• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Kodi is coming to Windows 10 and Xbox One as a full UWP app

Gowans

Kodi is a popular open-source media center app, derived from the old Xbox Media Center, and it's coming back to Xbox in the near future.

Announced at the Windows Developer Day Event (via Neowin) the non-profit XBMC Foundation announced that it is working working on a Universal Windows Platform version of Kodi, allowing it to return to Xbox.

Kodi is currently available for Windows PCs as a Win32 program, and is available from the Windows 10 Store via the desktop app converter. There are some fairly complex methods of getting Kodi working on Xbox One already, but it won't beat a native app.

Kodi hasn't announced a timeframe for when their UWP app will land on the store, nor have they said whether Windows 10 Mobile support would be thrown in, but we'll try and reach out for more information.

http://m.windowscentral.com/kodi-coming-windows-10-and-xbox-one-full-uwp-app

Seems like everyone and their dog has a kodi box around me, seems like a big deal to have the option just to use your xbox when this launches.

StudioTan

Hold on, friend! I'd love to share with you some swell news about the Windows 8 Metro UI! Wait, where are you going?
Full circle.

Lynd7

What do people use to access Kodi on their TV's right now? I still want to setup a NAS eventually.

Wouldn't this be pretty limiting? Like could you setup and configure advancedsettings.xml? Would it be easy to configure pointing to a server based mysql library?

What do people use to access Kodi on their TV's right now? I still want to setup a NAS eventually.

I Use to use Fire TV boxes for a few years but now Shield TV is finally a perfect Kodi box in my eyes. Can't think of any flaws right now and it's better than running it on Linux or Windows.

Lynd7

Wouldn't this be pretty limiting? Like could you setup and configure advancedsettings.xml? Would it be easy to configure pointing to a server based mysql library?

I Use to use Fire TV boxes for a few years but now Shield TV is finally a perfect Kodi box in my eyes. Can't think of any flaws right now and it's better than running it on Linux or Windows.

Hm, ok cool, maybe I'll look into one of those. I want to be able to stream straight MKV rips of my DVDs and Blu Rays eventually at the original quality, guessing one of those would handle that fine.

Wow this could be pretty big for Xbox if they made it as good as the Shield version. It certainly would put a tick in the Xbox Ones favor over a Playstation, and make the Shield less relevant to a lot of people.

pswii60

Do you guys think Kodi will stay around for a long time? I worry it'll get shut-down considering it aggregates so much "free" stuff.
It's the unofficial plug-ins that could shut down, and wherever the streamed content that is being hosted. Shutting down Kodi would be like shutting down the internet just because there's some bad stuff on it. And regardless, Kodi is open source.

Kodi is used completely legitimately by people like me as an incredible way to browse and play your media library. That's what it was designed for and it's still the best at it, I prefer it to Plex due to the customisable skins and LibreELEC.

androvsky

Plex transcodes videos on the fly to it's own streaming format (I believe mp4) whereas Kodi will play your file directly as it's native format (Assuming it's compatible with Kodi).

Plex does not transcode unless the client can't handle the file natively... which is quite common for some clients, especially the Playstation one.

Plex transcodes videos on the fly to it's own streaming format (I believe mp4) whereas Kodi will play your file directly as it's native format (Assuming it's compatible with Kodi).

Just looked some stuff up, yeah seems like Plex is for me considering I'd like to maintain a central home server then access it from whatever device I happen to be on at the time.

JaggedSac

Plex only transcodes if the device can't direct play it. The Bone can handle pretty much everything.

Edit: Beaten

Hm, ok cool, maybe I'll look into one of those. I want to be able to stream straight MKV rips of my DVDs and Blu Rays eventually at the original quality, guessing one of those would handle that fine.

Both a Fire TV and Shield TV can play straight DVD and Blu ray rips just fine. Where the Shield TV has an advantage over the Fire TV is that it can handle 24p, and HD audio codecs like Dolby True HD and DTS-HD MA. That's one of the primary reasons I switched from a Fire TV to a Shield TV.

Would this have any advantage over plex which I already use?

There's lots of advantages, but it will really depend on your needs. I find Kodi to be more flexible, much better at being able to customize and skin, and it's free compared to some of the paid aspects of Plex which always rubbed me the wrong way since they forked off of Kodi and then charged for it. Granted, they started finally ripping out Kodi and moving to their own lately so it's not as much as an issue, but the fact that they built themselves off it always bugged me. Ignoring that aspect, the first two points still stand. I much prefer Kodi over Plex.

Just looked some stuff up, yeah seems like Plex is for me considering I'd like to maintain a central home server then access it from whatever device I happen to be on at the time.

You can still do that with Kodi, and you can set of a central home server. I'm currently doing that which is how I distribute my library throughout the house. Because of the flexibility and customizing I mentioned above, you can even set Plex server to be your back end while Kodi is your front end if you really wanted to still use Plex in some way. There are also other back end server choices you can use too.

louiedog

Would this have any advantage over plex which I already use?

If your server is always on when you want to use it and you're just watching video files then probably not.

If you wanted to host files on a drive connected to say your router, the xbox, or some other network attached device that doesn't run the plex server it could be better.

It could also be used as a frontend for a DVR.

Depending on the addons available that might also give some benefits.

if this supports h.264 10 bit on xbone, color me intrested. since thats the one codec my android tv box shits the brick with.

c0de

This is only interesting if MS exposes whatever they use for hardware video decoding to UWP *and* if Kodi uses it.

Edit: already answered to avoid future quotes :)

Top Bottom