• Hey, guest user. Hope you're enjoying NeoGAF! Have you considered registering for an account? Come join us and add your take to the daily discourse.

MASS EFFECT: ANDROMEDA – Gameplay Series #1: Combat

Tovarisc

Trailer: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=HrWgLMH8yRU

Went through trailer and screencapped relevant data out of it. Weapons, skills, hazard system...

FyCl4V8.png

https://twitter.com/GambleMike/status/833433469023768576

A good overview of classes/skills, but still there's no continuous footage in that video longer than 15 seconds...

edit: Like a "this is how a whole fight can play out, and here's how you can use various skills" kind of deal. It's just snippets of each ability.

edit2: Its a great video for what it is, however.

Spy

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but having only ever played the first Mass Effect, I wish it had that style of gameplay.

theWB27

I know a lot of people are going to disagree with me but having only ever played the first Mass Effect, I wish it had that style of gameplay.

Subsequent Mass Effects built upon the clunkiness that was ME1. Going back to ME1 would really just mean removing the things that improved combat.

Jibbed

It doesn't look bad as such, but that doesn't look anything like the Mass Effect we've had for the past 10 years.

Really hoping the narrative has taken even half the step up the gameplay seems to have.

HOLY FUCK!! Full on Jedi powers now!!!!!! Jet pack attacks!!!!!

This next month is going to be the greatest month of games in history.

Clunky as hell?

It looks good, Fast-paced, smooth movement and cover and lots of options. Hovering and boosting is great, much better than the dodge roll.

Hixx

Best we've seen of the game so far.

But where was Charge? Did I somehow miss it or did they just not show it off? I need my Charge :<

DesertFox

A good overview of classes/skills, but still there's no continuous footage in that video longer than 15 seconds...

edit: Like a "this is how a whole fight can play out, and here's how you can use various skills" kind of deal. It's just snippets of each ability.

I see this come up a lot. I don't understand why this is important to people.

Are you worried that something in the combat system is broken? I feel like we've seen fights pan out in previous videos where multiple weapons and abilities are used. I'm thinking of that video from a month or two ago where he's fighting several mercenaries and then 2 Atlas mechs get dropped in.

Not trying to stick up for the game... but this is the 4th Mass Effect. We have a pretty good understanding of how the combat works by now.

Metroidvania

People called Romanes they go the house?
I'm definitely seeing DA:I 'mountain pillars' on that desert world in the beginning, lol. That being said, Bioware did a decent job at explaining the basics, though I'm a bit surprised they didn't elaborate more on the re-skill system, given the vast amount of possible combinations.

Also curious to see how potentially overpowered things will get, given how hard it'll be to balance all those options out.

Much more of this actual footage over the next few weeks please, Bioware.

But where was Charge? Did I somehow miss it or did they just not show it off? I need my Charge :<

Unless I'm crazy, It was in there, you saw it briefly right before it 'cut' to a cutscene of FemRyder and crew diving for cover close to the end.

edit: at 5:08 in the video, yeah, it's there.

MartyStu

Finally, Bioware gives me a reason to give a serious fuck about this game.

RPG-wise, this looks significantly better that pretty much every other game in the series except perhaps Mass Effect 1.

Now I am actually considering on paying full price for this.

I see this come up a lot. I don't understand why this is important to people.

Are you worried that something in the combat system is broken? I feel like we've seen fights pan out in previous videos where multiple weapons and abilities are used. I'm thinking of that video from a month or two ago where he's fighting several mercenaries and then 2 Atlas mechs get dropped in.

Not trying to stick up for the game... but this is the 4th Mass Effect. We have a pretty good understanding of how the combat works by now.

The game releases soon. His/hers is a very valid question to ask.

SliChillax

Loving the gameplay, environments though don't do anything for me. Looks nothing like the Mass Effect I love. I know it's a different galaxy and I have no problem in them changing stuff, but I'm not falling in love with what I'm seeing so far. I'm still gonna buy it day one and judge it when I finish it.

Really happy to see the branching skill trees like in ME2 and ME3 (having to choose between 2 different options for a skill type). I loved how that worked, and really let you customize how you wanted your powers to feel.

OVDRobo

It honestly looks like an interesting direction for combat in the series. Looks like a more fleshed-out version of some of the action mechanics from earlier games.

Only issues I can see are the animations being... not great and most of the effects from shooting and powers lacking any sort of impact or weight, except for that biotic charge-looking attack around the 1.00 mark, which looks fantastic.

Heshinsi

"playing" dumb? unpossible
I'm so fucking in. Bioware you are singing my tune right now. That's helluva lot more customisation than I thought this game would have in regards to powers and skills.

Top Bottom