• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

PS4 Pro to get higher frame rates on older games, without Patch (?)

C3vpduoUMAEpU5P.jpg

http://www.neogaf.com/forum/showpost.php?p=229635785&postcount=314

Edit: This means straight up, that games will hit their targets, 30 or 60fps, more often. This does not make a game, capped at 30fps (Bloodborne) a 60fps game.

Caayn

Please be true, please be true, please be true. Star Ocean might actually keep its framerate up.

It's nice that even without official support from devs/publishers, your PS4 Pro can still flex some of that muscle, and the choice is left up to each user's discretion.

Bloodborne! Finally!

This is literally the only reason I didn't buy the Pro (1080p owner).

I was hoping for the same minor framerate boost to older games that Xbox One S provided. Hopefully this means Bloodborne at a locked 30fps is finally happening!

I'm surprised they didn't have this sort of feature at launch. I guess they wanted to have a starker distinction between Pro-enabled and standard games.

Gojeran

When is this happening exactly? And is it something you have to enable like the old ps2 stuff when running ps1 games?

Jonnax

On games released before the release of the PS4 Pro, enable to experience higher frame rates on these games. Disable if there are any unexpected issues.

That's what it says.

gofreak

GAF's Bob Woodward
Pretty much the best approach to this. It's a 'pro' machine, let user's take the risk on things crashing with an opt-in. Hopefully for many games there's no problems, and only improvements.

I was kind of happy with my standard PS4 to be honest, now I might give the Pro another think.

newbong95

Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ?

Bojanglez

The Amiga Brotherhood
Awesome if true. This is the approach I suggested at the Pro's launch. Let the user decide at a system level, if they wish to take the risk.

Inuhanyou

Believes Dragon Quest is a franchise managed by Sony
Boost mode - how is this possible ? Cerny mentioned that changing the cpu frequency broke the base ps4 games . Thats why they underclocked the cpu and turned off part of the gpu . Maybe they are unlocking the gpu but keeping the cpu clock rate at 1.6ghz ?

I'm assuming they tested certain games but are just going to bite the bullet and give an option to enable or disable at the players discretion

Servbot24

Banned
Bloodborne! Finally!

I don't know why people continuously make these types of assumptions. Imagining things over and over until it becomes fact in your mind and then reality happens and you're shocked that it doesn't match your imagination.

Shari

When is the new fw going to be testable? We SO need this.

Also cheers to the fanboys who said this couldn't be done because games being unstable you've made a joke of yourselves once again.

Inuhanyou

So ... Bloodborne @ 60fps?

Because I'm in. I'm SO in.

It will not allow games that are locked at a certain FPS to go beyond that, only more solid FPS. So if a game is unlocked for example, they would get benefit, if a game was dropping frames on OG ps4 at 30fps, they would also get benefit of more solid 30fps.

When is the new fw going to be testable? We SO need this.

Also cheers to the fanboys who said this couldn't be done because games being unstable you've made a joke of yourselves once again.

This doesn't mean that wasn't the case, just that they are going to give the players the choice to enable or disable the CPU based on the results. So if it fucked up a game they can still lock the CPU back to the base mode.

The devs essentially have no part in it, they have already set the parameters the game should run at.

FacelessSamurai

..but cry so much I wish I had some
Im guessing this is like with the Xbox one s where it uses the extra power to run at a higher frame rate.smart.

Markitron

Is currently staging a hunger strike outside Gearbox HQ while trying to hate them to death
Are there many games that have unlocked framerates?

Shirow

Banned
That would be pretty awesome if true. It would make buying a the Pro justifiable for 1080p TV owners like myself more.

Izuna

Banned
uhhhhhhhh

Well shit, now I want a Pro again

Looks like Sony put in the testing and realised it wasn't impossible like they were BSly complaining

Regardless, this is freaking amazing so good work (finally)

i give it a month before devs ask for a boost mode blacklist to keep games from breaking

Still on that huh?

SSReborn

So what is the trade-off for turning it on seeing as it looks to be a feature that you toggle?

Basically asking why not just have it on at all times.

FyreWulff

It's never been impossible, just safer to give old games old speed and new games new speed

you're either get

a) a premade whitelist of games that Sony has spot tested, and boost won't work with games outside the whitelist

b) sony is making the community do the testing and a boost mode blacklist will start being built after launch

So what is the trade-off for turning it on seeing as it looks to be a feature that you toggle?

Because some games may break, or it'll cause weird bugs.

There were games on 360 that broke solely from being installed after the feature was added. Programming has fun shit like that. Some people got this weird hang up about like it's a war or something

Inuhanyou

uhhhhhhhh

Well shit, now I want a Pro again

Looks like Sony put in the testing and realised it wasn't impossible like they were BSly complaining

Regardless, this is freaking amazing so good work (finally)

That doesn't make any sense. Sony never said it was impossible, just that it caused imbalances in games and they were not willing to chance the stability of the library without devs going back and fixing games.

Generally speaking, this is just a toggle that can be switched on or off so there's no point in not adding it, i guess they realized hat

Games can get fucked up without warning due to not being coded to accept the different hardware clocks and architecture.

So if your game fucks up, just toggle it off.

Top Bottom