• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

For Honor PC performance thread

JaseC

gave away the keys to the kingdom.

(Click for general game info.)

System requirements:
forhonorsysreqss0rpe.jpg

Latest drivers: (as at 21/12/2017)
Nvidia: 388.71
AMD: 17.12.2
Intel: Depends on your processor; download the driver update utility

Benchmarks:
Computer Base (German; launch build)
GameGPU (Russian; beta build)
OC3D (English; beta build)
OC3D (English; launch build)
PC Games Hardware (German; beta build)
PC Games Hardware (German; launch build)
PCGamesN (English; launch build)

Tips and tricks:
Cap the framerate/potentially improve frametimes: Download RivaTuner Statistics Server, input your desired framerate limit in the "Framerate limit" box, and hit enter (the program comes bundled with MSI Afterburner and earlier versions of EVGA PrecisionX). Alternatively, those with an Nvidia GPU have the option of Nvidia Inspector, which can also be used to impose a framerate cap, either in a similar manner to RTSS or by way of forcing a different vsync interval (click the small tool icon to open the game profile section).
Note: Useful if you your system can't maintain, say, 60fps and you're sensitive to the wild fluctuations, or you're experiencing uneven frametimes. The greater window the engine has to render a given frame, if you're imposing a lower framerate than the game can otherwise provide, may also help in alleviating stuttering related to data streaming.
Stop the game from crashing after 15 minutes on touch-capable systems running Windows 10: Open the task manager, switch to the Services tab and disable TabletInputService.
Enable support for bluetooth adapters, DLL injectors/external hooks and possibly other stuff that ought to work: Disable the game's anti-cheat system by launching it with the command -eac_launcher. To do so if launching the game through Uplay, right-click it -> click "View game details -> select "Properties" from the menu -> click "Add launch arguments" -> input -eac_launcher into the field; if you have the Steam version, right-click it -> click "Properties" -> click "Set launch options" -> input -eac_launcher into the field. Alternatively, if you're running either version via a desktop shortcut, you can achieve the same result by righting-click it -> clicking "Properties" and -> adding -eac_launcher to end of the target field, separating the two with a space.
Note: Disabling EAC will also completely disable the the multiplayer component.

icon_warning.png
When posting your own tip/trick or something else you'd like to see here in the OP, be sure to mention my username as this way the post will appear among the results when I search for my username after an absence. I may miss your suggestion otherwise.

Graphics settings:

Display mode: Windowed; Borderless window; Fullscreen
Display monitor: Self-explanatory
Screen resolution: Self-explanatory
Refresh rate: Self-explanatory
V-sync: Off; Double buffering; Triple buffering
Aspect ratio: Auto; Resolution; 5:4; 4:3; 3:2; 16:10; 5:3; 16:9; 19:10; 21:9
Letterboxing: Off/On
Field of view: 60 -> 90 in increments of 1
Contrast: Self-explanatory

Quality preset: Low; Medium; High; Extreme; Custom
Texture filtering: Trilinear; Anisotropic 2x; Anisotropic 4x; Anisotropic 8x; Anisotropic 16x
Anti-aliasing: Off; FXAA; SMAA; TAA
Render scaling: 25 -> 100 in increments of 5
Geometry detail: Low; Medium; High; Extreme
Texture quality: Low; Medium; High
Dynamic shadows: Off; Low; Medium; High; Extreme
Environmental detail Low; Medium; High
Ambient occlusion: Off; HBAO+; MHBAO
Dynamic reflections: Off/On
Motion blur: Off/On
Supersampling: Off/On (2x)

I want to play, but it won't boot on my PC for some reason.

The background process is there, but the game itself won't appear.

Dalibor68

Banned
Beta gave me 45-50fps on 1080p/High, which I thought was ridiculous.

Win10
GTX 980
i5 3570k
16GB Ram

Maybe it's a CPU bottleneck issue, but other modern games (including other ubi games) are still running fine, so....

Corpsepyre

Banned
I was getting 50-60 fps on a mixture of High and extreme settings with a thing or two set to medium, with high textures. Not sure what's going on, but the beta ran wonderfully.

Core i3 4130 3.4 ghz
AMD R9 280
8 GB DDR3

Game runs beautifully on my 980Ti, never, ever drops below 60fps maxed out at 1080p. I experimented with supersampling and render scaling. SS on and 30% scaling gave very good IQ. Would I be correct in saying it's actually rendering at around 1200p, 'checkerboarding' up to 2160p and then downsampling to 1080p?

I was getting 50-60 fps on a mixture of High and extreme settings with a thing or two set to medium, with high textures. Not sure what's going on, but the beta ran wonderfully.

Core i3 4130 3.4 ghz
AMD R9 280
8 GB DDR3

The benchmark can be erratic. Reset your graphics settings, make them again and run then benchmark a couple of times more to see if the framerate goes up.

Corpsepyre

Banned
The benchmark can be erratic. Reset your graphics settings, make them again and run then benchmark a couple of times more to see if the framerate goes up.

Played the beta for several hours. Didn't run any benchmark tests. Was getting that much throughout the sessions. Wasn't expecting a Ubisoft game to run so well.

EDIT: Sorry, but I forgot to mention in the original post that I have only played the beta, and not the final game. It was the beta I was talking about.

