• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Sean Murray at GDC 2017 : Building Worlds Using Math - Q&A too!

vivekTO

Nb2a97l.png

As a Game Artsit i am always interested in BTS and Technical summit like these,I know people hate on the game for good reasons, but technically its still one of the few unique games which came out in 2016.Looking forward to the presentation.

Kurdel

Banned
We all know what this thread will be about: how disheveled will be he? Or will be clean shaven, forgoing the "Punished Murray" look?

sean.0.0.jpg

5a73cf01699932e6368a5218520a2172.jpg

🤔

Mik2121

If I were there I'd be attending. Is it safe to assume that these lectures get recorded?

Later this month (a few days before GDC perhaps), the sessions get updated with information regarding whether they get recorded or not. Most of them do. You still need a GDC Vault account if the video is locked to account holders only, or hope the Youtube GDC account decides to upload it for free.

Okay, here's the million dollar question I want to know from this talk. It's actually relevant to the hype critique and the discussion on math.

Was the game using the Superformula at some point or not? Was its removal the reason for the game seeming so half-baked at launch?

Crom

Should have called it "Building Hype Using Bullshit".

Lol. I tried to warn people to lower their expectations on the game. It is a shame that it turned out the way that it did but with such a small team size...no way could it have met most people's lofty expectations.

Will be interesting to see what his team does next though.

Not sure how this relates to this talk, but sure get your dumb ass dig in .
I mean, I don't want to encourage shitposting here, but there is a legitimate critique to be had here with the way Sean talked about the math and procedural generation side of the game to drum up hype for the game.

vivekTO

This is some technical talk about the game BTS , Only developers and programmers are there, no Media or gamers. What do you think will happen there?

tuxfool

Banned
How about people talk about the substance of the topic? Regardless of the way the game turned out, a talk into the algorithms that they used to populate the game would be very interesting.

Haunted

From the saltiness in this thread, it'll be fun to watch the hater's reaction in here when they see how Sean will be met with applause and standing ovations from the programmers and developers at his GDC talk. 😂 The tech behind No Man's Sky's procedural generation is pretty amazing and tech-minded people in the industry know this.

How about people talk about the substance of the topic. Regardless of the way the game turned out, a talk into the algorithms that they used to populate the game would be very interesting.
Nah easier to shitpost.

Anyway interested in the math behind it the formulas used. How they plan to expand it later and refine it

Wink

Very good. I hope devs can learn from his experience and procedural generation grows from here. Very promising and impressive technology.

I would go to this. I think NMS is still a remarkable achievement.

it is that. not exactly what it was promoted as, or necessarily an endlessly, tremendously fun-filled experience. but, yes, it is absolutely that, & enjoyable (at a more reasonable price) as such :) ...

From the saltiness in this thread, it'll be fun to watch the hater's reaction in here when they see how Sean will be met with applause and standing ovations from the programmers and developers at his GDC talk. 😂 The tech behind No Man's Sky's procedural generation is pretty amazing and tech-minded people in the industry know this.

Depends. Is Jacksinthe attending? :)

Looking forward to the talk. Hope he doesn't get harassed too much.

Hari Seldon

There are video game designers and there are video game coders. Being good at one doesn't necessarily make you good at the other. Sean Murray is by all accounts a great coder and I feel like he has gotten way more shit than a single bad video game deserves.

breakfuss

There are video game designers and there are video game coders. Being good at one doesn't necessarily make you good at the other. Sean Murray is by all accounts a great coder and I feel like he has gotten way more shit than a single bad video game deserves.

People payed money for it and have every right to be pissed.

entremet

Is this guy never gonna be forgiven?

People are human, guys. Does Murray need to be exiled from the industry or something?

People payed money for it and have every right to be pissed.

I can kind of get you being like... meta-pissed about the general idea that a developer used HINTS OF (because they never directly marketed multiplayer as tent-pole feature) features that never made it into the final game, and how failed in properly communicating that fact.

But you're acting like the people who paid money for this game got scammed. They didn't get scammed. You have every opportunity to form an informed opinion in the form of reviews and other player's experience with the actual finished game, and all you have to do is not buy it on day one. If you made an uninformed purchasing decision, that's your own damned fault. Buying on day one isn't an inextricable human right.

And mind you, as a day one purchaser, I feel like I'm playing the game I was expecting.

Alienous

Is this guy never gonna be forgiven?

People are human, guys. Does Murray need to be exiled from the industry or something?

He never apologized for and admitted the lies, as far as I'm aware, so I don't see why people should forgive him before that.

I wish I could attend this. NMS could have been a flawed game when it comes to design but as an aspiring developer, the work behind this game is impressive. Sean, as a developer, is someone I aspire to be like, from a technical standpoint.

Top Bottom