfran

Starting from their Dreamcast titles in 1999 and ending with their last PS2 game in 2006, Capcom was releasing one fantastic game after another.

Power Stone
Power Stone 2
Marvel vs. Capcom 2
Street Fighter III: Third Strike
Resident Evil: Code Veronica
REmake
Resident Evil 0
Resident Evil 4
Devil May Cry
Devil May Cry 3
Ace Attorney
Ace Attorney 2
Ace Attorney 3
Mega Man Battle Network 1 - 6 (except 4 since 4 was trash)
Mega Man Zero 1 - 4
Mega Man X: Command Mission
Steel Battalion
Onimusha 1
Onimusha 2
Onimusha 3
Monster Hunter
Capcom vs. SNK
Capcom vs. SNK 2
Killer 7
Maximo: Ghosts to Glory
Maximo: Army of Zin
Viewtiful Joe
Okami
God Hand
Gotcha Force
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Seasons
The Legend of Zelda: Oracle of Ages
The Legend of Zelda: The Minish Cap

I included their Clover games since they were still Capcom just in a different name. Even then, that's a shit ton of quality releases from one company in just 8 years. Several of them included in many "greatest of all time" lists (Devil May Cry, Viewtiful Joe, God Hand and Ace Attorney 3 are in my top 10, not including other games I love like Okami, RE4 or Ace Attorney).

Forget the SNES era, THIS was Capcom's golden age. I mean, they had every genre covered: platformer, shooter, beat em up, character action, survival horror, visual novel, action adventure, action RPG, Turn-Based RPG, fighting and ever racers.

I mean, they did have a few stinkers:
Dino Crisis 3
Mega Man X7
Mega Man Battle Network 4
Devil May Cry 2

But it's NOTHING compared to the overall quality of games that they released at the time.

And then I look at their output of great games for gen 7 and weep:

Dead Rising
Dead Rising 2
Devil May Cry 4
Street Fighter 4
Resident Evil 5
Resident Evil 6
Dragon's Dogma
Ghost Trick
Marvel vs. Capcom 3
Ace Attorney 4
Mega Man ZX
Mega Man 9 & 10
Asura's Wrath
Bionic Commando: ReArmed
Zack & Wiki

I mean it's a good list, but NOTHING compared to how they were in gen 6.

Their Gen 8 list (so far) is even more depressing:

Dead Rising 3
Resident Evil 7
Street Fighter V
Ace Attorney 5
Ace Attorney 6
Monster Hunter 4
Monster Hunter Generations

The thing is, they're STILL putting out quality games, they're just so few and far in between now. Capcom losing Mikami, Kamiya, Inaba and Inafune all at once was a travesty. The company was unstoppable with so many people under one roof.

Pour one out for the old Capcom:

pou_7153.png

What about you guys? You think Capcom still has it? Or are they a hollow shell of their former self?

RockmanBN

They're doing okay for now. RE7 was a step up. Hoping for a Switch MH game. Though they'll probably fuck up Mega Man's 30 anniversary with a tie in game for the new cartoon or have some lazy retro style game to compensate ala Street Fighter X Mega Man.

A PS4 Monster Hunter and a Dino Crisis reboot with a VR mode and Capcom is instantly legendary tier dev again.

Quality > quantity

ekgrey

I'm just glad to have RE back. They'll never have a list like the one you posted again, but no one will. Development is just too expensive and time consuming these days.

And then they closed Clover Studio and their talent left. Capcom was dead beside for the Monster Hunter team and the Phoenix Wright guy.

Jawmuncher

Gen 7 was where I really fell in love with capcom, that first half was amazing. The latter half wasn't even as bad as some make it out to be. But the over reliance on western development really did hurt them.

Gen 8 has definitely been rather sad when compared to 6 or 7. In hoping that now that RE engine is a thing. They can start having a better turn out of games.

13ruce

Banned
Wat they made Zelda games 0.0? Minish Cap and the Oracle games are pretty good i hope they will make a Zelda game again someday.

Duxxy3

Were they just a much much larger company back then?

I think this was back when the bulk of (what is now) Platinum was at Capcom, and when clover was making games.

Capcom on the PS2 was my personal golden age of video games. The Clover devs leaving was the beginning of the end, though, and once they started their infamous 'farm out beloved IPs to Western developers' plan they'd truly become Capcpom. It's nice to hear that RE7 is good, though, and I'm eagerly anticipating DMC5 this year.

timberger

Not really surprising. After that point all their talent started leaving and the company's overall management turned to shit. Inevitable that output would suffer, but yeah... that is a fairly extreme downturn in a fairly short space of time.

Flowmoney

The generation 6 list is way too small , they made project justice , gotcha force , cyberbots , tech romancer and etc.

Golnei

Wat they made Zelda games 0.0? Minish Cap and the Oracle games are pretty good i hope they will make a Zelda game again someday.

Quite a few of the staff behind those games has migrated to Nintendo - for example, the director of those games also directed Skyward Sword and Breath of the Wild.