KainXVIII

Beta version works incredibly well on my pc (i5-3570, gtx 970, 8gb ram), 60 fps, 1080p, highest settings (without downsampling). But only with bots, netplay is broken with anitcheat issues.

JaseC

I'm fairly sure RTSS framerate cap works without disabling anything. My benchmark is capped to 60 and you can see it's turned v-sync off.

The framerate cap does, but the overlay doesn't. Where is the benchmark, by the way? I went poking around just before but didn't find it.

The framerate cap does, but the overlay doesn't. Where is the benchmark, by the way? I went poking around just before but didn't find it.
Yeah, the overlay does work. At least it does on mine. I think you press RB in the graphics options for the benchmark.

dr_rus

NV will supposedly release the new driver for For Honor in a couple of hours.

Some benchmarks:

PCGH (Radeons only for the moment)

Beta version benchmarks (doubtful that beta results will change much in the release version):

Overclock3D
PCGH
GameGPU

JaseC

its a combo of standard hbao i think, not nvidias hbao+. i would be surprised if hbao+ was actually inferiorr

Ah, yeah, I misread the description. "A new technique that combines HBAO and MSSAO with reduced flickering, visible AO on borders and SSSO (specular occlusion)."

Kildrek

i7 2600k not OC'ed
gtx 1070
32 gb of ram
windows 10

Solid 60 fps consistently at 1080p. With super sampling and 50 percent render, still solid 60.

at 1440p with everything cranked except super sampling, 45-58

Kudo

i7-6700k & GTX 1070
1440p, all maxed, 80fps.

EDIT: Or not, maps with lots of water for some reason can dip into 50s.

Nheco

Beta

i5 6600k (non oc) 12GB DDR3 (1866)
RX 480 (1340mhz) 8GB

Solid 60 all times with everything maxed @1080p (problably more, but I never tested without vsync)

V_Arnold

FX6300+RX470, stable 60fps at highest settings, but it makes the card go 66c, which I do not like, so I put it down to lows, where the card never goes above 62c.

Benchmark says 90-100 average on high settings, 140+ on low settings, if I remember properly. It is surprisingly okay for something that starts with an NVIDIA splash :p

dr_rus

With how sketchy Nvidia driver releases have been lately I'll hold off for a bit

Can't say I blame ya.

One relevant issue from the release notes of 378.66:
[GM204, ShadowPlay] For Honor silently crashes if intro video is skipped and instant replay is on. [200247313]

It also looks like this driver adds support for OpenCL 2.0 for NV GPUs. Scratch that, it's still 1.2, with some experimental limited features of 2.0 added.

chris121580

Mine defaulted to the Extreme Quality preset and I have a 980 Ti, i76700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB RAM. I ran the benchmark and it was anywhere from 60-70 FPS but it still looked really choppy. I'm not sure why that is. It especially looks choppy when I rotate the camera. I've never had this problem before. Any suggestions on what I can turn down in graphics to help fix this?

Mine went into a custom setting (Via GeForce Experience) and the game and audio are very choppy and uneven.

GeForce GTX 970
Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4790 CPU @ 3.60GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.6GHz
16GB Ram
Win 10

Swarna

Rivatuner and 3rd-party frame limiters in general increase input lag by the nature of their design. Probably worth it for cool GPU's for many people but since this is kind of a competitive game it's worth noting. It's not as bad as v-sync, but yeah.

I wish Ubi would add a native frame limiting option in their games for this reason.

Edit: Examples with OW and CS GO:

https://youtu.be/rs0PYCpBJjc?t=4m9s

This game runs amazing on my 5820K + 390X. 1920x1080 @ 80-100 fps but I turn on vsync to lock it to 60. All maxxed out settings except dynamic reflections off.

Mine defaulted to the Extreme Quality preset and I have a 980 Ti, i76700 CPU @ 3.40GHz, 16 GB RAM. I ran the benchmark and it was anywhere from 60-70 FPS but it still looked really choppy. I'm not sure why that is. It especially looks choppy when I rotate the camera. I've never had this problem before. Any suggestions on what I can turn down in graphics to help fix this?

If you have borderless on try changing to fullscreen. Also make sure double buffered vsync isn't on.

Banned
Recommended cpu is i5-2500k. Haha this cpu will live forever.

I have a 3770k myself but the 2500k is starting to become a meme lol.

Baconmonk

6700k and 1080 here, I get a solid 60 except for rainy and water maps. Weird stuttering, and I can't seem to find the exact setting to turn down water reflections. Not gamebreaking, but annoying considering how well it runs otherwise.

Recommended cpu is i5-2500k. Haha this cpu will live forever.

I have a 3770k myself but the 2500k is starting to become a meme lol.

Well 2500K is still a good CPU for budget oriented gamer, but it's also a serious bottle neck if you have something like GTX1080 or 1070. It's becoming a meme only because you can still get decent performance in latest games, not because it's still on par with latest offerings.

Durante

What? So my 3770k is close to a bottleneck as well then?
For something like 1080p on a high end GPU, in some games, sure.

One thing people ignore when discussing bottlenecks is that in every situation some component is by necessity going to be the bottleneck.

Top Bottom