• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

Ys Origin (PS4/Vita) |OT| Yes, you can start with this one too

krossj

Lots of slow down during boss battles, don't really get bothered by slow down much in general but during the anthropoid boss I had two occasions where it had around 15% hp and the game froze completely. Could be an issues there unless it was just me. Got by it without further issues and now in the fire stage.

Still thoroughly enjoying it, especially the dungeon to boss pacing so far, just a couple of issues with performance here and there.

SMK

This game got a huge patch on the Vita and it ballooned the install size to 2.8 gb. The only thing listed under the patch notes is a "fixed unlocalized software manual". Really weird stuff.

Shizuka

img_0964ldq09.jpg

EricB

Man, I just started playing this again (with Hugo) on Vita and have gotten very hooked in a very short time. I already played through it on Steam (with Yunica) and bought it back when it came out on PS4 but held off on playing it again to wait for the Vita version. I kind of forgot about it since I've been on vacation (with no Vita) since mid-June. This particular era of Ys (VI, Oath, Origins) just strikes a chord with me. I love almost everything about all three games (wish they'd consider putting out Vita versions of the other two actually).

Now I've got a physical (Korean) version of this game coming in a couple of days. Ys and Dragon Quest are pretty much the only games I buy physical anymore—I try not to be a collector/pack rat, but I make an exception for my two favorite series.

Out of curiosity, what was the verdict on this port? I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I don't really tend to notice frame rates and the like. I have noticed some slowdown with the bosses, but it hasn't really bothered me so far. I've also notoced Dot Emu has pushed a couple of patches through recently. Seems they are at least attempting to treat the game well. Really glad to have almost all of my favorite series on one of my favorite platforms!

preta

Man, I just started playing this again (with Hugo) on Vita and have gotten very hooked in a very short time. I already played through it on Steam (with Yunica) and bought it back when it came out on PS4 but held off on playing it again to wait for the Vita version. I kind of forgot about it since I've been on vacation (with no Vita) since mid-June. This particular era of Ys (VI, Oath, Origins) just strikes a chord with me. I love almost everything about all three games (wish they'd consider putting out Vita versions of the other two actually).

Now I've got a physical (Korean) version of this game coming in a couple of days. Ys and Dragon Quest are pretty much the only games I buy physical anymore—I try not to be a collector/pack rat, but I make an exception for my two favorite series.

Out of curiosity, what was the verdict on this port? I'm having a lot of fun with it, but I don't really tend to notice frame rates and the like. I have noticed some slowdown with the bosses, but it hasn't really bothered me so far. I've also notoced Dot Emu has pushed a couple of patches through recently. Seems they are at least attempting to treat the game well. Really glad to have almost all of my favorite series on one of my favorite platforms!

The consensus is that even the PS4 version is worse than the PC version in every way, having occasional slowdown and graphical bugs (ridiculous for a game that was low-spec even when it released in 2006) and having the controls be changed from the PC defaults with no way to reconfigure them outside of changing the button mappings in the universal system settings for the console. Vita is basically the same at half the framerate.

EricB

Well that is too bad; I guess I spoke too soon with my praise for Dot Emu. I haven't run into any graphical glitches yet, and I am satisfied with the control scheme—though I do agree that contols should always be configurable. I guess it doesn't really dampen my enjoyment of the game, and I am having a great time playing it on the Vita.

QisTopTier

XisBannedTier
Anyone mind telling me what this game is similar to? It looks good, but I'm a bit confused by the combat system.

2d Zelda after Link did drugs, with a jump button and magic attacks

Game is more linear than a zelda game though but the game play is some of the best in the business in terms of fun, speed, and fluidity

Edit: Oh and the music is awesome

On the hardest setting the series has probably some of the best bosses in all of gaming

Top Bottom