Nottle

A PS4 Monster Hunter and a Dino Crisis reboot with a VR mode and Capcom is instantly legendary tier dev again.

Quality > quantity
Not when you have a quantity of better quality like early 2000's capcom. Absolutely top of the game back in the 90's and early 00's.

mrmickfran

Well, they've just put out RE7, so I'd say they do. But is that enough to sustain them?

As mentioned before in the thread, it looks like the RE engine might be their main engine going forward. Hopefully it does as good as MT Framework.

The generation 6 list is way too small , they made project justice , gotcha force , cyberbots , tech romancer and etc.
Omg I forgot about Gotcha Force. TOO MANY GAMES.

Easy_D

never left the stone age

Quality > quantity

It'll be MonHun Switch and they'll see it as an excuse to reuse assets from Frontier and you know it :p

Paltheos

mrmickfran, you left Breath of Fire: Dragon Quarter off your list. Admittedly, some people aren't so warm to the title, but they're wrong, so don't let that stop you.

Paltheos

Is it bad if I said that I never played a BoF game? >.>

It's cool, man. Breath of Fire was one of the more known RPG franchises, but if RPGs weren't your thing I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't played it. Dragon Quarter is also the last entry released in the series, and that's 15 years ago now.

Hyu

Neo Member
I agree, the output was way better in the past.
Mega Man is being held hostage and the only thing we get is re-releases :(

halfbeast

Banned
um, Monster Hunter 1 and 2, RE Outbreak 1 and 2? they put out better online multiplayer games 2 gens ago than they do now...

mrmickfran

It's cool, man. Breath of Fire was one of the more known RPG franchises, but if RPGs weren't your thing I wouldn't be surprised if you hadn't played it. Dragon Quarter is also the last entry released in the series, and that's 15 years ago now.

What about BoF6? >:D

um, Monster Hunter 1 and 2, RE Outbreak 1 and 2? they put out better online multiplayer games 2 gens ago than they do now...

But I DID put Monster Hunter. And I forgot about Outbreak >_>

I agree, the output was way better in the past.
Mega Man is being held hostage and the only thing we get is re-releases :(
People give Inafune shit, but I liked him foe keeping mega man afloat.

I've said this before, but unfortunately there's just been a lot of companies that used to have a amazing variety of franchises in the past only for their output to dwindle over the years due to the rise of development costs and budgets.

Konami
Capcom
Square-Enix
SEGA
Rare

Now-a-days, a lot of these companies just can't take quite the same risks they used to, and end up having to rely on the same few franchises while the rest of them are stuck down in the basement.

mrmickfran

Try and make a list for the SNES and Genesis gen.

Or heck, even PS1.
It still can't compare to their gen 6 stuff.

Gen 4
Street Fighter II
Mega Man X
Mega Man X2
Super Ghouls and Ghosts
Demon's Crest
Strider
Breath of Fire
Breath of Fire 2
Final Fight 1-3

Gen 5
Resident Evil
Resident Evil 2
Resident Evil 3
Mega Man X4
Strider 2
Street Fighter Alpha
Dino Crisis
Dino Crisis 2
Breath of Fire 3
Breath of Fire 4
Rival Schools
Darkstalkers 1-3

Those are all I can remember at the moment tho :p

Tizoc

I've said this before, but unfortunately there's just been a lot of companies that used to have a amazing variety of franchises in the past only for their output to dwindle over the years due to the rise of development costs and budgets.

Konami
Capcom
Square-Enix
SEGA
Rare

Now-a-days, a lot of these companies just can't take quite the same risks they used to, and end up having to rely on the same few franchises while the rest of them are stuck down in the basement.

It's not just that; the average consumer has no interest in many of those titles.

Gotcha force, dat game... I'm still playing these days, I always wanted a sequel about it but with Gundam VS this will never happen...

JayEH

I think you can replace capcom with a couple of old Japanese pubs/devs from back then. They dominated the console space at the time. Good times.

Tizoc

2 Capcom games you little kiddies never knew about

Granbo and Kabu Trader Shun

EDIT: OP don't forget these
SF3 NG and 2I

Then there are the JoJo games including the PS2 GioGio game
0TmzpZZ.jpg

I'd mention Warzard/Red Earth buuuut that's before the era you're mentioning :X

ffvorax

Well I actualy love Ace Attorney series, so I'm happy they continue to release new games, even if digital only... but yes, lineup was stronger before

yyr

Only good games fam

I probably forgot a few, but I'm only listing their quality titles.

Capcom vs. SNK 2 belongs right up there with 3rd Strike and MvC2, and I will furiously debate anyone who argues this.

Sure it's not the most balanced game, sure it's not without small glitches, but neither are 3S and MvC2.

It's a smooth-playing Capcom classic, a huge improvement over its predecessor, and something you can't experience anywhere else, including on modern consoles. It never got a re-release past its own generation and it deserves one very badly. I miss being able to walk into an arcade and easily find people to play it with!

Lost Planet 1 was awesome too, especially the multiplayer. I clocked a good number of hours and barely scratched the surface of the campaign.

Top Bottom